Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

is there any point in getting growth appliances without proper tongue posture?  

RSS
tonguecel

I need to know if theres any point in me getting AGGA without mewing because its impossible for me to mew as im severely tongue tied and cant press my tongue against my soft and hard palate. Mind you i have had two tongue tie releases that obviously havent done jack. After the treatment that will supposedly grow my jaw would any growth be lost over time if my tongue isnt able to support my maxilla? Should i just give up so ī can at least save my money

Posted : 12/05/2019 6:30 am
Lee
 Lee
Eminent Member

You do need to be able to support it from what I've heard. Why have 2 releases failed?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2019 11:50 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

Tongue ties will readily reseal unless you're actively doing exercises to keep it open during the healing stages. You can seek treatment with a good myofunctional therapist, tell them that you're getting ready for a release, and they will tailor a program for you. Many, if not most, do Skype sessions, including Sarah Hornsby. @Abdulrahman just started with her and might have some good info on it. Redoing your release correctly will take care of your inability to retain expansion after AGGA treatment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2019 11:09 am
tonguecel
Posted by: Lee

You do need to be able to support it from what I've heard. Why have 2 releases failed?

they failed to allow me to gain mobility of the middle and back part of the tongue. i can rest the front part on my palate but thats it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2019 2:25 pm
tonguecel
Posted by: elevee

Tongue ties will readily reseal unless you're actively doing exercises to keep it open during the healing stages. You can seek treatment with a good myofunctional therapist, tell them that you're getting ready for a release, and they will tailor a program for you. Many, if not most, do Skype sessions, including Sarah Hornsby. @Abdulrahman just started with her and might have some good info on it. Redoing your release correctly will take care of your inability to retain expansion after AGGA treatment.

but that wasnt the issue. i have been doing exercises daily since having both releases. i need mobility in the tongue not myofunctional therapy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2019 2:28 pm
James
Eminent Member

AGGA gives a lot of tongue space. For someone like me who's biggest problem is lack of forward growth, AGGA helped me a lot. Myofunctional therapy got way easier with every mm of space that has opened up. If your tongue is still tethered, then you might not be able to benefit from the increased space.

I don't quite understand your situation. Are you still tongue-tied after 2 surgeries? Did it improve at all? If your tongue is still tethered, then that needs to be fixed. If your tongue is weak and poorly coordinated, then you need myofunctional therapy. Consulting with a myofunctional therapist could help determine what is going on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2019 10:24 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Sarah Horsnby offers a free first session for assessment. Sign up for one and have them give you their thought on your unique condition. But what you are describing really sounds strange.

The other thing, FAGGA will not work in your if you can't stimulate the pad with your tongue.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2019 12:27 am
tonguecel
Posted by: James

AGGA gives a lot of tongue space. For someone like me who's biggest problem is lack of forward growth, AGGA helped me a lot. Myofunctional therapy got way easier with every mm of space that has opened up. If your tongue is still tethered, then you might not be able to benefit from the increased space.

I don't quite understand your situation. Are you still tongue-tied after 2 surgeries? Did it improve at all? If your tongue is still tethered, then that needs to be fixed. If your tongue is weak and poorly coordinated, then you need myofunctional therapy. Consulting with a myofunctional therapist could help determine what is going on.

no, nothing improved at all. i have been ''mewing'' for a year now and have done things like tongue chewing and other myofunctional exercises so if strength was my issue then that would have been fixed a long time ago

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2019 5:37 am
tonguecel
Posted by: Abdulrahman

Sarah Horsnby offers a free first session for assessment. Sign up for one and have them give you their thought on your unique condition. But what you are describing really sounds strange.

The other thing, FAGGA will not work in your if you can't stimulate the pad with your tongue.

if she can give a free consultation then i might as well see her

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2019 5:37 am
elevee
Trusted Member

It sounds like you may have a posterior tongue tie, and that your procedures only addressed anterior issues? It sounds like something is restricted in the back. Hopefully Sarah can give some insight. Let us know what you hear!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2019 9:51 am
tonguecel

UPDATE: got my scans back that i had done for in preparation for the appliance. in one photo you can clearly see the tip of my tongue up on the palate ridge but then the rest of the tongue hangs down and is obstructing my airway. in another shot you can see my upper left wisdom tooth growing above my molars. this is preventing me from getting treatment because my orthodontist said i need to remove some wisdom teeth in order for the appliance to do its job. obviously i dont want to rush into having any teeth ripped out so im in a big dilemma. what are your opinions on this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2019 10:10 am
tonguecel

ive been trying proper tongue posture since april last year boyo, i dont need more people telling me that i just need to ''stretch more''

i wish it were that simple

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2019 2:07 pm
tonguecel

with a posterior tongue tie which i obviously have, the fibres are more thick and wont stretch with time. also unfortunately the majority of dentists are evidently not trained in dealing with these tongue ties effectively

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2019 4:47 pm