Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How to avoid Tmj when chewing gum  

RSS
WtfAmI

Got Tmj again today while chewing falim gum. I dont get it, everytime the pain just comes out of nowhere... What am I doing wrong, should I s´start using a warm upß Or Can somebody recommend some massage exercise, something Im missing here?

Posted : 12/03/2020 4:51 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

Stop chewing gum!!! That’s what you are doing wrong.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2020 6:50 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

I think that @sergio-oms is here. Chewing gum may be good practice if you've got sufficient development for it, but if your mandible is too far back, it can exacerbate TMJ. I tend to think that the importance of chewing is a bit exaggerated, because modern people tend to be deficient in that respect only secondarily; the primary area of deficiency is tongue posture (speaking in broad terms here). I'd say, focus on other aspects of mewing for now, such as tongue posture (don't forget the suction!) and lip seal. It may also be helpful to address your neck posture, spinal posture, and your sleeping position (if you're not mewing at night, you may be undoing your progress). As for chewing, what you can do is ensure that you chew all your food thoroughly. Give some time, and if after a year, two, or more, you notice that you've made any progress, maybe try giving chewing gum another shot (but safely) to see if anything's also improved in respect to TMJ.

Good luck!

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2020 7:55 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

Start slowly if you have never been much of a gum chewing guy.

I very rarely chewed gum in my childhood and as a result I didn't have any TMD or a well-developed mandible or masetters. Now I have included gum chewing in my routine since starting mewing and the starting point is 30 mins of chewing (1 xylitol gum) every two days. I will increase the duration or the amount of gum every month, so my bones and muscles have time to adapt to the increase of stress, just like in a workout at the gym.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 7:01 am
OkBrah
Posted by: @sergio-oms

Can you elaborate on this? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 9:12 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member
Posted by: @okbrah
Posted by: @sergio-oms

Can you elaborate on this? 

@Elwynn explained it. I agree with his explanation. Probably I don’t agree with the effectiveness of the method but he explained well why chewing gum can be harmful, specially if the “chewer” has an underdeveloped mandible

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2020 12:45 pm
Shaku

Regarding the video by Mew today on Mewing risks, I have been chewing a lot for two years, and I've yet to develop any TMJ, however, when I do the test of putting my fingers in my ears, I do feel something shifting as my mandible goes up, I also hear some cracking noises. Does this mean I should stop? I would imagine I would have developed some issues by now if that was the case.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/05/2020 5:32 pm