Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How to Successfully Lengthen/Heighten Chin?

Spade
Eminent Member

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was any methods/habits I can take up to successfully lengthen my chin (I'm 15 btw). I also have a bit of an overbite that's being fixed currently with orthodontic rubber bands. I've heard some things on this site about "Open Mouth Chewing/OMC" but I'm not sure if that's legit and I've heard that it makes some people's faces round and bloated but idk. I'm hoping to achieve something like this:  https://bit.ly/2KJ2Vdh

The image attached below is of my chin, excuse the gross mustache, haven't gotten around to shaving it.

Anyways if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated

Topic starter Posted : 30/11/2018 5:37 pm
zz37
 zz37

you can not make it's actual size bigger.

When your maxilla swings up from mewing, your mandible will also swing up.

The chin is ofc part of the mandible, so the chin will become more prominent with the upswing, but not actually change in size.

Also, when your lower lip is big and hanging, it makes the chin look smaller.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2018 7:13 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

omc is legit I used to not like my chin it was round and pointed and for some reason I like it now because something had to change. As for lengthening I don't think that will work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2018 9:40 pm
Spade
Eminent Member
Posted by: zz37

you can not make it's actual size bigger.

When your maxilla swings up from mewing, your mandible will also swing up.

The chin is ofc part of the mandible, so the chin will become more prominent with the upswing, but not actually change in size.

Also, when your lower lip is big and hanging, it makes the chin look smaller.

I appreciate the help but my lower lip isn't that big lmao, nor is it "hanging" anymore than a normal person's. In fact, the lighting of the picture makes it look bigger than it is. I believe what you're describing is that of an African-American right?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/11/2018 9:55 pm
Spade
Eminent Member
Posted by: Fred

omc is legit I used to not like my chin it was round and pointed and for some reason I like it now because something had to change. As for lengthening I don't think that will work.

Ah. Could you describe the exact changes omc brought to your chin?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/11/2018 9:56 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Imagine if you drew two vertical lines on the corners of my lips before I omc it looked like it had about the same breadth. After draw does two lines again and my chin is like 15-20% wider than my lip. It has also gotten a flatter rather a really pointed chin. That's about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2018 10:09 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

Imagine if you drew two vertical lines on the corners of my lips before I omc it looked like it had about the same breadth. After draw does two lines again and my chin is like 15-20% wider than my lip. It has also gotten a flatter rather a really pointed chin. That's about it.

So less like the pic I attached of Leo, and more like Henry Cavill?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/11/2018 10:21 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Henry Cavill

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2018 10:44 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

Henry Cavill

Ah, I see. My goal is angularity like Leo, do you know of any way I can achieve this?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/11/2018 11:01 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Men have flatter chins naturally. Women have the triangular mandible. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2018 12:00 am
Spade
Eminent Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

Men have flatter chins naturally. Women have the triangular mandible. 

It just looks less aesthetic to me. Many male models have this sort of angularity too, one example being Simon Nessman. It's more of a "pretty boy" thing instead of an overly masculine square jaw. I've always had softer, pretty boy features and I'm just worried with this mewing that a square jaw will be the outcome (as it was much less square before mewing) rather than an angular one that would suit my face much better.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/12/2018 1:26 am
zz37
 zz37

i am not talking about african lips.

I am talking about the type of lip that you see on people with bad facial development and mouth breathers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2018 4:15 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

I know a Caucasian-mouth breather, his lips are pretty large. I also know a Negroid-nasal breather, his lips are large and his chin is somehow pretty small or it looks small because of the large lips. Negroids' tend to commonly have this phenotype. And another person I know who is a mouth breather, has pretty small lips when his mouth is closed. The point is that lip size can vary for any individual.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2018 6:49 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Yes, but sometimes Africans can posses western features like small lips, small nose and a small D.

@eddiemoney your post further backs up my statement, different races have been passed down certain adaptations or phenotypes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2018 5:04 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Yes, but sometimes Africans can posses western features like small lips, small nose and a small D.

@eddiemoney your post further backs up my statement, different races have been passed down certain adaptations or phenotypes 

Yeah of course but these are just "average" skulls. But usually the West African mandible comes with a small chin.

Anyway OP if you want a different mandible shape then change your parents not maxilla

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2018 8:27 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

What does that mean?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2018 9:01 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Meaning if his chin isn't naturally pointy he might not get one

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2018 9:15 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

But what do you mean by naturally, open mouth chewing is natural and what if he chewed his whole life with a closed mouth, is that natural? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2018 9:18 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

But what do you mean by naturally, open mouth chewing is natural and what if he chewed his whole life with a closed mouth, is that natural? 

There is nothing to suggest that OMC is more natural than CMC nor that it affects the shape of your mandible/pogonion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2018 9:40 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

Meaning if his chin isn't naturally pointy he might not get one

No, I'm frustrated because at the beginning of the year, my face was beginning to sculpt out and my natural face was becoming more angular and pointy, but since I started mewing, my gonial angle lowered and my chin became flatter/squarer.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/12/2018 11:46 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Like a man.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 12:31 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

To answer your question Eddie, I back up my statement with this video, it may be disgusting, but pay attention to those tall, wide, square chins and it so happens o be that they're chewing with their mouths open. Check Mate

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tribes+eaten+food&&view=detail&mid=41D04C5620C2C19EB80741D04C5620C2C19EB807&&FORM=VRDGAR

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 12:40 am
Spade
Eminent Member

Like a man.

I get that it's more manly and masculine, but I've just never had that appeal lmao. Trust me. My features say it all. I'm just not digging this flatter chin and I suppose there's nothing I can do to reverse it. Also girls my age freak out more over angular jaws than square jaws, they think it's more unique and impressive I guess. I also think angularity has to do with some form of recession.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2018 2:29 am
Arkey

You can't make your face look more like Leo's, that not how this stuff works.

It's like working out, you will never look like Arnie, even if you work out as long as he did and took the same steroids, because he has different genetics, specific to him.

It's the same with mewing, you have an ideal version of you, with an upswung jaw, more hooded eyes, and more bone definition. You will look more attractive with these changes. However, no matter how much work you do, you can't give yourself a jaw that you weren't born with.

You can develop a better jaw. But you can't develop a specific jaw.

All you can do is spend more time mewing, and less time wondering what the specific results will be. There are a couple of things you can aim for, like symmetry and the things I mentioned above, but further than that, you can only observe and reflect on your progress.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time to ask how you can gain a specific feature. Mew, and become the handsome person nature intended you to be - do you think you know what handsome is better than nature?

- Mewing for 6+ months
- IMW: 35mm (no expansion)
- Sleep on the floor without a pillow
- Tape mouth at night
- Continue to emphasise chin-tuck/occipital drive for extended periods
- Chew Mastic Tears for 1 hour every other day

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 8:09 am
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: Spade

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was any methods/habits I can take up to successfully lengthen my chin (I'm 15 btw). I also have a bit of an overbite that's being fixed currently with orthodontic rubber bands. I've heard some things on this site about "Open Mouth Chewing/OMC" but I'm not sure if that's legit and I've heard that it makes some people's faces round and bloated but idk. I'm hoping to achieve something like this:  https://bit.ly/2KJ2Vdh

The image attached below is of my chin, excuse the gross mustache, haven't gotten around to shaving it.

Anyways if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated

Check out this thread, i posted something that could help the chin/ jaw in some way :

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/how-to-do-facepulling/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 12:19 pm
androvas liked
Spade
Eminent Member
Posted by: bugs

You can't make your face look more like Leo's, that not how this stuff works.

It's like working out, you will never look like Arnie, even if you work out as long as he did and took the same steroids, because he has different genetics, specific to him.

It's the same with mewing, you have an ideal version of you, with an upswung jaw, more hooded eyes, and more bone definition. You will look more attractive with these changes. However, no matter how much work you do, you can't give yourself a jaw that you weren't born with.

You can develop a better jaw. But you can't develop a specific jaw.

All you can do is spend more time mewing, and less time wondering what the specific results will be. There are a couple of things you can aim for, like symmetry and the things I mentioned above, but further than that, you can only observe and reflect on your progress.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time to ask how you can gain a specific feature. Mew, and become the handsome person nature intended you to be - do you think you know what handsome is better than nature?

Listen man, it seems you didn't read some of my other comments, I said my natural jaw WAS starting to become angular due to my face naturally maturing at my age and losing babyfat etc. Until I started mewing which lowered my gonial angle and started making my jaw look more square and my chin flatter, I'm trying to figure out how to reverse this lmao.

*EDIT* yeah.. damn, looking at old photos, my face was indeed angular, but my jaw was better as a whole, it looks super round now instead of square, I don't know where I went wrong in my mewing journey, I've mewed with braces for over 7 months and chewed falim gum daily for an hour until it started making my face look bloated than stopped (this was like 4 or 5 months ago). I'm soo annoyed my face is way rounder than it was.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2018 4:01 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

You are simply not born with the jaw you have now, newborns are hard to differentiate, because their faces have not been changed by their genes and habits(including breast feeding). Testosterone has been linked with mandible growth and sharpness. So if you look at estrogen, low testosterone men their jaws are quite round and childish. Before and after: a male has gone through puberty or is in puberty, their mandibles have increased in size.

This post will be destroyed with a "Testosterone levels are genetic" RREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 6:26 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

@spade " I also have a bit of an overbite that's being fixed currently with orthodontic rubber bands."

"braces for over 7 months "

This is likely the cause of your changed appearance. Bands especially are known for making faces worse. Note also that overbite makes the chin appear larger than it would be with natural occlusion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 6:43 pm
Spade
Eminent Member
Posted by: Progress

@spade " I also have a bit of an overbite that's being fixed currently with orthodontic rubber bands."

This is likely the cause of your changed appearance. Bands especially are known for making faces worse. Note also that overbite makes the chin appear larger than it would be with natural occlusion.

Do you think if I take my braces off my face will go back to the way it was?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2018 7:12 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

Hard to say. At least you would not be getting any worse. Ideally you will want to move the maxilla forward to match the mandible, rather than move the mandible back to match the recessed maxilla.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 8:01 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

Hard to say. At least you would not be getting any worse. Ideally you will want to move the maxilla forward to match the mandible, rather than move the mandible back to match the recessed maxilla.

I thought the only way that happens is if you get extractions, they're only using rubber bands to bring my jaw forward.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2018 10:23 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Extractions are not necessary and you end up with a narrow arch. Not aesthetic. Maybe that affects it more than mewing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2018 8:16 am
Progress
Member Moderator

I thought the only way that happens is if you get extractions, they're only using rubber bands to bring my jaw forward.

Oh my bad, I read you had underbite. Nonetheless, bands don't really bring your jaw forward. They bring your teeth forward, which in turn requires your jaw to be positioned further backward.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2018 8:38 am
Spade
Eminent Member

Oh my bad, I read you had underbite. Nonetheless, bands don't really bring your jaw forward. They bring your teeth forward, which in turn requires your jaw to be positioned further backward.

I've seen what you're talking about, but that's not the way my orthodontist is doing it. See I'm debating taking off my braces but there's no other way to fix a set-back jaw/overbite without surgery or orthodontic rubber bands so I don't know yet.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/12/2018 10:21 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I've seen what you're talking about, but that's not the way my orthodontist is doing it. See I'm debating taking off my braces but there's no other way to fix a set-back jaw/overbite without surgery or orthodontic rubber bands so I don't know yet.

Not true. Absolutely possible to undo an overbite through posture. Surgery is always a last resort

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2018 10:32 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

Also, I did a little digging around and found out that in the scenes Leo ate when he was young, he would chew with his mouth open.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/12/2018 10:38 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Doesn't Leo have the angular jaw or chin?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 3:17 am
Spade
Eminent Member

Doesn't Leo have the angular jaw or chin?

Yup.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/12/2018 3:49 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

So what you're saying is contradicting me?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 4:06 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Leo growing up had a triangular/ pointy chin. He was always known for his incredible neoteny and general facial feminine character. His "pretty" status made him very successful. The same happens with many male models who have very soft features and youthful faces.

The exact opposite of this would be robust MMA fighters with their ape like facial structure. Long philtrums, square/flat chins, huge mandibles, strong brows, and sloping foreheads. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 11:38 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Eddie, I asked you this on "How much have your looks improved?" and you never replied so I took the liberty to ask you this now. What causes a sloping forehead genetic, hormones, proper oral posture?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 6:12 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

Leo growing up had a triangular/ pointy chin. He was always known for his incredible neoteny and general facial feminine character. His "pretty" status made him very successful. The same happens with many male models who have very soft features and youthful faces.

The exact opposite of this would be robust MMA fighters with their ape like facial structure. Long philtrums, square/flat chins, huge mandibles, strong brows, and sloping foreheads. 

I would also like to mention that I noticed Leo didn't mew or have "perfect oral posture". When people mew and have their whole tongue plastered to the roof of their mouth, the skin hanging on the bottom of their jaw retracts. If you look at photos of Leo's side profile, the skin under his jaw is hanging, I get that same effect when I lightly put my tongue on my lower palate instead of my upper palate, maybe this explains the angularity and soft features to some degree.

As opposed to Ezra Miller, who has proper oral posture:

Image result for ezra miller side profile

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/12/2018 7:24 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Ezra Miller looks horribly recessed in that particular picture. Elsewhere he looks like he has good development. Here he looks like a classic mouth breather. And all because he has shortened his neck and positioned his head horribly. Funny how that can weaken your features.

@Fred sloping foreheads with proper posture are just bone growth due to testosterone. This is why you find them in men and not women as much (unless you count some Northern European women who can have this trait). 

I think it just testosterone development. I have also seen it in women with PCOS which can throw off hormones in women. 

The opposite is a flat forehead which is very neotenous. This comes with lower T levels. This is why you rarely see MMA fighters with flat bulbous foreheads. Children have flat bulbous foreheads but they aren't finished developing. 

Ethnicity affects it too. Black men are more likely to have flatter foreheads than White and Asian men and Black guys usually lack strong brows as well (in many cases it is absent and the forehead is infantile). Mediterranean men have the forehead flatter at greater frequency than Nordics. I know in my case my forehead has gotten more sloped with time and this is even with good posture. I like it honestly but can understand how some may find it unaesthetic.

Fun fact : one way to tell a Cromagnid skull from a Neanderthal is the Cromagnid had a weak brow with minimal slope and the Neanderthal had the opposite. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 11:43 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney I knew Neanderthals' had HEAVY brow ridges. I know some can find it unaesthetic, because honestly it makes men look just a little primitive and it has a primal vibe to it, but I like it, another sign of high testosterone development during puberty for the women. Last question about sloping forehead, when does this happen( I've seen early as 13, but that guy hit puberty when he was 7), is it genetic? I have high testosterone features like longer ring finger than index finger, wide face(I've been told), small eyes and I have a big mandible. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 9:40 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@eddiemoney I knew Neanderthals' had HEAVY brow ridges. I know some can find it unaesthetic, because honestly it makes men look just a little primitive and it has a primal vibe to it, but I like it, another sign of high testosterone development during puberty for the women. Last question about sloping forehead, when does this happen( I've seen early as 13, but that guy hit puberty when he was 7), is it genetic? I have high testosterone features like longer ring finger than index finger, wide face(I've been told), small eyes and I have a big mandible. 

I was looking at pics of me at 23 and my forehead was flat. Now it is sloping. So somewhere between then for me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 11:13 pm
Fred liked
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

But what could've altered your forehead shape?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 11:45 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

But what could've altered your forehead shape?

Bone growth. My brow is more prominent now 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 11:54 pm
noises
Eminent Member

Okay this is weird. I had this angular look you desperately desire and over the past few months it has clearly flattened out much in the same fashion that you’ve described in your posts. Personally I couldn’t care less, I’m all about functionality over aesthetics but I’m surprised that you were so correct about it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2018 6:34 pm
Kraw109

Did you get any orthodontic treatment done braces/Invisalign ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2019 5:04 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: noises

Okay this is weird. I had this angular look you desperately desire and over the past few months it has clearly flattened out much in the same fashion that you’ve described in your posts. Personally I couldn’t care less, I’m all about functionality over aesthetics but I’m surprised that you were so correct about it. 

The skull is a fusion of multiple bones so changing your posture can affect their position. I see this happening to lots of people. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2019 9:40 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

Yeah, that's a weak chin. Very similar to mine in shape and proportions.

Bone smashing and surgery are the ways.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2019 6:59 am