Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

If I am not struggling to breathe, am I mewing wrong?  

RSS
violetgrey6

There’s all this talk about how if you’re mewing correctly you will have trouble breathing as your tongue will block your airway.

I do not have difficulty breathing, yet I believe I am mewing correctly. How can I tell?

Is an IMW of 36 indicative of adequate expansion where mewing could be done without struggling to breathe?

Posted : 27/05/2020 5:37 pm
Adam
 Adam
Eminent Member

Struggling to breath is only a thing in the beggining imo. If you are later in the game, or you have good developement already (and we cant just tell it using IMW, everybody is diferent) you cant just choke yourself if your tip is on incisive papilla (at least i dont know how to do that).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2020 6:18 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @adam

Struggling to breath is only a thing in the beggining imo. If you are later in the game, or you have good developement already (and we cant just tell it using IMW, everybody is diferent) you cant just choke yourself if your tip is on incisive papilla (at least i dont know how to do that).

Disagree, anatomically the muscles that raises the tongue can't force it backwards into the airway, if you can breath normally then you should be able to breath during mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2020 8:48 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

no, they absolutely can and do. many people can't breathe nasally when they swallow/raise the posterior third due it pushing against the soft palate and obstructing the nasopahrynx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2020 8:54 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

@krollic

The only way the tongue can obstruct the airway is if it's too far back, otherwise the only other ways you can obstruct the air way is with a chin tuck or with an incorrect tongue posture where you leave the hyoid too far up and forward from a swallow, when this happens the epiglottis tilts backwards and closes the airway. I've read that the soft palate closes the airway in a swallow so that's also a possible reason for why people obstruct their breathing from mewing. People can't breathe while mewing reason because when they are told how to mew they are taught the mew push swallow, when you swallow the airway is closed by the epiglottis and soft palate, people do this unintentionally when trying to mew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2020 10:05 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

i'm pretty sure people who are properly expanded are able to have the root of their tongue up against the soft tissue without it interfering with the nasal airway. Mike has also talked about how if you're recessed, raising the back of the tongue might "embarrass" the nasopahrynx.

helmutstrebl talked about how when he started, he could not raise the back of the tongue/hyoid without it interfering with his breathing and eventually with lots of effort and clearly apparent skull change he was able too. I have a friend who is one of the few people I know with very well formed cranio facial structuring and along with him having mewed all his life, he naturally has his hyoid raised high against the soft tissue but is able to breathe nasally.

the reason recessed people stick their heads forward and tilt their heads up is to expand their very restricted airways. it's pretty clear to me that people who have ample room for the posterior third don't suffer from not being able to breathe while having it raised

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2020 12:00 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @krollic

no, they absolutely can and do. many people can't breathe nasally when they swallow/raise the posterior third due it pushing against the soft palate and obstructing the nasopahrynx

Lol.

Come on dude, don't spread lies, did you even double-check your information? The palatine levator pulls the soft palate upwards during a swallow, making breathing impossible through nose. Apart from that many other muscles during a swallow completely block the airway to make sure no food or liquid falls in the wrong hole.

Did you even see Mike Mew's videos? He specifically states that there's a difference between swallowing where you can't breath and mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2020 7:28 am
Improoover

@auxiliarus you're right. But is there any solution to this problem? I'm new to mewing and I can hold the position correctly (hyoid bone moves all the way up giving me more jaw definition) but I can't breathe while doing so. Any help would be appreciated 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2020 8:38 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @improoover

@auxiliarus you're right. But is there any solution to this problem? I'm new to mewing and I can hold the position correctly (hyoid bone moves all the way up giving me more jaw definition) but I can't breathe while doing so. Any help would be appreciated 🙂 

Upswing in maxilla by good tongue posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2020 8:45 am
Adam
 Adam
Eminent Member

Video from best face forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkcpK8oZO0

And I think Mike Mew said something similiar.

You should make sure you have correct posture, its easy to breath in a head tilt. If you snore in a chintuck, you dont have enough space. I dont know exact mechanics of it (expansion? sinuses? throat?), but it will eventually open if you mew properly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2020 12:10 pm
Adam
 Adam
Eminent Member

I forgot to mention, and it is worth another post. Imo that is the reason why so many people dont see results. They struggle to breath in proper position, because of recession, and they subconsciously revert to old bad habits to breath ie. head tilit in every day life. Thats why people who were very conscious about themselves and/or had a lot of time succed (helmut was NEET).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2020 12:20 pm