Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I'm not sure if mewing works anymore  

RSS
gubbbb

So I've been documenting my progress for about a year and a half for science and it felt like I was making progress with my before and afters but now I've taken my most accurate pictures to date and the results are negligible at best. 

Here's a before and after of 1.5 years

I've fixed my posture

I chew chioux gum every day

I eat a healthy diet

my posterior 3rd has been up against the roof of my mouth

I hard mew regularly

etc etc

I'm still gonna keep mewing because it's nice not snoring/drooling when I sleep and my back  jaw has gotten slightly bigger I think. But so far for mewing for a better face is inconclusive for me.

Just wanted to share to temper expectations for anyone over 20 Ill probably make another post in a year or two

Feel free to share your thoughts

Posted : 20/06/2019 7:31 am
bergamot and Fred liked
Topic Tags
Progress
Member Moderator

Appreciate the honesty. What about your asymmetry? It looked like you were making some progress in that regard.

Is the head posture in your pic your default posture, or were you just trying to keep it same for the sake of the comparison?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 8:48 am
gubbbb
Posted by: Progress

Appreciate the honesty. What about your asymmetry? It looked like you were making some progress in that regard.

Is the head posture in your pic your default posture, or were you just trying to keep it same for the sake of the comparison?

I had a dent in right jaw that was because I never chewed on that side that's now gone. I'm sure my jaw is ever so slightly wider as well from using the muscles more.

Yes I stuck my head out to match my control image

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 9:16 am
Freddie
Eminent Member

Your first post didn’t showed that much « result » neither, it seem that you already had kind of a good forward growth though

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 10:00 am
Arkey

I think your after picture actually does show progress, and I think it's those small things that are really worth taking note of.

I see: an improvement in your eyes (definitely deeper set into your head, the seemed to bulge out before), Your jaw seems to have moved down (hard to tell for certain near your mouth because of the beard, but the ramus seems lower), and the back of your neck is clearly less hooked than it was before, suggesting that, at the very least, your posture is better.

I can understand it may be underwhelming to put such an amount of effort is, and to receive negligible results in your eyes... But what I take from this is that it's certainly possible to make progress in your twenties. What we are finding out now, from an array of sources is how long that process takes.

Can I ask what your IMW was when you started mewing, and what it is now?

- Mewing for 6+ months
- IMW: 35mm (no expansion)
- Sleep on the floor without a pillow
- Tape mouth at night
- Continue to emphasise chin-tuck/occipital drive for extended periods
- Chew Mastic Tears for 1 hour every other day

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 12:25 pm
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

just go for a bioblock or a schwartz and see if they work lmao you wont lose an arm if they dont

but if they do work youll get alot more progress and faster thn if you hard mew. hard mewing strains ur strap muscles and drives your anxiety up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 1:50 pm
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: Roflcopters

hard mewing strains ur strap muscles and drives your anxiety up.

What is the connection?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 1:54 pm
gubbbb
Posted by: Arkey

I think your after picture actually does show progress, and I think it's those small things that are really worth taking note of.

I see: an improvement in your eyes (definitely deeper set into your head, the seemed to bulge out before), Your jaw seems to have moved down (hard to tell for certain near your mouth because of the beard, but the ramus seems lower), and the back of your neck is clearly less hooked than it was before, suggesting that, at the very least, your posture is better.

I can understand it may be underwhelming to put such an amount of effort is, and to receive negligible results in your eyes... But what I take from this is that it's certainly possible to make progress in your twenties. What we are finding out now, from an array of sources is how long that process takes.

Can I ask what your IMW was when you started mewing, and what it is now?

Thanks Arkey for the bit of hope. I thought the eye thing was just a camera distortion but I didn't even notice the ramus going down! For a no surgery increase in jaw that's pretty good. Maybe by the time I'm 30 the changes will be really obvious!

As far as inter molar width I was never able to get a good measurement since it's just me forcing  a ruler in my mouth trying to figure out the correct measurements without being able to hold it steady. My wisdom teeth have been coming in recently so maybe somethings happening there.

@roflecopters I might look into it in the future

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 5:09 pm
bundfalke
Trusted Member

You are right. Literally nothing changed. Not even a tiny bit.

The problem with your case is that you already had good developed face. I dont want to say perfect, but seeing how horizontal your mandible is, i dont see whats left to improve there. And i dont think mewing changes your face past your genetic potential.

How old are you?

@Arkey Stop being delusional

@Roflcopters Whats the point of that? Those are expanders

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 6:21 pm
Freddie
Eminent Member
Posted by: bundfalke

The problem with your case is that you already had good developed face. I dont want to say perfect, but seeing how horizontal your mandible is, i dont see whats left to improve there. And i dont think mewing changes your face past your genetic potential.

How old are you?

Well with time face inevitably change especially when you get old (its going down for most) but if he keep mewing he will get those changes upward and forward. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 6:51 pm
RamonT liked
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

How old are you?

Thought your goal would be expanding the upper arch just like pretty much everyone here. My bad.

The point still stands tho, whatever your goal is just try an appliance. Will save you time and effort you can put on other things in life.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 6:57 pm
bundfalke
Trusted Member

@Roflcopters "Thought your goal would be expanding the upper arch just like pretty much everyone here"

Im very sure everyone wants his maxilla moved forward and upwards. Thats also why people, including OP, post their side profiles, and care little about measuring their IMW.

In my opinion the best idea would be to use a removeable acrylic expander/retainer that covers a large area of your gum/palate (like those found on braceshop) and then use a facemask to pull on it from a high angle. The keypoint here is that a facemask can pull with several pounds. And the tongue pushes with 50g i think.

There must be something wrong with my idea though, else everyone would be doing it because its cheap and easy to do

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 7:06 pm
ToothMan246
 use a removeable acrylic expander/retainer that covers a large area of your gum/palate (like those found on braceshop) and then use a facemask to pull on it from a high angle.

Where are these facemasks available? How do you hook it onto the expander?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 8:58 pm
bundfalke
Trusted Member
Posted by: ToothMan246
 use a removeable acrylic expander/retainer that covers a large area of your gum/palate (like those found on braceshop) and then use a facemask to pull on it from a high angle.

Where are these facemasks available? How do you hook it onto the expander?

https://www.bracesshop.net/retainer/41/retainer-mit-pfeilklammern

On the websites these things have all kinds of different hooks you can attach rubber bands to. One would have to check out everything and choose one that fits a facemask best.

If you search for "orthodontic facemask" you'll find alot of websites on google who sell one.

https://www.banggood.com/Orthodontic-Facebow-For-Underbite-Correction-Adjustable-Teeth-Dental-Tools-With-Cushion-Pad-p-1282844.html?gmcCountry=DE¤cy=EUR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=pla-de-hb-pc-0329&ad_id=340796287153&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64OsL8EW3phrTvVcu79Ot_dHH_pUF1clJ7Jx1KM8qUnjoT5zeQr1ggtRoCo40QAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

This is all just speculation though. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 10:01 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

The facemask linked just above is a bad idea... your chin appears  to be a bit recessed.  I believe you have firm bones.  That is good.  Mine are soft and I got near immediate response from Mewing.  Not how I wanted, though...  If you want to advance your chin, your teeth must support the new position.  How are your teeth?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2019 6:19 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Let's not forget that orthotropics is for prevention as well. And maybe make your before photo transparent by 50% and make it overlap the after photo to make sure if there has been any change whatsoever.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2019 8:05 am
gubbbb
Posted by: darkindigo

The facemask linked just above is a bad idea... your chin appears  to be a bit recessed.  I believe you have firm bones.  That is good.  Mine are soft and I got near immediate response from Mewing.  Not how I wanted, though...  If you want to advance your chin, your teeth must support the new position.  How are your teeth?

My teeth are pretty good I guess from braces

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2019 12:03 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member
Posted by: gubbbb
Posted by: darkindigo

My teeth are pretty good I guess from braces

Your teeth are looking a little short...do you gring your teeth or have in the past?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 7:21 am
gubbbb

@fred nah my gums are just bigger than average. When I see my teeth in X-rays my roots are huge

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 8:31 am
brianfnpillman

I don't think mewing can work for people who mouth breathed during 12-18. The face has already been damaged, and the downward growth caused by this damage requires surgery.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 12:59 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

Has your palate expanded? Have you noticed any functional benefits like improved nasal airflow, better sleep quality etc?

Id say most likely your technique is incorrect. I went 10 months thinking I was mewing correctly, just to realise I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. It really isn't easy using muscles you never used before which are extremely weak.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 1:27 pm
Stan, justdoit and RamonT liked
gubbbb
Posted by: Pame

Has your palate expanded? Have you noticed any functional benefits like improved nasal airflow, improved sleep quality etc?

Id say most likely your technique is incorrect. I went 10 months thinking I was mewing correctly, just to realise I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. It really isn't easy using muscles you never used before which are extremely weak.

I have my back 3rd up and the tip placed on that dip right behind my front teeth. I'm not really sure what I'm missing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 1:53 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@gubbbb Does your hyoid raise when you mew? Is the entire surface of your tongue making contact with the palate? Are you able to open your mouth when you have your tongue in the mewing position?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 1:59 pm
justdoit liked
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Hi @gubbbb,

i appreciate a lot the effort your are making to provide reliable before-after.

Could you make a gif like this, so as we can evaluate how much you can engage the back of the tongue?

That's me after 6 months of proper posture and swallow and I can definetely breath

For me, this Is enough to look a lot better. But I am struggling to see substantial result too, even if I expect them to show in 5-6 years...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 2:13 pm
bundfalke
Trusted Member

@brianfnpillman

@Pame

@RamonT

He doesnt have CFD to begin with. And to claim that everyone who doesnt get results with mewing has automatically mewed incorrectly is just ridiclious. I hear that every single time

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 2:18 pm
Mangas77
Eminent Member

@gubbbb, results can take a lot of time to appear. I remember the transformation of Astrosky, who started mewing at 16 years old. It is not before his second year of mewing that noticeable facial changes started to appear. Progress is not necessarily linear, and it often takes not months but years to show substantial changes.

Your eye area has improved, and your ramus seems to have lengthened. You are very committed.  I'm certain you're on the right track.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 5:49 pm
brianfnpillman

@brianfnpillman

@Pame

@RamonT

He doesnt have CFD to begin with. And to claim that everyone who doesnt get results with mewing has automatically mewed incorrectly is just ridiclious. I hear that every single time

I've never claimed that he has CFD. I just don't think mewing can give you noticeable changes unless you are below 18.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2019 9:55 am
dapi
 dapi

@gubbbb Do you apply a reasonable amount of force when hard mewing, to the point where you can feel the pressure in your cheekbone area?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2019 10:19 am
justdoit liked
GoTTi
Trusted Member
Posted by: gubbbb

So I've been documenting my progress for about a year and a half for science and it felt like I was making progress with my before and afters but now I've taken my most accurate pictures to date and the results are negligible at best. 

Here's a before and after of 1.5 years

I've fixed my posture

I chew chioux gum every day

I eat a healthy diet

my posterior 3rd has been up against the roof of my mouth

I hard mew regularly

etc etc

I'm still gonna keep mewing because it's nice not snoring/drooling when I sleep and my back  jaw has gotten slightly bigger I think. But so far for mewing for a better face is inconclusive for me.

Just wanted to share to temper expectations for anyone over 20 Ill probably make another post in a year or two

Feel free to share your thoughts

Damn you're pretty handsome. Or maybe it's just because we kind of look alike haha. Hey twin!

I honestly don't see much to comment on. I would suggest shaving the beard and taking another shot next time though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 1:25 am
Offthewall

You most certainly did NOT fix your posture. And as you said a while ago in another post, you hard mew before bed as oppose to 24/7. Not to mention the absence of chin tucks in tandem w mewing. No way will anyone over 20 make remarkable progress in the absence of chin tucking and hard mewing. Theres the helmuts of the world that murder themselves for progress and then dudes that “mew with the force of a thousand suns for 2 mins before bed”. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 7:58 am
bergamot

It's hard to tell from this style of photo since it's tilted, but it looks like you have bad posture actually? Your head is sticking up and out, as opposed to back and slightly tucked.

Personally I have seen a lot of progress already in only a few months (about 4 months), but I chin tuck most of the day long.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 2:07 pm
justdoit

@brianfnpillman

@Pame

@RamonT

If someone doesn't get results through Hard Mewing in 1.5 years, there are three possibilities:

Possibility #1. Results are impossible/ridiculously slow to achieve through mewing in adults

As time goes on, we are getting proof of impressive mewing transformations well into adulthood, as late as their 30s. Progress and Sailor have shown increase in IMW and significant facial change in months and helmut has shown unprecedented change in facial structure within 2 years. Thus, this seems to be less likely by the day.

Possibility #2. They have already maxed out on their genetic potential or are very close

I'm really not sure if this is true of OP. As you said, there's isn't much CFD in OPs case but the only way I know to truly judge this is through IMW which OP hasn't posted yet. I'm just gonna say that this is most likely not true because it's not true of most people and OP looks like an average modern person and not like a model.

Possibility #3. There is something wrong with their technique

This is very easy to do. Several people (including me) have found themselves mewing wrong for a significant period of time only to realize one day that something is wrong with their technique. In my case, it was just that my posterior third wasn't going up far enough to partially block my airway, and embarrass my airway (link) to cause a 'snoring' like sound. The day I realized that, I got my full tongue up on the roof, got it to support the craniofacial complex and the whole feeling of mewing changed for me. It was a wonderful feeling and it was a massive turning point in my Mewing journey.

Given the likelihood of the three scenarios, the most likely scenario seems to be that OP is mewing incorrectly. I don't know what is wrong with their technique, as that's something OP will have to figure out through intense mindfulness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 8:22 pm
RamonT liked
GoTTi
Trusted Member

Possibility #1. Results are impossible/ridiculously slow to achieve through mewing in adults

Maybe. Maybe not.

Possibility #2. They have already maxed out on their genetic potential or are very close

Same as #1 imo

Possibility #3. There is something wrong with their technique

Impossible imo and based on dogmatic thinking that is currently being debunked.  I have already seen a 70 year old grow his mandible/chin  forward & wider  with a homeblock device.   Enough said.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 8:32 pm
GoTTi
Trusted Member

@Roflcopters "Thought your goal would be expanding the upper arch just like pretty much everyone here"

Im very sure everyone wants his maxilla moved forward and upwards. Thats also why people, including OP, post their side profiles, and care little about measuring their IMW.

In my opinion the best idea would be to use a removeable acrylic expander/retainer that covers a large area of your gum/palate (like those found on braceshop) and then use a facemask to pull on it from a high angle. The keypoint here is that a facemask can pull with several pounds. And the tongue pushes with 50g i think.

There must be something wrong with my idea though, else everyone would be doing it because its cheap and easy to do

Ask Mike Mew, he got banned because of doing similar things. The type of things that he was doing and planning to do would have put dents in big wig pockets. Some of the stuff he wanted to do also could have technically come off as malpractice, which is like a slap In the face for many orthos and people in power who have created these type of theorie and therapies who may also happen to own stock in them. It's actually simple once you give it some thought

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 8:40 pm
gubbbb
Posted by: bergamot

It's hard to tell from this style of photo since it's tilted, but it looks like you have bad posture actually? Your head is sticking up and out, as opposed to back and slightly tucked.

Personally I have seen a lot of progress already in only a few months (about 4 months), but I chin tuck most of the day long.

Posted by: Offthewall

You most certainly did NOT fix your posture. And as you said a while ago in another post, you hard mew before bed as oppose to 24/7. Not to mention the absence of chin tucks in tandem w mewing. No way will anyone over 20 make remarkable progress in the absence of chin tucking and hard mewing. Theres the helmuts of the world that murder themselves for progress and then dudes that “mew with the force of a thousand suns for 2 mins before bed”. 

If you'd bother to scroll down to the 3rd post  you'll see me say

"Yes I stuck my head out to match my control image"

@Offthewall I'm also not sure why you're speaking as if hard mewing 24/7 is something that I should've obviously known about and done considering hard mewing is an extreme of what mike mew (an orthodontist more qualified then some random advice from strangers on an internet forum) recommends doing.

regardless I'm now hard mewing/chin tucking  every time I'm conscious of my tongue. so I'll see everyone in a year with hopefully some better results

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/07/2019 3:10 am
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

Progress pics where the person is not clean shaven should be removed, if you ask me.

#beardfrauding

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/07/2019 5:11 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@brianfnpillman

@Pame

@RamonT

@bundfalke Everyone has CFD. More or less everyone is miles away from their genetic potential. John Mew has said peoples maxillas are 20mm(!) too far back on average. Just because OP doesen't have some obvious recession doesen't mean he is anywhere close to ideally developed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/07/2019 2:15 pm
PolHolmes

For the amount of people mewing now, I've seen very little evidence that good results are achievable in adults. Even on this fourm were people are seemingly die-hard about mewing, there's been little to no pictures that people upload. People can they've achieved this, and achieved that, yet don't upload good comparatively objective photos like OP has. To be honest, I've been pretty much hard mewing for 8 months now with little little to show for it when I take objective photos. It's very easy for people to fool themselves with different lighting and angles (which is rampant on the Orthotrophics subreddit), I even fooled myself by taking photos from slightly different angles. Sure my underchin looks better when mewing, but my cheekbones haven't 'erupted', nor has my mandible come forward anymore. 

Again, surely by this stage, there should be hundreds of examples of people getting great results, not just a FEW elusive people that posted here months/years ago then disappeared. 

I've seen much much greater results from chewing and losing a few lbs of bodyfat than mewing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2019 9:58 am
skinnyboiii
Posted by: @polholmes

For the amount of people mewing now, I've seen very little evidence that good results are achievable in adults. Even on this fourm were people are seemingly die-hard about mewing, there's been little to no pictures that people upload. People can they've achieved this, and achieved that, yet don't upload good comparatively objective photos like OP has. To be honest, I've been pretty much hard mewing for 8 months now with little little to show for it when I take objective photos. It's very easy for people to fool themselves with different lighting and angles (which is rampant on the Orthotrophics subreddit), I even fooled myself by taking photos from slightly different angles. Sure my underchin looks better when mewing, but my cheekbones haven't 'erupted', nor has my mandible come forward anymore. 

Again, surely by this stage, there should be hundreds of examples of people getting great results, not just a FEW elusive people that posted here months/years ago then disappeared. 

I've seen much much greater results from chewing and losing a few lbs of bodyfat than mewing. 

@polholmes, from your last sentence I gather you're more interested in aesthetic changes than you are in functional changes. There are two good cases showing evidence of dramatic aesthetic changes in adults -- one I posted from reddit, which you can find here: https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/another-interesting-case-from-reddit-2-years/ and of course, @helmutstrebl's case. Both of these cases have been ongoing for a couple years. If I remember correctly, even @helmutstrebl said he didn't notice much at the 8month mark.

Like many of us here, I'm concerned with functional changes, namely a wider palate, resolution of TMJ issues, etc. And it's difficult to track those things objectively without access to special equipment. In the case of a clicking jaw, this is impossible for someone to document at home. Others, like tracking palatal width, are just hard. Yet @Progress's case (among others) has shown that photography can indeed capture the change, if it's large enough.

Of course, as function follows form and vice versa, one will generally be better looking as a result of these salutary functional changes, but only to a point.

The jaw is a good example of function following form. As far as the jaw coming forward, well, that depends on the case, and it appears to take quite a bit of time to see change if the potential is there. @helmutstrebl's is the best case we have documented here. While his jaw did eventually project forward a lot, it wasn't until the ~2 year mark that the change was especially pronounced. Also, it is well known how much effort he put in to the project.

Why don't we see more good pictures here? Of all the people mewing diligently right now (N), there is only some fraction (x) which is mewing correctly, another fraction (y) of those who are mewing hard, a fraction of those whose sutures permit expansion (z), another fraction (p) which have been doing it for a year or more, another fraction (q) who are also working on the rest of their posture, and finally, a fraction (r) of those people who are going to take good pictures for the sake of others and post them on reddit or here.

N*x*y*z*p*q*r might turn out to be a pretty small number.

What we have with OPs case is a well-documented datapoint showing slight aesthetic changes from chewing, (mostly) soft-mewing, and postural correction after 1.5 years. He was already good-looking with straight teeth and, no matter what people say, he does not show any signs of an unnatural-looking face. This may be a strike against soft-mewing in adults for some people, but it's not evidence that mewing doesn't work period, which we know not to be true based on other well-documented cases. What the evidence seems to be pointing to is that chewing, postural correction, and hard-mewing play a particularly important role in the process.

@polholmes, you should feel free to post about your experience with hardmewing (with pictures) if you have no done so already. I'd be interested in your case, even if you personally feel there is nothing worth sharing. A null result is still a result.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2019 10:32 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@gubbbb Do you apply forward pressure when you mew? I think focusing on the posterior 3rd of the tongue might be good for IMW expansion, but personally I didn't achieve any forward growth until I hard mewed with forward pressure all day every day and since, I've had forward growth at about the rate of 1mm per month (measuring from the interstitial gap that opened up at the back of my teeth). The posterior 3rd of my tongue rests on the palate but I mainly use the front of my tongue to push forward and slightly up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2019 11:13 am
brianfnpillman

It depends on what kind of recession you have I think. 

The most important factor for facial development growing up is whether or not you can breathe through your nose during PUBERTY. 

If you can't, you end up with "adenoid facies" like this kid:

It's the classic meltface. I couldn't breathe through my nose though not due to my adenoids and my face got completely destroyed with abnormal jaw growth in puberty. After that, bones fuse and they don't move.

I wasn't good looking before, but I had a nice broad palate, symmetric face, and good proportion/balance.

Unfortunately nothing you can do about it in retrospect so I don't fixate on it. I got 2 surgeries and still hoping one day I can fix everything the rest of the way, but likely I can't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2019 10:01 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member
Posted by: @brianfnpillman

The most important factor for facial development growing up is whether or not you can breathe through your nose during PUBERTY. 

It's the classic meltface. I couldn't breathe through my nose though not due to my adenoids and my face got completely destroyed with abnormal jaw growth in puberty. After that, bones fuse and they don't move.

Its not about breathing through the mouth or nose. One can be breathing nasally, but keep the lips far apart and thus end up with terrible recession. On the contrary, one could also breathe through the mouth with a minimal lip opening, and develop a well structured face. Of course if someone is unable to breathe through their nose during childhood this will greatly impact the appearance of the face, but its not because you inhale air through the mouth.

Refer to this video for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t36ApJIktco&t=1s

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 11:41 am
brianfnpillman
Posted by: @pame
Posted by: @brianfnpillman

Its not about breathing through the mouth or nose. One can be breathing nasally, but keep the lips far apart and thus end up with terrible recession. On the contrary, one could also breathe through the mouth with a minimal lip opening, and develop a well structured face. Of course if someone is unable to breathe through their nose during childhood this will greatly impact the appearance of the face, but its not because you inhale air through the mouth.

Refer to this video for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t36ApJIktco&t=1s

I don't know how it is possible to have a bad lip seal when you're a nose breather. Nose breathing is also linked with lip seal. Almost every nose breather I see has a normal lip seal. Nose breathers also normally have a tongue posture that supports their maxilla. What needs to be fixed at a young age is the difficulty of nose breathing in my opinion.

And I want to say mouth breathing is very rare. People like me who didn't get proper attention as a kid can't repair it after because it messes up everything. Every day I face with the fact that normal people are natural and symmetrical. Most people have excellent symmetry of 1-2 mm. Their jaws and teeth are naturally straight without braces and in perfect harmony without any surgery or changes. Their faces are wide and well developed. It's crazy to me when I see people with nice faces walking down the street, and these guys didn't have to have a single surgeries to get there. While I had to go through hundreds of surgeries to look like a normal person because I had uniquely deformed jaws and other feautres.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 6:26 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@brianfnpillman

Most people keep their lips together when they're with other people, but research showed people keep their lips apart 80% of the time on average. Its perfectly possible to let your jaws relax and hang your mouth open and still breathe through your nose, thats what most people do. Very few people have correct tongue (not possible with lips apart 80% of the time) and very few people have perfectly straight teeth naturally. 

I've always been able to nose breathe just fine, but still got into the habit of breathing through my mouth as a child.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 3:43 am
Daltira

That’s because nobody knows wat the [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] is actually going’s on. Forwards growth is achieved by teeth contact. NOT tongue. 

You need to stand in a chin tuck posture at all times as this pushes the bottom teeth against the top ones which moves the maxilla up. NOTHING else will move the maxilla. Its all about your posture while standing.

The tongue just expands the palate which is not connected to forwards growth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2019 4:03 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @daltira

That’s because nobody knows wat the [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] is actually going’s on. Forwards growth is achieved by teeth contact. NOT tongue. 

You need to stand in a chin tuck posture at all times as this pushes the bottom teeth against the top ones which moves the maxilla up. NOTHING else will move the maxilla. Its all about your posture while standing.

The tongue just expands the palate which is not connected to forwards growth. 

Teeth contact repeatedly can actually shorten the face... Just in a bad way and especially for a male. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2019 8:09 am
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register