fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

i am 14 years old and thinking about getting an MSE

mewisit
(@mewisit)
10+ Forum Posts

hello everyone i have a narrow palate. With a class 2 ,division 1 macclusion. i have been in the mewing community for about 8 months. I have recently stummbled upon palatal expanders and heard that they can speed up the mewing proccess durasticley speically in younger folks such as myself. I decided to do further research palatal expansion and found out that among these palatal expander the best one by far is the MSE appliance. Knowing this fact i did research to try to find MSE providers in my area i thankfully found one. Then i got hit with something.  If i expand the upper jaw how will i expand the lower jaw. I did some further research and found out that when expanding the upper jaw apperantly the lower jaw expands as well. I was and still am skeptical of this, but i still kinda believe it but i want to have a back up plan just incase this dosnt go according to plan. The first logical idea that comes to mind is expand the lower jaw with a lower jaw expander. But i am not entirely sure how it works or even if i can change the skeletal structure of my lower basal bone. SO IF YOU GUYSS COULD PLLLLEEEAASE TELL ME if i should use a lower jaw expander. also i am not interested in surgery or sfot these are to invasive.

Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2020 10:38 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
500+ Forum Posts

You'd have to get a CBCT for an orthodontist to tell you if your mandible is wide enough that the lower teeth could be tipped out toward the cheek to meet up with the expanded upper arch. If your lower molars currently appear to tilt in toward the tongue to meet the upper teeth, then there's a good chance that you could get a fair amount of expansion by uprighting those teeth.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2020 11:22 pm
mewisit
(@mewisit)
10+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @apollo

You'd have to get a CBCT for an orthodontist to tell you if your mandible is wide enough that the lower teeth could be tipped out toward the cheek to meet up with the expanded upper arch. If your lower molars currently appear to tilt in toward the tongue to meet the upper teeth, then there's a good chance that you could get a fair amount of expansion by uprighting those teeth.  

hey i understand where your coming at and think thats a fantastic idea if i want an extra 8 or so millimeter of expansion but i am looking at an INCH of expansion which you cant get from lingualy tilting the teeth. So, my two options are SFOT which is ok but pretty invasive for just a overjet correction. Or i could do it the john mew method of treating a overjet is expanding the upper jaw even futher which gives room for the lower jaw to expand to meet the upper jaw I am a bit skeptical in this because apparently the changes are tooth borne changes but the testimonials are legit and you can see the changes in their bite. John mew has been treating many people with just expanding the upper jaw and then through natural processes the lower jaaw has come up to meet the upper teeth. here is a link to john mew patient testimonials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATu1K9KzeoY&feature=emb_rel_end

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/06/2020 11:06 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @mewisit

hey i understand where your coming at and think thats a fantastic idea if i want an extra 8 or so millimeter of expansion but i am looking at an INCH of expansion which you cant get from lingualy tilting the teeth. So, my two options are SFOT which is ok but pretty invasive for just a overjet correction. Or i could do it the john mew method of treating a overjet is expanding the upper jaw even futher which gives room for the lower jaw to expand to meet the upper jaw I am a bit skeptical in this because apparently the changes are tooth borne changes but the testimonials are legit and you can see the changes in their bite. John mew has been treating many people with just expanding the upper jaw and then through natural processes the lower jaaw has come up to meet the upper teeth. here is a link to john mew patient testimonials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATu1K9KzeoY&feature=emb_rel_end

Are you asking about transverse or sagittal expansion of the mandible? An MSE would transversely expand your maxillary arch a maximum of 12mm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2020 12:18 am
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)
100+ Forum Posts

hello everyone i have a narrow palate. With a class 2 ,division 1 macclusion. i have been in the mewing community for about 8 months. I have recently stummbled upon palatal expanders and heard that they can speed up the mewing proccess durasticley speically in younger folks such as myself. I decided to do further research palatal expansion and found out that among these palatal expander the best one by far is the MSE appliance. Knowing this fact i did research to try to find MSE providers in my area i thankfully found one. Then i got hit with something.  If i expand the upper jaw how will i expand the lower jaw. I did some further research and found out that when expanding the upper jaw apperantly the lower jaw expands as well. I was and still am skeptical of this, but i still kinda believe it but i want to have a back up plan just incase this dosnt go according to plan. The first logical idea that comes to mind is expand the lower jaw with a lower jaw expander. But i am not entirely sure how it works or even if i can change the skeletal structure of my lower basal bone. SO IF YOU GUYSS COULD PLLLLEEEAASE TELL ME if i should use a lower jaw expander. also i am not interested in surgery or sfot these are to invasive.

You must consult all that with your orthodontist. If you don't want any type of surgery in the lower jaw you are already setting the to the maximum expansion you could get with MSE.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2020 4:20 pm
mewisit
(@mewisit)
10+ Forum Posts

Are you asking about transverse or sagittal expansion of the mandible? An MSE would transversely expand your maxillary arch a maximum of 12mm.

to answer your question i was reffering to both sagittal and transverse because i am planning to combine mse and fm. oh i thought you could get an mse appliance to go further than 12 mm of tranversly. How about forward expansion do you think i can get a centimeter of forward expansion. In my opinion i think its very possible looking at my case, my maxilla is pretty reccessed.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/07/2020 2:08 am
Apollo
(@apollo)
500+ Forum Posts

to answer your question i was reffering to both sagittal and transverse because i am planning to combine mse and fm. oh i thought you could get an mse appliance to go further than 12 mm of tranversly. How about forward expansion do you think i can get a centimeter of forward expansion. In my opinion i think its very possible looking at my case, my maxilla is pretty reccessed.

To my knowledge, condylar remodeling of the TMJ might be able to close an overjet created by sagittal expansion to some degree. Although Ronald Ead reported that his AGGA sagittal expansion (<1cm) outpaced his mandible's capacity to adapt. It seems that most orthodontists say the FM paired with MSE is unlikely to create significant forward changes in adults, but someone your age might have better success. I suspect this has a lot to do with patient compliance using the traction as much as possible. A whole centimeter is still probably overly optimistic. Transverse expansion cannot be compensated for by TMJ remodeling in the way you referenced John Mew's overjet treatment for the sagittal dimension. So transverse maxillary expansion would be limited by how far you can buccally torque the mandibular arch. Otherwise you have to start considering options like SFOT or MSDO for the mandible to expand farther.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2020 2:34 am
mewisit
(@mewisit)
10+ Forum Posts

will this also shorten my face, aswell as make my cheekbones more prominent

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/07/2020 12:11 am

THE GREAT WORK

Warning:
Your Cranial Sutures Need To Be open for CranioSacral / Jaw Development!