Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Jaw Surgery  

RSS
GrayStallion

Apart from economic reasons,what are the drawbacks of having maxillofacial surgery if you keep correct oral posture and chew mastic gum after the operation?

Posted : 15/05/2018 10:29 am
Couda
Eminent Member

I think it would be harder to remodel the bone after that. A surgery will cut out the whole bone and kill of many arteries leading to the bones. No arteries - no nutrient transport to the bone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 10:51 am
GrayStallion

but it wouldnt need remodeling.Just maintenance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 2:43 pm
Couda
Eminent Member

Surgery does not move everything in harmony. Orbital rims and cheekbones  follow when the maxilla is slowly mowed. If the nutrient arteries are killed, it will be alot harder for you to gain any benefits from mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 3:15 pm
EddieMoney and TGW liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Interesting points @Couda. Did not know all that 

OP, the FAGGA appliance seems to have effects similar to many Lefort surgeries (where they give people a more positively inclined profile). Not my favorite after effect but many Lefort surgeries look the same anyway . Since you have money to drop have you considered that ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2018 3:22 pm
Couda
Eminent Member

What side did you mostly chew on before?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 3:36 pm
Couda
Eminent Member

Stop sleep with pillow against face, i think the pillow stretches and sags the facial muscles and skin, maybe even deforms bone too. Just try to mew symmetric and chew equally on both sides. Like Mike Mew says that the face can be though of a ballon. When a balloon is filled with air, the asymmetries disappear. 
You have asymmetries for a reason, you are not born with it and if you do surgery, it wont fix the underlying cause.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 4:16 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member
Posted by: MamboJambo

i slept with my right side of the face facing the pillow and i think thats the main cause.However there is a genetic predispotion.My mom and my sister both have this assymetry.I dont think its because we all sleep like that.But mew says that mewing can change bone mass?I mean will my left bone grow bigger? Im 16 and 11 months.

Sleeping like that isn't doing you any favours, regardless. Try to sleep on your back.

Also, you're young and thus have a golden opportunity to make some big changes through natural, non-surgical means such as mewing and chewing.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 5:04 pm
Couda
Eminent Member

I think mewing mostly remodels the bone and doesnt increase bone mass. If you chew more one your left side, your left masseter will grow stronger so the bone grows bigger because it needs to hold more muscle. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2018 5:35 am
GrayStallion

My left masseter is already stronger than my right.when i chew with my left side the line connecting my upper and lower lip stops being parrallel with my eyebrows and shifts to the right.Thats why i started chewing only with my right side.Should i chew equally on both sides?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2018 5:39 am
GrayStallion
Posted by: Greensmoothies
Posted by: MamboJambo

i slept with my right side of the face facing the pillow and i think thats the main cause.However there is a genetic predispotion.My mom and my sister both have this assymetry.I dont think its because we all sleep like that.But mew says that mewing can change bone mass?I mean will my left bone grow bigger? Im 16 and 11 months.

Sleeping like that isn't doing you any favours, regardless. Try to sleep on your back.

Also, you're young and thus have a golden opportunity to make some big changes through natural, non-surgical means such as mewing and chewing.

Yes i know.I stopped sleeping like that a year ago and now sleep on my back.I know im lucky to have found out about oral posture at a relatively young age and i can bring my maxilla up and forwards.However i have doubts whether the assymetry of my mandible will ever be corrected without surgery.Should i try mewing until i stop growing and perform the surgery then if i still have the problem?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2018 5:41 am
Couda
Eminent Member

Yes, chew equally. What part of the right mandible is bigger?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2018 6:17 am
GrayStallion

The surgeon didnt specify but looking at my xrays i think the ramus

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2018 6:19 am