Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Intense sensations in my face - Should I get worried or excited?  

RSS
Loliboly
Estimable Member

This is my current situation: During the last couple of weeks, my tongue posture has improved considerably. I am now able to engage my posterior third to such extent that the area below my chin more or less looks the same as when I shut of my airway. This in turn has resulted in very strong sensations all around my face. They are the most notable in my nose, where it feels like it is being pushed upwards and out from the skull. These sensations may also extend along my mid palatal suture, down between my upper incisors. All of this is sometimes accompanied by upwards pressure in my cheekbones. Sometimes, they may start hurting slightly as well. And on certain days I even feel pressure and tingeling all around my cranium. If I go one step further and do hard back mewing, my masseters somehow feels slightly engaged, even though they don’t flex.

Now to my question: Is this a good or a bad sign? For some people, the obvious answer would be that it is good, since the sensations seems to indicate that expansion and movement is taking place. But since the sensations are as strong as they are, I am afraid that I may harm myself in some way. I would greatly appreciate your input. If you think this is a good sign, and are interested in experiencing these sensations for yourself, just let me know and I will try to explain what I did to get them.

Posted : 28/08/2020 2:53 pm
Limebike
Eminent Member
Posted by: @loliboly

This is my current situation: During the last couple of weeks, my tongue posture has improved considerably. I am now able to engage my posterior third to such extent that the area below my chin more or less looks the same as when I shut of my airway. This in turn has resulted in very strong sensations all around my face. They are the most notable in my nose, where it feels like it is being pushed upwards and out from the skull. These sensations may also extend along my mid palatal suture, down between my upper incisors. All of this is sometimes accompanied by upwards pressure in my cheekbones. Sometimes, they may start hurting slightly as well. And on certain days I even feel pressure and tingeling all around my cranium. If I go one step further and do hard back mewing, my masseters somehow feels slightly engaged, even though they don’t flex.

Now to my question: Is this a good or a bad sign? For some people, the obvious answer would be that it is good, since the sensations seems to indicate that expansion and movement is taking place. But since the sensations are as strong as they are, I am afraid that I may harm myself in some way. I would greatly appreciate your input. If you think this is a good sign, and are interested in experiencing these sensations for yourself, just let me know and I will try to explain what I did to get them.

Interesting. In your first paragraph, are you using the suction method? How old are you?

Regarding the engagement of the masseters when hard mewing: The tongue and the masseters are somewhat antagonistic to each other. If you press your tongue very firmly on the roof of the mouth, this will have an opening effect on your jaw. To keep your lower jaw shut, your masseters are engaged. This is normal, I think.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 5:14 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member
Posted by: @limebike
Interesting. In your first paragraph, are you using the suction method?
I use suction for the front and middle. I push with the posterior third to get it to touch my soft palate. The amount of pressure here is generally soft to medium, and occasionally hard.

How old are you?

I am 25.

Regarding the engagement of the masseters when hard mewing: The tongue and the masseters are somewhat antagonistic to each other. If you press your tongue very firmly on the roof of the mouth, this will have an opening effect on your jaw. To keep your lower jaw shut, your masseters are engaged. This is normal, I think.

I have heard about this idea. But again, what boggles me is that my massaters feels engaged, but yet don’t flex. In other words, if I touch them while hard mewing, they feel as soft to my fingers as when I don’t hard mew. But the muscles themselves feels engagement. I hope I am making sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 5:59 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @loliboly

If I go one step further and do hard back mewing, my masseters somehow feels slightly engaged, even though they don’t flex.

I think the sensations are a good thing and on top of that, this masseter engagement. I feel it when I'm mewing as well, all the time. It was also recommended by helmutstrebl on Reddit as an indication that you're mewing correctly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 11:23 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael

It is always reassuring when you do something similar to Helmutstrebl, lol! Your response also reminded me of your progress. Didn’t you have quite some pain around your wisdom teeth, before they finally erupted? I have been having some pain there as well from time to time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2020 7:50 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

@loliboly Haha yeah, dude seems worth paying attention to.

And yes, I did have some pain but it was one of the earliest results and went away as soon as the tooth erupted. Apparently the wisdom teeth eruption and suture split are some of the most commonly reported early results of mewing from what I've seen on Reddit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2020 10:04 am