Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Is there an expander for the lower palate?  

RSS
Clauddiggs

I know the lower palate is supposed to follow the upper palate if expansion occurs, however, my lower palate is significantly more narrow than my upper palate to begin with. All of my lower molars are tipped in as well, whereas the top ones are not. Even if I was just able to upright my lower molars (and not expand my palate), I would be satisfied, as I believe it would improve my lower face. I see there is a section called "Double Plates" on bracesshop. Would any of those work?

Posted : 02/05/2018 4:07 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Yes there are few expanders for the lower arch but your description of your teeth doesn't make sense. If the lower arch is very narrow shouldn't the molars be tipped out to meet the upper ones?

Here is one example of a a lower arch expander 

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2018 12:00 am
Clauddiggs

I'm not sure why my lower molars are tipped in. Perhaps from years of improper swallowing? Anyway, thanks for the response.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2018 10:47 am
MagnumOpus
Eminent Member

@clauddiggs, I am also interested in expanding my lower jaw. I am considering buying this from bracesshop.
https://www.bracesshop.net/en/double-plates/6/double-feed-plates?number=0015&c=58

Btw, does anyone know what the 2 bent metal things are coming out of the upper expander?

These look like they are coming out of where you would want to place your tongue, if you were trying to maintain good tongue posture while having the upper expander in. So I am not sure what they are.

I would like to encourage lateral/transverse skeletal growth in the lower jaw, not just tooth tipping. This has limits since the lower jaw does not have a suture, but some sources say it is possible, although only a few millimeters. The lower jaw, specifically the lower intercanine distance, is considered the "bottleneck" of expansion.

For me, my lower jaw is slightly wider, so my lower molars are tipped inward. So the lower jaw is a bottleneck because if I expand my upper jaw until the lower teeth tip so they point straight up to maintain occlusion, I will not be able to expand my upper jaw any further because my lower jaw has tipped maximally. So I would like to expand my lower jaw and upper jaw together. I know the upper jaw is possible at least, but even a couple mm on my lower jaw would be nice.

-MO

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 8:13 pm
Jawanomics
Eminent Member

ALF

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2019 1:27 pm
MagnumOpus
Eminent Member
Posted by: Jawanomics

ALF

True, ALFs are placed on both upper and lower jaws. So does this mean there is a faster way to expand the lower jaw despite there not being a suture? I mean, an ALF on your upper jaw will expand, but due to the light force it may take years to get the same results that a rapid palatal expander could get in months (Like the one used by the site admin, one that is removable, has acrylic on it to put pressure onto the palate instead of only the teeth and worn for 12+ hours a day).

So is there a quicker way to expand the lower jaw? Like the lower half of the "Double feed plates" I linked in my post above?

-MO

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2019 8:25 pm