NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I need answers!  

RSS
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Good day, everyone. Just got braces installed...HELP!!! 

For one I can't keep my teeth and lips together. One my lips can touch, but not correctly they involve the use of the mentolabial muscle and very likely stretching my philtrum. My teeth will not be touching for at least 1 year and 6 months. I haven't f#$$%#g chewed anything hard for 1 week and it's becoming visible. I need them for 2 years. Another thing is that I can't make proper lip motions.

Is there anything I could do for at least one of these problems?

Posted : 20/05/2019 1:48 pm
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member

Why did you put braces on? You have been on this forum for such a long time. What is the problem with your current occlusion?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 2:33 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

It wasn't under my control. I'm 14. It was that or my mom telling everyone how insane I am for believing in mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 3:01 pm
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member

If she wants you to have an orthodontic treatment so much, why not going for something like the alf instead? or another appliance maybe. That sucks though, the tongue is really effective at directing growth, that's for sure, the real question that is debatable is DOES IT WORK ON ALREADY GROWN ADULTS? There are a tons of studies showing that it works on growing patients and a ton of proofs that extaction orthodontics is damaging to your face.

All that stuff at first sight seems like a scam, it seems crazy. In addition to that, due to your young age, ppls don't take you seriously and believe you are naïve and influancable (which could also be true, i don't personally know you). This reinforces the idea that Orthotropics is a scam in her mind , which is honestly understandable. Try to explain it to her,  always back up your claims with scientific studies and laws of physics. Make a presentation for her and be carrefull with your words, try to not attack her ego because once ppls are triggered, when they are on the defensive, discussion or teaching them something is practically impossible. Going for braces is what seems the most reasonnable for ppls so i assume that she is a reasonable person and if you show her that orthotropics is what is TRUELY reasonable, you might come to an agreement with her. Sometimes kids are wrong, but sometimes they are completly right, if you show your mother that you aren't naïve, impulsive and that you are reasonable too, it might be extremly helpful for you in the future. Trust me, it's much easier to have your parents on your sides than against you.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 4:19 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

You will be fine.. you are so young that even if you did stretch out your philtrum, it would be regenerated fine.  It's for old foggies that have more of a problem.  Braces will be fine.  Remember that overchewing can be a bad thing, so the fact you can't chew all this stuff may lengthen your face a bit.. but you'll appreciate it when you're older!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 6:06 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

My jaw is not as wide as the rest of my face, it's quite round and when I was chewing gum 30-60 minutes a day, it was astronomically better than what it is now. My face is like 7 1/2 inches and it's not long my chin isn't weak. I didn't get extractions at least. And Darkindigo what do you mean by appreciating facial lengthening when I get older? And this is for anyone, but can you accelerate the process of moving teeth with braces on?

RIP Fred

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 7:13 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

its up to you braces usually regress the face

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 8:04 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Today I have seen a photo of me at the age of 13 and at the age of 14, my maxilla has moved forward. And I've seen my x-ray of 13 today, but not 14 that was a week prior. My widom teeth are growing and it looks like they may be accomadated at least the top one's. Now this could be proof of mewing or dismissed as puberty. Idk, but cool anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 10:57 pm