Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Is it possible to widen the forehead (frontal bone)  

RSS
megamandude
Trusted Member

My cheekbones are significantly wider than my forehead,  giving my face an egg look. Is there anyway through mewing or something else to widen the frontal bone?

Posted : 19/03/2020 9:54 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

Surgery, custom made PEEK implant... but that would also leave a scar, normally hidden in the hair, as it needs a coronal approach. That could be a problem if you have a tendency to baldness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/03/2020 9:16 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

I'd say temporalis muscles would probably be something to look into.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/03/2020 11:00 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Chew up and backwards to stimulate the temporalis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/03/2020 11:36 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @eddiemoney

Will doing the opposite stimulate the masetters more?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2020 3:40 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

It's possible to chew with the temporalis without the backwards movement, I'm afraid the backwards movement may move the maxilla back. To do this just tense the medial pterygoid and the temporalis on the opposite side of the one you're chewing on. It should be a slow movement as well, maybe even kind of relaxed chewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2020 10:56 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @azrael

Will doing the opposite stimulate the masetters more?

No, forward chewing is done by the medial pterygoid muscles. The masseter-only pattern would be only upwards, no movement backwards or forwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2020 10:57 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @auxiliarus

just tense the medial pterygoid and the temporalis on the opposite side of the one you're chewing on. It should be a slow movement as well, maybe even kind of relaxed chewing.

How do you do this?

By the way, in the few weeks I have been doing up and backwards chewing, my posterior open bite on my right has closed somewhat more. Did this move the maxilla back? Probably but my profile looks better and my bite fits better, too. To be honest this "backward" movement of the maxilla may just be the maxilla lengthening because when I brush I also feel more room behind my right molar where previously it used to feel tight. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2020 11:33 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

just tense the medial pterygoid and the temporalis on the opposite side of the one you're chewing on. It should be a slow movement as well, maybe even kind of relaxed chewing.

How do you do this?

By the way, in the few weeks I have been doing up and backwards chewing, my posterior open bite on my right has closed somewhat more. Did this move the maxilla back? Probably but my profile looks better and my bite fits better, too. To be honest this "backward" movement of the maxilla may just be the maxilla lengthening because when I brush I also feel more room behind my right molar where previously it used to feel tight. 

There isn't a way to give instructions to do it. It's like asking how do people raise their arm? You just keep trying to you feel your masseter relaxed, pterygoid and temporalis tense. It should feel like a natural movement. To me it feels a lot like relaxed chewing, like I'm barely trying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2020 10:43 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

How do you do this?

There isn't a way to give instructions to do it. It's like asking how do people raise their arm? You just keep trying to you feel your masseter relaxed, pterygoid and temporalis tense. It should feel like a natural movement. To me it feels a lot like relaxed chewing, like I'm barely trying.

Ok then I will keep chewing in various ways. Forward, back, clockwise, counterclockwise, and use all teeth. I am sure I will work the necessary muscles by not focusing too much on one motion.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2020 5:26 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

How do you do this?

Ok then I will keep chewing in various ways. Forward, back, clockwise, counterclockwise, and use all teeth. I am sure I will work the necessary muscles by not focusing too much on one motion.  

How do you the find out which muscle make the face look worse and which ones make it look better? There's no useful studies we can get data from, we can just keep trying and trying. Even the CSA studies are useless, as it's a question of which came first, the facial shape or the hypertrophied muscle?

From my personal experience, I gathered this :

Masseter-focus : bad for TMJ, rotates maxilla clockwise, causes headaches, makes chin look worse, shortens the face significantly, makes chin kind of pointy?.

Temporalis-focus : really widens the zygos like crazy, possibly shortens the face, pushes the maxilla backwards and upwards, rotates maxilla clockwise.

Medial Pterygoid-focus : didn't try this one out much, feels like it really widens the teeth at the premolar point. This one is interesting as it directly attaches to back maxilla.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2020 9:38 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

The whole point is to engage all muscles. Imbalances happen when just a few are overused. When I chew I feel all those muscles fire. And as a result my maxilla has both moved down, forward, backward, and out. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2020 10:53 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

The whole point is to engage all muscles. Imbalances happen when just a few are overused. When I chew I feel all those muscles fire. And as a result my maxilla has both moved down, forward, backward, and out. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're talking about stimulating bone growth without moving it by applying even forces in all directions?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2020 10:45 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're talking about stimulating bone growth without moving it by applying even forces in all directions?

I don't know if it's bone growth or just postural changes. Kind of like how someone's shoulders would seem broader by working their lats.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2020 11:29 am
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

@EddieMoney

When I clench my jaw my jaw muscles make my jaw look less sharp. Here are photos for examples:

Clenched jaw:

Resting jaw:

how can I make my jaw muscles look something like Astro Sky’s? Is it possible?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2020 2:20 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @harrykanemaxilla

@EddieMoney

When I clench my jaw my jaw muscles make my jaw look less sharp. Here are photos for examples:

Clenched jaw:

Resting jaw:

how can I make my jaw muscles look something like Astro Sky’s? Is it possible?

Fat loss

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2020 8:02 pm
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

I am skinny. Also my ramus looks bad aswell. Even with no fat on it I doubt my CFD skull and muscles could give me prominent bones.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2020 8:07 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @harrykanemaxilla

@eddiemoney

I am skinny. Also my ramus looks bad aswell. Even with no fat on it I doubt my CFD skull and muscles could give me prominent bones.

Probably need palate expansion and fat loss. What is your body fat percentage?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2020 2:34 pm
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

I have a narrow palette and my body fat is 12%.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2020 6:57 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

I'm in a similar boat to @harrykanemaxilla : I'm skinny (in fact, on the threshold of being a little underweight), and my face looks similar to his from the front - same jawline, and my cheeks appear chubby. I think I have a Class 2 Div 2 bite, but my orthodontist shifted my teeth around so that it's hard to even tell at this point. In any case, I had an overbite, and my teeth were moved to cover up this problem without honestly addressing it. I have proclined incisors.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:07 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @elwynn

@eddiemoney

I'm in a similar boat to @harrykanemaxilla : I'm skinny (in fact, on the threshold of being a little underweight), and my face looks similar to his from the front - same jawline, and my cheeks appear chubby. I think I have a Class 2 Div 2 bite, but my orthodontist shifted my teeth around so that it's hard to even tell at this point. In any case, I had an overbite, and my teeth were moved to cover up this problem without honestly addressing it. I have proclined incisors.

The reason your cheeks and his appear chubby is because your face most likely lacks vertical height. I am sure I am fatter now than when I began and my face doesn't look chubby at all due to the fact that it got longer as it got wider. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 1:11 pm