Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I would like a simple recommendation for Mewing – Uneven Jaw

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
mewington
(@mewington)
Topic starter

Hello all.

After some time wandering here, this is my first post. 

As I posted on the Craniofacial Action Group on FB:

I wanted to ask a question here, however, I don’t know much of the terms being used in the group. so I will keep it simple.
Based on the photo, are braces a good option for me? I don’t want to get any teeth removed. my upper teeth are a little behind my lower teeth. as you can see, my jaw/face seem to be undeveloped on one side.

I got a reply from Prof John Mew himself recommending orthotropic and mewing. no specific advice of course. He mentions my teeth are alright, my jaw is the problem. Also, discouraged me from getting braces, removals, or surgeries. he mentioned I to do just exercises to see results after several years. 

I have tried already and learned about tongue posture and correct swallowing. I stopped because I didn’t knew if it was done correctly. 

Based on this and the photos I posted, what are your recommendations?just assume I don’t know anything when replying. I appreciate the time you may take to explain.thanks for your comments if any.

photo 2021 02 07 23 28 59
photo 2021 02 07 23 28 50
photo 2021 02 07 23 30 40

Greetings from Panama City, Central America!

Posted : 08/02/2021 1:17 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)

It’s interesting Dr. John Mew thinks you could still see improvements from correcting oral posture at your age. How old are you? I thought he was less optimistic than his son about the potential for positive changes in adults. Do you find it difficult to posture your tongue on the roof of your mouth and breath through your nose? What is your intermolar width measured between the lingual edges of your first molars? You are a case I think might benefit from a splint activator appliance like the myobrace to help correct your underbite and midline discrepancy and train tongue posture. However, I’ve found that it’s often challenging to source one wide enough for adults with anything but very narrow palates and yours looks relatively wide. Even the adult large myobrace was too small for me, but there are other brands. Some even have models specifically for underbite cases. I’m not sure if there are providers in Panama. They seem to be more common in Europe.

Posted : 08/02/2021 2:09 pm
mewington
(@mewington)
Topic starter

@apollo thanks for your reply. I will be 29 yrs old in july

My intermolar width is 6.5 cm

Posted : 08/02/2021 4:49 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)

Posted by: @mewington

My intermolar width is 6.5 cm

You’re probably measuring between the outer, buccal edges of the first molars rather than the inner, lingual edges. 65mm between those landmarks is relatively wide. So it might be difficult for you to find a splint activator wide enough to fit your arches without professional help.

Posted : 08/02/2021 8:42 pm
mewington
(@mewington)
Topic starter

@apolloYou are right. I measured the outer part of it. when you say professional help, you mean I have to go to a dr to have it put in place?

Posted : 08/02/2021 11:27 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)

Posted by: @mewington

@apolloYou are right. I measured the outer part of it. when you say professional help, you mean I have to go to a dr to have it put in place?

These “splint activators” are just plastic or silicone mouthpiece appliances that you wear during sleep and for a few hours during the day. Their ramp-shaped walls guide the teeth into alignment based on the bite force, and hold the mandible close to class I occlusion.You can purchase inexpensive ones online yourself, but they all seem to be too small. A dentist that works with these kinds of appliances might be able to order one from a lab made to fit the size of your arches and the specifics of your case. Even if you were able to get one a little wider than your current size, most people haven’t been satisfied with their results, so I generally don’t recommend them for expansion. However, I think it could be useful for your midline discrepancy and underbite.

Posted : 09/02/2021 12:26 am
mewington
(@mewington)
Topic starter

@apollo Thanks again for the response. Im in Panama City, So I dont know if this is something I can find that easy. I will do some research.

Posted : 09/02/2021 6:20 pm

THE GREAT WORK