Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

John Mew: To expand palate, avoid touching teeth with tongue  

RSS
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

Thought this was an interesting comment from John Mew in this thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/craniofacialactiongroup/permalink/2925381260871538/

Here's what he said:

"The size or the palate should depend on the size of the tongue but if you touch your teeth with your tongue this does not work. So deliberately make your tongue narrow so that it does not touch your teeth and after a few weeks you will find it will fit.

After another year or so your palate will widen but your tongue must fit inside it and hardly touch the teeth. It is worth the effort because touching the teeth with the tongue is a mojor cause of unattractive faces, bruxing and Jaw joint problems. Prof John Mew."

Does this contradict anyone's method of "ballooning" the tongue in all sides? I've noticed that when I push my tongue against my molars, my under-chin region bloats again as if I'm not mewing.  

Posted : 05/05/2020 11:51 pm
Loliboly liked
sinned
Estimable Member

Seems impossible tbh, even the biobloc appliance touches the teeth does it not? I honestly think the tongue touching the teeth isn't really a big deal, only when the tongue is resting too low does it start to have a negative effect.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 12:41 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

This doesn't make sense when considering my personal experience. I used to get teeth marks on all sides of my tongue in the beginning and my tongue barely had any room to fit in. However, my palate expanded enough to fit my tongue comfortably and now I don't get such marks on my tongue. Even my last wisdom tooth was able to fully erupt in record time because of my tongue staying in contact with my teeth, so I don't think it's a problem, imo. I haven't had any joint or bruxist issues, either.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 2:39 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@drunkwithcoffe

Did he explain his reasoning for this? It certainly seems counter intuitive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 3:27 am
auxiliary
Reputable Member

John and Mike Mew basically don't know anything at all, they post contradictory information all the time, Mike even posted wrong study results and misinterpreted them. Personally I don't place any authority in their ability to share theory anymore, they might be good in practical for children, but in theory they're just full of bull.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 12:52 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @auxiliarus

Mike even posted wrong study results and misinterpreted them.

Where? Link?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 1:26 pm
Thomas22
Estimable Member
Posted by: @drunkwithcoffee

Thought this was an interesting comment from John Mew in this thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/craniofacialactiongroup/permalink/2925381260871538/

Here's what he said:

"The size or the palate should depend on the size of the tongue but if you touch your teeth with your tongue this does not work. So deliberately make your tongue narrow so that it does not touch your teeth and after a few weeks you will find it will fit.

After another year or so your palate will widen but your tongue must fit inside it and hardly touch the teeth. It is worth the effort because touching the teeth with the tongue is a mojor cause of unattractive faces, bruxing and Jaw joint problems. Prof John Mew."

Does this contradict anyone's method of "ballooning" the tongue in all sides? I've noticed that when I push my tongue against my molars, my under-chin region bloats again as if I'm not mewing.  

I assume he’s suggesting you curl your tongue, like a taco shell?

No one would be able to maintain that all day long, and certainly not while they’re sleeping.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 2:22 pm
auxiliary
Reputable Member
Posted by: @azrael
Posted by: @auxiliarus

Mike even posted wrong study results and misinterpreted them.

Where? Link?

He said aboriginals had 50mm IMW, when the study clearly points to 41mm IMW using Mike's way of measuring and 50mm IMW using their way of measuring.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 2:26 pm
Gentleman

@sinned

Exactly, in my opinion there is no problem with that, since the tongue push against the root and the crown of the teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2020 10:39 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Yet the expansion devices they use do in fact touch teeth, so

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2020 10:06 pm