Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Isn't this a better appliance than MSE for high arched palate?

6 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Adam35
(@adam35)
Topic starter

MSE can’t guarantee a suture split, especially for males over 20.

The main reason is probably “screw drag” and looking at the MSE I can see why it could happen.

This on the other hand (I don’t know the name of this appliance) can prevent something like screw drag since it installed on the sides of the jew instead of the roof of the mouth.

Does anyone know the name of this appliance and if there is a provider in CA area?

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 2.00.49 AM

What do you think about this vs MSE for high arched palate?

Posted : 06/09/2020 4:26 pm
Agendum
(@agendum)

I found this: http://www.sleepapneasurgery.com/surgical-solutions-for-adults-ease/

Posted : 06/09/2020 4:40 pm
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

Posted by: @adam35

MSE can’t guarantee a suture split, especially for males over 20.

The main reason is probably “screw drag” and looking at the MSE I can see why it could happen.

This on the other hand (I don’t know the name of this appliance) can prevent something like screw drag since it installed on the sides of the jew instead of the roof of the mouth.

Does anyone know the name of this appliance and if there is a provider in CA area?

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 2.00.49 AM

What do you think about this vs MSE for high arched palate?

This expander is used for SARME (a.k.a. SARPE), not por MARME (a.k.a. MARPE). You will not open the suture with it non-surgically.

Posted : 07/09/2020 3:32 am
Adam35
(@adam35)
Topic starter

Agendum Thanks for the link, it was really helpful.

According to the website, Dr. Kasey Li is performing this type of expansion since 2004 so he has a lot of experience with it. I’m definitely considering him for consultation.

My plan was (and still is) to see Dr. Ting for the MSE but now after I’ve watched Ronald Ead’s interview with Dr Ting and Surgeon Dr. Vaughan I know that for males with very narrow palates, a Surgical Assist MSE is needed.

The other appliance is appealing for certain cases and I might be one of these cases so I wanted to get some info on it. One of the reasons is that I’m missing a molar on one side and I also need a root canal for the molar on the other side.. both of these molars are needed for the MSE.

Sergio-OMS I will not open the suture with MSE either non-surgically so the question is which one is the right one.

It actually sounds like Dr. Kasey Li’s “EASE” procedure might be less invasive.

From Dr. Kasey Li’s website:

• EASE is dramatically less invasive compared to other surgical jaw-widening techniques. Instead of making lengthy incisions inside the mouth as is done in other jaw-widening surgeries, EASE involves making a very small pinhole incision. Since no saw is used, EASE minimizes patient trauma, pain and swelling. Most patients do not need pain medications beyond 1-2 days.

• EASE is a single-stage operation in which the distractor is placed at the same time as the bone operation. This is in contrast to other jaw-widening surgeries that are two-step procedures.

• EASE does not require an incision at the front part of the mouth and thus avoids any long-term distortion of the nose and/or upper lip that may have otherwise resulted from muscle stripping and trauma that can occur in other surgical jaw-widening procedures.

Sounds pretty good but I wonder why everyone here talks about the MSE so much but never about this other appliance?

Any info is appreciated, I want to start treatment next month so i’m trying to decide which way to go.

Posted : 07/09/2020 1:01 pm
Agendum and Agendum reacted
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

Posted by: @adam35

Agendum Thanks for the link, it was really helpful.

According to the website, Dr. Kasey Li is performing this type of expansion since 2004 so he has a lot of experience with it. I’m definitely considering him for consultation.

My plan was (and still is) to see Dr. Ting for the MSE but now after I’ve watched Ronald Ead’s interview with Dr Ting and Surgeon Dr. Vaughan I know that for males with very narrow palates, a Surgical Assist MSE is needed.

The other appliance is appealing for certain cases and I might be one of these cases so I wanted to get some info on it. One of the reasons is that I’m missing a molar on one side and I also need a root canal for the molar on the other side.. both of these molars are needed for the MSE.

Sergio-OMS I will not open the suture with MSE either non-surgically so the question is which one is the right one.

It actually sounds like Dr. Kasey Li’s “EASE” procedure might be less invasive.

From Dr. Kasey Li’s website:

• EASE is dramatically less invasive compared to other surgical jaw-widening techniques. Instead of making lengthy incisions inside the mouth as is done in other jaw-widening surgeries, EASE involves making a very small pinhole incision. Since no saw is used, EASE minimizes patient trauma, pain and swelling. Most patients do not need pain medications beyond 1-2 days.

• EASE is a single-stage operation in which the distractor is placed at the same time as the bone operation. This is in contrast to other jaw-widening surgeries that are two-step procedures.

• EASE does not require an incision at the front part of the mouth and thus avoids any long-term distortion of the nose and/or upper lip that may have otherwise resulted from muscle stripping and trauma that can occur in other surgical jaw-widening procedures.

Sounds pretty good but I wonder why everyone here talks about the MSE so much but never about this other appliance?

Any info is appreciated, I want to start treatment next month so i’m trying to decide which way to go.

I think you should consult with the doctors and then decide

Posted : 07/09/2020 3:59 pm
Agendum
(@agendum)

@adam35 Im curious about it too. It might not be as stable for those with a certain maxillary cant since theres no tooth anchorage.

From the images the patients look like they have decent dental arches and lack of vaulted palate so it probably excels in something else. Maybe certain conditions are needed to even be a candidate. I knew about the EASE for some months but couldnt really find enough relevant information to compare and contrast it but it looks like an attractive option.

Main reason for the growing MSE exposure on the internet is due to the specific force it places against the cheekbones (zygomatic buttress) for aesthetic changes but the force of the EASE appliance looks more to be on just the maxillary body which appears to have its own benefits. Im not sure though, might be the next topic of discussion since men are finding themselves needing more invasive methods for denser and stubborn bone.

Posted : 07/09/2020 6:41 pm

THE GREAT WORK