Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Is it possible to reduce ramus length?  

RSS
Community Lurker

Hello, so i've been chewing the past few months for the aesthetic improvements in cheekbone mass, but, as a side effect my ramus has now increased in length (more so in comparison to the width i've gained in my cheekbones) and i kind of hate it, it ruins my harmony making my face look longer and less wide. The only answer i've gotten to this question was that breaking your jaw can reduce ramus lenght (someone's experience), although call me crazy but that doesn't sound ideal. I know that a longer ramus is normally considered a good thing for a man, but like i mentioned before, it messes with my harmony and would require me to gain more facial width while my palate seems to have stagnated a lot in intermollar width increasements (i've still just been mewing for over just a year now so i'm going to assume and hope that there's more to expand, but haven't seemingly had (i say seemingly since i haven't been measuring my IMW, which i should to be fair) much more results after the first 6 months in palate widening) so i'm not sure how i'll be able to achieve that, luckily i just recently turned 20 and it's said that after this age people still experience overall facial width increases, so if it's not possible i'm not completely hopeless. Are there any ways that it's possible to reduce ramus length though? Surgery? Really scratching for anything here. I was getting used to enjoying the effects mewing has been giving me and the improvements it gave me in looks and breathing but i really feel like i've suddenly shot myself in the foot now.

Posted : 25/11/2019 4:30 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Folks! Do you inform yourself before doing things?!

Ramus lengthening Is NOT a side effect, that's what is supposed to happen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2019 4:56 am
Community Lurker

I am very much aware that it is 'supposed to happen' as a result of chewing and increasing masseter size,  I did about 2-3 hours of chewing a day for about a month or 2-3 cause it was also said that these kind of durations would improve cheekbone mass which it also did a bit, i kind of ignored the effects it would have on my ramus, assuming it would look fine, but in hindsight now, i question that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2019 5:59 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member
Posted by: @community-lurker

I am very much aware that it is 'supposed to happen'

i kind of ignored the effects it would have on my ramus

Maybe you ignored the effect that this change has on your look . That is a totally different ball game. You are just unhappy with It.

If you did your homework correctly, probably you are beginning to look how you are supposed too and as conseguence, getting  more functional

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2019 12:11 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I am very much aware that it is 'supposed to happen' as a result of chewing and increasing masseter size,  I did about 2-3 hours of chewing a day for about a month or 2-3 cause it was also said that these kind of durations would improve cheekbone mass which it also did a bit, i kind of ignored the effects it would have on my ramus, assuming it would look fine, but in hindsight now, i question that.

Chewing does little to nothing for cheekbones. I have never seen a before/after comparison where anything but mandible growth happened. 

I don't chew and my cheekbones have outgrown my mandible (an ideal outcome since it increases fwhr)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2019 4:19 pm
Community Lurker

@eddiemoney

Do you define mandible growth as ramus lengthening or actual widening of the mandible aswell?

Have you noticed cheekbone mass increasements after 1 year of mewing / have been able to expand palate more after 1 year of mewing? Also isn't fwhr unrelated to mandible size? But only related to the midface height and facial width (cheekbone to cheekbone)? Or are you talking about it creating an illusion of higher fwhr due to a smaller mandible in comparison?

As to chewing helping cheekbones, the logic goes that becaue the masseters are attached to the zygomatic bones and the ramus/mandible, that chewing would put stress on both of these regions and therefore increase bone mass in both areas. Also chewing puts stress on the whole maxilla as a whole so shouldn't it therefore cause improvements in bone mass across the whole maxilla?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/11/2019 8:33 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@eddiemoney

Do you define mandible growth as ramus lengthening or actual widening of the mandible aswell?

Both, the bone grows both ways in all adults (it grows more in males than females however)

Have you noticed cheekbone mass increasements after 1 year of mewing / have been able to expand palate more after 1 year of mewing?

Yes and yes. More expansion occurred in my first year than the next.

Also isn't fwhr unrelated to mandible size? But only related to the midface height and facial width (cheekbone to cheekbone)? Or are you talking about it creating an illusion of higher fwhr due to a smaller mandible in comparison?

Fwhr is unrelated to mandible size which is why I never pursued mandible growth as a main goal. Midface ratio is unaffected by cheekbone width since it affects spacing between the eyes and the mouth. You can have a wide faced person with a long midface. The cheeks growing out however increases fwhr since it doesn't take the eyes into account, just the actual width of the face. But if your cheekbones grow wider, your fwhr increases. 

As to chewing helping cheekbones, the logic goes that becaue the masseters are attached to the zygomatic bones and the ramus/mandible, that chewing would put stress on both of these regions and therefore increase bone mass in both areas. Also chewing puts stress on the whole maxilla as a whole so shouldn't it therefore cause improvements in bone mass across the whole maxilla?

Not really. The cheekbones grow outward, not necessarily upward. Chewing places upward stress, so any sort of force on the cheeks won't involve them being pushed out in any way. Any stress on the maxilla would be in the form of pushing it upwards which really wouldn't cause any changes to the cheekbones. In fact, I have read so many "unsuccess" stories of people whose ogee curve decreased or went away altogether from chewing. While their face shortened, their cheekbones eventually were overpowered by the mandible. 

Besides, the attachment site of the muscle isn't necessarily going to cause a bone to look more prominent. That's like wanting your clavicles to look more prominent by working your pectoral muscles. The pecs attach on the clavicles (one head does) and the sternum, and neither bone looks overdeveloped in bodybuilders. In fact, the more someone works their chest, the less their collarbone or ribcage shows. The masseter hypertrophy therefore wouldn't necessarily guarantee that any bone beneath it will be more visible as a result. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/11/2019 11:04 am