Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Is Squared Jaw Inevitable with Mewing?  

RSS
jboi99x

Hi all, I'm pretty satisfied with my jaw structure and general face shape. I'm afraid that mewing in attempt to change bone structure will shorten my face too much. I've started resting my tongue on my palette with suction to improve tongue posture. Will this make my jaw appear super square? Is there any way I can develop stronger masseter muscles and have more hollow cheeks without changing my bone structure?

Posted : 12/11/2019 5:14 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @jboi99x

Hi all, I'm pretty satisfied with my jaw structure and general face shape. I'm afraid that mewing in attempt to change bone structure will shorten my face too much. I've started resting my tongue on my palette with suction to improve tongue posture. Will this make my jaw appear super square? Is there any way I can develop stronger masseter muscles and have more hollow cheeks without changing my bone structure?

That will only happen if you chew too much. Mewing itself doesn't do that facial shortening stuff. It widens your midface but can't make your skull vertically shorter. It makes you wide faced not short faced. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 12:27 am
buria

@eddiemoney

So chewing makes the face shorter?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 7:49 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@buria

He means that chewing will make your face shorter but will still have your midface long in proportion to its width.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 8:11 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @buria

@eddiemoney

So chewing makes the face shorter?

Chewing overdone can deepen an overbite which in turn shortens the lower face. This doesn't affect such measurements as the distance from eyes to lips, however. That remains unchanged. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 8:28 am
HyperMewer

@eddiemoney

Can chewing less reverse this effect?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2019 6:53 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @hypermewer

@eddiemoney

Can chewing less reverse this effect?

Depends, I think maybe palate expansion can reverse it much better especially if it rotates the mandible clockwise. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2019 8:17 pm