Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

Is the front of the palate being curved downwards an indicator of downward/long growth?  

RSS
zegtv
(@zegtv)

Edited: 5 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2018 9:33 am
zegtv
(@zegtv)

As opposed to

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2018 9:34 am
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator

It can be an indicator of both undeveloped palate and downward maxillary growth. Contrary to what many intuitively think, palatal expansion causes the posterior palate to swing down and forward in relation to the anterior palate and the rest of the skull. As a consequence, the upper dental arch will gain more height (downward), increasing the length of ramus, and leading to a more horizontal appearance of the jaw along with increased postural suppport. The effect can be simulated by placing a pen between your molars and biting on it. You will probably find it easier to keep your spine sraight and your mandible will look better.

Likewise, a narrow smile is not only the result of molars hiding behind the premolars, but the posterior palate being positioned too UP in the skull. This also implies that if one side of your palate is lower than the other, the lower side may often actually be your more developed side, especially if the tip of your nose is curved towards the opposite, higher side.

Edited: 5 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2018 10:20 am Apollo liked
Apollo
(@apollo)
Reputable Member

I agree with the concept that we want the posterior hard palate to swing down as the anterior palate swings up and the palate widens, increasing the overall nasal breathing space. The roof of my mouth is lower on the right than the left like my occlusal plane, which cants down on the right. However, the tip of my nose points toward my lower right side (along with my right-of-center dental midline). The bridge of my nose points left of center toward my higher side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2018 3:04 pm
Gange
 Gange
(@Gange)

Progress your post is blowing my mind. Could you show where you read this or how you found out?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2018 7:09 pm
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator

@gange It is what seems evident to me. If you have questions, ask them so I can attempt to deepen the understanding of us both. If you have rational reasons to disagree with me, I welcome them too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2018 8:44 pm
Gange
 Gange
(@Gange)
Posted by: Progress

@gange It is what seems evident to me. If you have questions, ask them so I can attempt to deepen the understanding of us both. If you have rational reasons to disagree with me, I welcome them too.

I was just wondering if you read it somewhere. I've searched for research papers and I have read a few that confirms what you said about palate expansion moving the maxilla forwards. Almost every time there was expansion they noted sagittal movement as well. But the idea of the whole maxilla rotating with the back coming down and the front going up is a good idea. Maybe it is not actually growing any more with mewing, it is already its proper size it just needs to be repositions 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2018 12:17 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register