Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

im about to give up  

RSS
tonguecel

its just not worth it. i dont even bother trying to 'mew' in my sleep it causes enough grief during th eday. when i mew i can onlyfeel the tip and the middle clicking on to my hard palate. there is no pressure on the back of the hard palate let alone the soft palate. also when i swallow i dont feel any pressure either. im not too recessed nor is my palate terribly narrow. i have made progress with proper swallowing. i used to get a lot of acid but i have been doing laryngeal exercises that have actually helped so it hasnt been entirely useless.

Posted : 14/10/2019 9:35 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

If you know that your technique is lacking, then it's not surprising that your results are lacking too.

Do you simply push the tongue up, or do you utilize suction to keep it against the palate? When up, does your tongue press against your teeth?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 10:09 am
tonguecel

@elwynn

im still trying to figure out the nuances of this whole thing. my tngue doesnt touch the teeth at all only slightly touches the alveolar ridge

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2019 10:15 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@tonguecel

I have recently posted before / after pictures on a timeframe of 6 months. Though they don't reveal much change in the facial bone structure, they do among a few other small things, reveal that the skin below my neck is more tout. This is undoubtedly a consequence of better tongue placement. Indeed, when I first started practicing better oral posture, I found it difficult to put even the front of my tongue against the palate. After several months, I was able to raise the mid-section of the tongue, and just recently (maybe two weeks ago), I figured out how to include a portion of the back of my tongue, as well. In fact, up until about two weeks ago, I did not practice any tongue suction hold or lip seal at all!

Technically, I've been mewing for about a year. But that's misleading, because for most of this time, my oral posture has been lacking. The change in skeletal structure thus far might have been tiny to nonexistent, but I try not to let that discourage me, because I know I've been making improvements in my oral posture and soft-tissue. I suspect that once I reach a point such that I am able to maintain good oral posture, skeletal improvements will begin appearing. Indeed, I am just now beginning to feel cracks and tensions in regions of the skull, where I haven't felt them before.

My experience therefore makes me somewhat skeptical of those who claim to have practiced mewing for a considerable amount of time and achieved no results: I do not think that many of them have been practicing good oral posture adequately. After all, a person who has been a mouth-breather and a sleep-drooler since childhood is unlikely to be able to adopt an entirely correct oral posture from day 1. It takes time just to learn how to do it well, and to build up the muscle for it. Besides that, it's easy to fool oneself into thinking that you're doing this correctly, when in fact, your technique could use work (I've been there).

If your tongue does not touch your teeth, either your palate is wide enough, or you are not spreading your tongue correctly. Try sticking your tongue against your palate, between your teeth, and "inflate" it so that it covers as much surface area as possible. When I do this, my tongue is tight against the teeth. As for the posterior third, try raising your hyoid, or inducing a sort of suction in your throat and see if it raises the back of your tongue. I can't get all of my back tongue up either (yet), but like I said, it may just be something that you'll have to learn how to do through time and effort.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2019 11:25 am
Agendum

Age? Everyone needs to state their age.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 2:34 am
tonguecel
Posted by: @elwynn

@tonguecel

I have recently posted before / after pictures on a timeframe of 6 months. Though they don't reveal much change in the facial bone structure, they do among a few other small things, reveal that the skin below my neck is more tout. This is undoubtedly a consequence of better tongue placement. Indeed, when I first started practicing better oral posture, I found it difficult to put even the front of my tongue against the palate. After several months, I was able to raise the mid-section of the tongue, and just recently (maybe two weeks ago), I figured out how to include a portion of the back of my tongue, as well. In fact, up until about two weeks ago, I did not practice any tongue suction hold or lip seal at all!

Technically, I've been mewing for about a year. But that's misleading, because for most of this time, my oral posture has been lacking. The change in skeletal structure thus far might have been tiny to nonexistent, but I try not to let that discourage me, because I know I've been making improvements in my oral posture and soft-tissue. I suspect that once I reach a point such that I am able to maintain good oral posture, skeletal improvements will begin appearing. Indeed, I am just now beginning to feel cracks and tensions in regions of the skull, where I haven't felt them before.

My experience therefore makes me somewhat skeptical of those who claim to have practiced mewing for a considerable amount of time and achieved no results: I do not think that many of them have been practicing good oral posture adequately. After all, a person who has been a mouth-breather and a sleep-drooler since childhood is unlikely to be able to adopt an entirely correct oral posture from day 1. It takes time just to learn how to do it well, and to build up the muscle for it. Besides that, it's easy to fool oneself into thinking that you're doing this correctly, when in fact, your technique could use work (I've been there).

If your tongue does not touch your teeth, either your palate is wide enough, or you are not spreading your tongue correctly. Try sticking your tongue against your palate, between your teeth, and "inflate" it so that it covers as much surface area as possible. When I do this, my tongue is tight against the teeth. As for the posterior third, try raising your hyoid, or inducing a sort of suction in your throat and see if it raises the back of your tongue. I can't get all of my back tongue up either (yet), but like I said, it may just be something that you'll have to learn how to do through time and effort.

no matter how wide i spread my tongue it only touches my gums yet i dont have  a wide palate. i think i just have a short tongue which is why i cant get the back up

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 8:22 am
tonguecel

@agendum

almost 22.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 8:22 am