Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Is there any reason to remove these retainers?  

RSS
Community Lurker

Pretty much the title of this thread. Should i remove these fixed retainers? I suppose not since it shouldn't inhibit the expansion of the palate at the mollars but still curious about other peoples thoughts/information about them. I also have these retainers at my lower teeth.

Also, i just noticed i might have gotten results in my lower teeth (expansion?) from hardmewing when comparing these 2 pictures, although it might be angle trickery though, not sure: 

Posted : 03/01/2019 12:12 pm
Topic Tags
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Why?  Don't you like your teeth straight?  I suppose if you wanted to make your teeth crooked, you could opt to do that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 3:33 pm
Shawn

I removed mine 2 years ago from my lower teeth because it was damaged, my lower teeth didn't change at all. I know that because when I try my old plastic retainer that I have stopped using, it fits perfectly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 4:26 pm
Community Lurker
Posted by: darkindigo

Why?  Don't you like your teeth straight?  I suppose if you wanted to make your teeth crooked, you could opt to do that.

I love me some straight teeth, i was wondering though if it could hinder certain progress in regards to mewing (maxilla upswing and palate expansion). I already assumed it wouldn't, and given this answer, it only seems to further confirm my assumption. Although, i do feel inclined to think that my lower retainers might keep the width of my chin the same (as i fear that just mewing and putting pressure against the upper palate doesn't translate well/ as hard enough to counteract the forces of the lower retainer), then again, if i recall correctly, Mike said that these kind of retainers should be able to bend a little bit luckily, and even if they wouldn't, the rest of the lower palate that isn't inhibited by the retainers aside for the front few lower teeth should hopefully expand, which i guess might still be nice(?) if this scenario would be the case; but assumebly shouldn't be according to Mike's statement about fixed retainers. But if these retainers would indeed hinder increasements in expansion of the lower palate, then would it also hinder the expansion of the upper palate knowing that the two are connected with eachother? (if the upper palate expands the lower palate expands with it if i'm not mistaken; so if the lower palate doesn't fully expand could that mean that the upper won't expand either due to their intertwined non individual expansion? Or would it be possible to have expansion in the upper palate without expanding the lower palate? I assume so since i've already seen some cases of that appearantly happening on here). While these questions and 'what if's' float through my mind, i like to believe more now that i'll be fine in regards to your further indirect confirmation of my suspicion and assumption. Thanks for the response; hope i made sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 5:32 pm
Community Lurker

Won't these retainers inhibit suture expansion though? Seeing how the retainers will keep the teeth in place at the front/middle (where the suture lies)  and with that keep the surtures in place..? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2019 8:43 am