Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I registered here specifically to ask about FAGGA  

RSS
biteright

Found this place via a Google search...

My dentist told my I could benefit from an FAGGA because my top teeth and roof are all jacked up and I have a major underbite with my face being pretty concave, so he recommended me to an Orthodontist and I'm getting ready to go soon.

Does FAGGA actually work? I'm not finding a lot on it through searching and it seems pretty new? How much will this cost me assuming no insurance?

Posted : 11/04/2019 1:15 am
Jaddubois

I'm currently in more or less the same situation. As far as FAGGA goes, this is an interesting discussion: https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/fixed-anterior-growth-guidance-appliance-fagga-holy-grail-gonial-angle-change-maxilla-movement-forwards-and-palate-widening-without-surgery/

To be quite honest with you I still haven't made my mind up. A lot of knowledge people on this forum seem to be unsure if FAGGA actually creates growth. Also if it does, it doesn't seem to make the maxilla shift / grow upward, just forward. To me that is evident in the missing changes in nasal structure and appearance of the nose in every before/after I've seen so far. 

However, a couple of professionals , including my dentist who seems very trustworthy to me, don't have these doubts and have been practicing with the FAGGA for years. And they're claiming growth, sometimes even forwards AND upwards. 

But I'm still getting the hang of all this. Look through the link and you'll have a pretty good idea of why the FAGGA could work and why it may not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/04/2019 6:58 am
James
Eminent Member

FAGGA absolutely "works" for improving the lower third of the face. Does FAGGA create growth? The answer to that question depends on which part of the maxilla we are talking about. FAGGA can remodel the lower part of the maxilla forward (the dentoalveolar bone that houses the teeth). This is indisputable, and there are tons of cases showing this, and my own experience shows it. The question is whether FAGGA can move the higher skeletal parts of the maxilla. Its proponents claim that it can cause "3D" growth throughout the face, which may be true, but I haven't seen any cases of FAGGA promoting large, obvious changes to the cheek and nose areas.

@abdulrahman has a post which includes a visualization of remodeling at the dentoalveolar area and the condyle (last image). This is what he believes that FAGGA can accomplish. My current progress looks very similar to his image (I am about halfway through the amount of growth represented in that image with 6mm from FAGGA).

FAGGA definitely causes much more changes to the lower third than to the nose and cheeks. This can be a good thing for those of us with very concave profiles, like myself.

As for the OP's high palate, this could be addressed in the Controlled Arch Phase after FAGGA with a FRLA appliance. I actually don't know much about the effectiveness of the FRLA for transverse expansion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/04/2019 11:55 pm
biteright

Thanks for the replies, guys.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2019 2:36 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

You can try to join the TMJ/TMD/CMD/OSA Physiologic Discussion Group to learn more about the treatment directly from lvi practitioners and patients.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 12:11 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

You can try to join the TMJ/TMD/CMD/OSA Physiologic Discussion Group to learn more about the treatment directly from lvi practitioners and patients.

That group is only for LVI. I know there are other groups... but I am super surprised to hear about AGGA not working?!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2019 12:29 am
biteright

Bump.

Anymore opinions or anyone want to add anything?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2019 12:16 am
volturi

Loads of helpful info on this video about FAGGA and growth guidance appliances, specially if you have TMJ and migraine issues. Helps you understand a bit more about how these appliances work.

FAGGA ALF and BRACES

He's from Canada

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2019 10:27 pm