Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Interesting forces when changing lower jaw position!  

RSS
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Need some expert input here.

I just realized I've been giving myself a slight underbite when mewing.  I guess somehow this makes it easier to make contact with the soft palate.  My natural bite is a very slight overbite.

When I correct this and move my lower jaw back to maintain my normal bite lineup while also raising the posterior third, as well as when I move it just a tiny bit further back so that my molars align, I experience a lot of tension in my lower jaw.  Feels like the kind of force that could remold it.

Should I keep doing this, or will it lead to TMJ problems?  Should I just be letting myself experience a slight underbite while mewing?

Posted : 30/08/2019 1:12 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Hi,

If your occlusion Is fine don't alter it It with mewing. Keep your normal bite, in particular if your back molars make contact. Rather improve your upper lip seal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2019 3:16 am
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

@Kyte, makes sense, thanks for the input!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2019 4:25 pm