fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Incisor chewing with overbite

OkBrah

Incisor chewing with my current bite is only resulting in teeth tipping. Feel like I must jut my mandible while chewing but i am worried this will also worsen resting bite

Topic starter Posted : 27/12/2020 7:51 pm
Meowxilla
Trusted Member

How long are you incisior chewing? I am doing it for a couple of days. Trying to eliminate my deep bite. I thought that i could push those 4 front incisiors back into their gums by chewing only by them.

So you are only experiencing tipping. Should i stop doing this since i was alarmed even before i started that it's bad?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/12/2020 10:18 pm
judicator.v2

correct me if i wrong, chewing force will increase alveolar bone size so molar chewing is helping in ccw rotation. less teeth contact means less force this should cause alveolar bone loss. so to molar chewing and keeping incisors apart will help ccw rotation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2021 7:50 pm
auxiliary
Reputable Member
Posted by: @meowxilla

How long are you incisior chewing? I am doing it for a couple of days. Trying to eliminate my deep bite. I thought that i could push those 4 front incisiors back into their gums by chewing only by them.

So you are only experiencing tipping. Should i stop doing this since i was alarmed even before i started that it's bad?

Posted by: @okbrah

Incisor chewing with my current bite is only resulting in teeth tipping. Feel like I must jut my mandible while chewing but i am worried this will also worsen resting bite

I don't think your overbites will get fixed by incisor chewing, but I don't know what will. Tongue posture seems to work in adults in reducing overbite.

Posted by: @judicator-v2

correct me if i wrong, chewing force will increase alveolar bone size so molar chewing is helping in ccw rotation. less teeth contact means less force this should cause alveolar bone loss. so to molar chewing and keeping incisors apart will help ccw rotation. 

You're wrong. The size increase will lead to negligible effects on the maxilla. If anything, typical clenching and chewing is correlated to CW maxilla rotation and CCW mandible rotation while shortening the face, especially the lower face.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2021 4:16 am
krollic
Reputable Member
Posted by: @auxiliarus

If anything, typical clenching and chewing is correlated to CW maxilla rotation and CCW mandible rotation while shortening the face, especially the lower face.

I thought we wanted ccw maxilla rotation. are you against chewing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2021 4:42 am
auxiliary
Reputable Member
Posted by: @krollic
Posted by: @auxiliarus

If anything, typical clenching and chewing is correlated to CW maxilla rotation and CCW mandible rotation while shortening the face, especially the lower face.

I thought we wanted ccw maxilla rotation. are you against chewing?

I didn't achieve favorable effects from molar chewing(temporal muscle pattern) so personally I am against chewing excessively. I think chewing is great for stimulating bone growth, but the bone movements arising from prolonged chewing in my opinion are unideal.

Also you misread my comment, I said chewing is correlated to CW maxilla rotation, not CCW and at the same time a CCW mandible rotation. Basically chewing makes your mandible shorter in height, I doubt there is actual maxilla rotation, more that the maxilla shortens and thus the angle changes towards the CW direction.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 8:02 am
TheBeastPanda
Trusted Member

@judicator-v2 what??? doesn't molar chewing cause cw rotation

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2021 12:24 pm