NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

IMW Measurement  

RSS
itsj0nny

Hi all, just wondering how people are measuring their intermolar width?

I understand the most accurate and effective method is with calipers and dental casts; is there a way you can do this without visiting a dentist/orthodontist, or a cheaper alternative of doing it?

Want to measure my progress on this but reluctant to spend money on casts just so I can measure this.

Thanks

Posted : 23/04/2019 9:30 am
Melius

To measure my starting IMW for now (will get it properly measured before I do MSE) I used my plastic retainers and a measuring tape. How much do casts cost and how do you get them?

-Melius

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 10:43 am
itsj0nny

Good idea, I will use my plastic retainers for my initial measurement. Still unsure of how to do subsequent measurements.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 11:19 am
Youssef El Kaisi
Eminent Member

I read in some thread in this forum that by biting on a carboard and leaving your teeth print there, you could measure it. It is better explained in that another thread but I don't remember the name.

Youssef

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 11:28 am
itsj0nny liked
Melius

The cardboard thing seems like a smart idea as well.

-Melius

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 2:24 pm
Youssef El Kaisi
Eminent Member
Posted by: Melius

To measure my starting IMW for now (will get it properly measured before I do MSE) I used my plastic retainers and a measuring tape. How much do casts cost and how do you get them?

-Melius

I think around 50$

Youssef

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2019 10:53 am
elevee
Trusted Member

I bought impression trays for 5 bucks and a pound of dental alginate for 10, both on ebay with free shipping. You'll have to buy plaster of paris, also under 10 bucks at a hardware or craft store, to complete the process. Look for tutorials on how to cast your teeth (usually for people who want to make their own Halloween prosthetics) on how to do it. Paper impressions do work, kind of, but casts are not expensive and I'm just that kind of neurotic that I want them. Those materials would be sufficient for many casts--say every 6 months for several years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2019 10:08 am
itsj0nny

Perfect, that was the information I was looking for....thanks a lot!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2019 3:50 pm