Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I think bone changes most definitely take place well into your 20's  

RSS
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

I just saw an old photo of me from when I was 19 - many, many years ago. It shows a very clear shot of my jawline from an almost 3/4 angle. Immediately I was struck by how much more curved the gonial angle was. It didn't have a sharp corner like it does now.  I honestly think my ramus got a little longer after that and my gonial angle became sharper. It's not exactly 90 degrees of course, but it's noticeably more acute than it was when I was 19. I seem to remember people remarking on how different my jaw area looked when I was 25/26.  Maybe if I'd known about tongue posture back then I would have ended up with a better angle! 

Posted : 05/06/2019 6:20 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

I would love to see the pictures if possible. 

The lower jaw continues, but slowly, growing in men until 20 years old. It doesn't sound possible you had all that change in 1 year only. Maybe it had something to do with your wisdom teeth emerging. If the lower jaw starts remodeling to make room for them, it will remove bone from the front of the ramus and deposit it at the back. In chapter 4 of his book Dr. John Mew describes this process taking place while treating children.

When did your wisdom teeth erupt?

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/06/2019 1:26 am
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

Yeah that's likely what happened then - I'm pretty sure my wisdom teeth started coming in at the end of my teens. And by 25 I definitely had all 4. They were never removed because they all came in straight, with no crowding, and I still have a little space behind them (I believe this is a Neanderthal trait). So maybe that did square my jaw off. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2019 1:40 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: AlphaMinus

Yeah that's likely what happened then - I'm pretty sure my wisdom teeth started coming in at the end of my teens. And by 25 I definitely had all 4. They were never removed because they all came in straight, with no crowding, and I still have a little space behind them (I believe this is a Neanderthal trait). So maybe that did square my jaw off. 

You lucky Neanderthal!

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2019 3:45 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Past 20. Have seen way too many adults whose mandible seems to grow indefinitely. Also, I include brow bone in this. Brooke Shields is a prime example. Went from very neotenous features to very rugged ones over time. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2019 9:03 am