Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How to fix asymmetry  

RSS
Mewmew21

19M had braces before, very self conscious about my smile. If anyone has any advice on what I can do (preferably non surgical) to correct this. Will mewing somehow help with this overtime?

Seems my maxilla and mandible are both off center.

All help is appreciated 😁

Hope everyone’s doing well and staying safe during these times!

Posted : 10/09/2020 9:06 pm
Topic Tags
fanquo98
Posted by: @mewmew21

19M had braces before, very self conscious about my smile. If anyone has any advice on what I can do (preferably non surgical) to correct this. Will mewing somehow help with this overtime?

Seems my maxilla and mandible are both off center.

All help is appreciated 😁

Hope everyone’s doing well and staying safe during these times!

Curious about solutions for asymmetry too. I am by no means an expert in this area but I have read from a few online sources that asymmetries can be caused by uneven bone structure and nerve behavior. If the asymmetry is caused by a facial nerve issue, then Botox could help balance the asymetry. If it is a bone problem, then a maxillofacial surgeon could graft or reposition the bones. Injectable fillers or fat grafting can also be of use if there is a soft tissue deficiency on one side of the face. Best of luck! But I have to say that your smile looks great and your asymmetry appears to be very minor and almost unnoticable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2020 9:10 pm
Mewmew21

@fanquo98 Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm pretty sure the slant looking thing on my front teeth are just alignment issues and don't really affect my jaws (invisalign or something will fix it), making the asymmetry seem like more than it is. Also I'm positive that my asymmetry is from something as simple as muscle imbalance. Specifically masseter hypertrophy from bruxism/ grinding teeth. I grind teeth and clench more on my right side for some reason, so that lead to my masseters becoming much larger, thus giving the look of asymmetry. There are options like botox to relax and slim down the muscle, but I''l try to fix to bruxism from a holistic point of view, finding the root cause. Then once I fix the bruxism I'll try  to instead strengthen my left side, since I like the way my right side looks wider. So to sum it up, a lot of jaw looking asymmetries potentially could just be caused by uneven teeth grinding leading to a masseter to become much larger than the other. Search up unilateral masseter hypetrophy and you'll see lots of "asymmetric jaws" when its actually just the masseter. However, I believe when left like this for a long time, it will consequentially end up influencing the size of the jaws. Let me know what you think and hopefully we can come up with a solution! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2020 10:05 pm