Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I'm thinking MMA surgery might be needed in my case.

14 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
rgm
 rgm
(@rgm)
Topic starter

So I’m 33/m with recessed jaws, crooked teeth, and worst of all mild sleep apnea that leaves my feeling tired/brain foggy all the time. My bite however is correct and my profile is pretty good from the front,  less so from the side. Have been mewing correctly for about a year now and have seen some positive results in the way of posture and breathing, but don’t feel I look much different and sleep apnea is still a struggle. I feel like mewing alone will not increase my airway fast enough to cure the sleep apnea so I’m looking into surgical options. MMA or double jaw surgery from what I’ve read seems like the most sure way to cure the sleep apnea as well help with my profile from the side view from a weak chin. I know It won’t fix narrowness but I can look in the mirror and see my problem is more with forward projection than width. I figure I can get enough forward projection from the surgery that I need and then just keep mewing and take whatever width might come with it in time.

Would love to hear any of your thoughts on all this. If you think there is a better route I’m all ears. I’ve read of people having “relapse” from MMA which I assume is because there tongue posture isn’t correct and over time the jaws recess back to where they were. Any truth to that? Also do you think MMA will open the airway enough to feel a difference in day to day nasal breathing?  Thanks for any help.

Posted : 06/03/2020 6:38 am
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

Posted by: @rgm

So I’m 33/m with recessed jaws, crooked teeth, and worst of all mild sleep apnea that leaves my feeling tired/brain foggy all the time. My bite however is correct and my profile is pretty good from the front,  less so from the side. Have been mewing correctly for about a year now and have seen some positive results in the way of posture and breathing, but don’t feel I look much different and sleep apnea is still a struggle. I feel like mewing alone will not increase my airway fast enough to cure the sleep apnea so I’m looking into surgical options. MMA or double jaw surgery from what I’ve read seems like the most sure way to cure the sleep apnea as well help with my profile from the side view from a weak chin. I know It won’t fix narrowness but I can look in the mirror and see my problem is more with forward projection than width. I figure I can get enough forward projection from the surgery that I need and then just keep mewing and take whatever width might come with it in time.

Would love to hear any of your thoughts on all this. If you think there is a better route I’m all ears. I’ve read of people having “relapse” from MMA which I assume is because there tongue posture isn’t correct and over time the jaws recess back to where they were. Any truth to that? Also do you think MMA will open the airway enough to feel a difference in day to day nasal breathing?  Thanks for any help.

MMA is a tough surgery, there might be better options to try first, and these options wouldn’t hinder a future MMA should it be necessary or wanted for cosmetic issues.

If I were you I would dig into the possibility of using the MSE device for doing a maxillary expansion + orthodontics.

Posted : 06/03/2020 9:06 am
shanky27 and shanky27 reacted
rgm
 rgm
(@rgm)
Topic starter

@sergio-oms

As I understand mse only increases width, not the forward projection, of the upper jaw and does nothing for the lower jaw which could mess up my bite. When I look in the mirror it definitely looks like forward projection is what I need more than width. The main goal of mine is to fix the sleep apnea and it seems to me that moving the jaws forward to create a larger airway would be more beneficial than increasing width with something like mse.

Posted : 06/03/2020 11:19 am
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

@sergio-oms

As I understand mse only increases width, not the forward projection, of the upper jaw and does nothing for the lower jaw which could mess up my bite. When I look in the mirror it definitely looks like forward projection is what I need more than width. The main goal of mine is to fix the sleep apnea and it seems to me that moving the jaws forward to create a larger airway would be more beneficial than increasing width with something like mse.

MSE will also improve your breathing…. and you could have MMA afterwards… as I already wrote. More beneficial than MMA from the beginning.

Posted : 06/03/2020 12:08 pm
rgm
 rgm
(@rgm)
Topic starter

@sergio-oms

Why do say it’s more beneficial?

Posted : 06/03/2020 1:08 pm
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

@sergio-oms

Because you would sum the effects of both.  but these combined treatment has to be done in this order.

Posted : 06/03/2020 2:33 pm
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

@sergio-oms

Because it is better, you would be adding two beneficial treatments, and in the correct order. First MSE + orthodontics, then MMA. And if you have crooked teeth you probably need expansion.

Posted : 21/07/2020 2:39 pm
shanky27
(@shanky27)

Posted by: @sergio-oms

@sergio-oms

Because it is better, you would be adding two beneficial treatments, and in the correct order. First MSE + orthodontics, then MMA. And if you have crooked teeth you probably need expansion.

Is crooked teeth a sign of a very narrow maxilla?

Posted : 24/07/2020 1:51 pm
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

@shanky27

quite often

Posted : 24/07/2020 2:10 pm
shanky27
(@shanky27)

@sergio-oms

I am in the exact same situation as @rgm. I have sleep apnea, and I have a narrow maxilla and mandible. My dental arch is V-shaped and not U-shaped. I also have mandibular rethrognathia(My lower jaw is pretty back and into the airway). The maxillofacial surgeons that I have consulted, all of them advised me for double jaw surgery. But, I’m not entirely convinced by that as, I need lateral expansion and not just forward expansion of both the jaws. I’m also considering MSE but, I have the following doubts.

1) MSE+FM will definitely give me the lateral expansion of the maxilla(Maybe not as much forward movement as MMA). But how will the mandible be expanded with MSE?? Once the maxilla has been expanded, there should be a plan for the mandible as well so that it meets the maxilla accordingly else I will have alignment and bite issues.

2) I have crooked teeth and gaps in my teeth due to discontinued braces as a kid, and teeth extractions. How will that be addressed by the MSE.

I like the idea of the MSE appliance as it not only improves the oral volume, but also the nasal volume. Nose breathing will bring so much improvement to sleep apnea as I mostly breathe through my mouth during sleep. But if I could just understand how the mandbile will be accomodated with MSE, then that would be great!!!!!

Posted : 25/07/2020 2:20 am
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

Posted by: @shanky27

@sergio-oms

I am in the exact same situation as @rgm. I have sleep apnea, and I have a narrow maxilla and mandible. My dental arch is V-shaped and not U-shaped. I also have mandibular rethrognathia(My lower jaw is pretty back and into the airway). The maxillofacial surgeons that I have consulted, all of them advised me for double jaw surgery. But, I’m not entirely convinced by that as, I need lateral expansion and not just forward expansion of both the jaws. I’m also considering MSE but, I have the following doubts.

1) MSE+FM will definitely give me the lateral expansion of the maxilla(Maybe not as much forward movement as MMA). But how will the mandible be expanded with MSE?? Once the maxilla has been expanded, there should be a plan for the mandible as well so that it meets the maxilla accordingly else I will have alignment and bite issues.

2) I have crooked teeth and gaps in my teeth due to discontinued braces as a kid, and teeth extractions. How will that be addressed by the MSE.

I like the idea of the MSE appliance as it not only improves the oral volume, but also the nasal volume. Nose breathing will bring so much improvement to sleep apnea as I mostly breathe through my mouth during sleep. But if I could just understand how the mandbile will be accomodated with MSE, then that would be great!!!!!

It sounds like you need to consult all these matters with your doctor, they are too specific for your case.

but, in short, I think you could use that combined approach, maybe also adding IMDO for the mandible

Posted : 25/07/2020 8:11 pm
shanky27
(@shanky27)

@sergio-oms

Is IMDO same as MSDO?

Posted : 26/07/2020 2:51 am
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

Posted by: @shanky27

@sergio-oms

Is IMDO same as MSDO?

no. you know Google exists, right?  😉 

Posted : 26/07/2020 3:38 am
shanky27
(@shanky27)

@sergio-oms

I found you more knowledgable, and reliable than Google, hence I asked you 😉 😉 .

Posted : 26/07/2020 4:09 am

THE GREAT WORK