Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How recessed are you? How to track progress inside  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @elwynn

@auxiliarus

It seems to me that your bone structure is actually decent, and it is a lack of soft-tissue development that presents the most immediate avenue for improvement. The skin underneath your mandible appears slack, which possibly accounts for why your jawline doesn't look very sharp. Can you raise your hyoid along with the posterior of your tongue without cutting off the airway?

Yeah if I do this I do have a jawline, but it's obviously unnatural as [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated]?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2020 9:10 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @azrael
Posted by: @auxiliarus

@azrael

Yeah you're wrong. My eyes are actually looking straight ahead, though i did remove them so you can't see that. My ears are just really rotated, maybe from recession.

Your eyes can look straight ahead from a variety of angles, doesn't mean your head isn't tilted. And I don't think ears rotate from maxillary recession, it doesn't make sense to me.

And nope, I'm not wrong.

You didn't answer any of my questions, by the way.

Sleeping position either on stomach or side, yeah I did chin tucks, I do both soft and hard mewing.

The reason I think is wrong is in the picture my eyes are exactly in the middle of my vision. So I'm actually looking straight ahead. I've made sure before posting the picture to focus on the middle of the range of motion of my eyes and then move my head to look straight ahead.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2020 9:13 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael

Yeah you're wrong. My eyes are actually looking straight ahead, though i did remove them so you can't see that. My ears are just really rotated, maybe from recession.

Your eyes can look straight ahead from a variety of angles, doesn't mean your head isn't tilted. And I don't think ears rotate from maxillary recession, it doesn't make sense to me.

And nope, I'm not wrong.

Sleeping position either on stomach or side, yeah I did chin tucks, I do both soft and hard mewing.

The reason I think is wrong is in the picture my eyes are exactly in the middle of my vision. So I'm actually looking straight ahead. I've made sure before posting the picture to focus on the middle of the range of motion of my eyes and then move my head to look straight ahead.

You need to have your head level to the ground, that's all there is to it. I'm not saying you did it (tilting) on purpose, just that it needs to be taken into consideration when taking progress pics.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 6:41 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@azrael

And nope, I'm not wrong.

You need to have your head level to the ground, that's all there is to it. I'm not saying you did it (tilting) on purpose, just that it needs to be taken into consideration when taking progress pics.

What are you arguing about again?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 7:35 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus

Yeah if I do this I do have a jawline, but it's obviously unnatural as [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated]?

If you employ tongue suction and form a vacuum in your mouth, it should help to keep everything elevated. If you're finding it unnatural, it may just be because you're not used to it.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 8:38 am
MoonPix1985

I don't know what to think of the mew line indicator because I measured mine last night and as a 34 year old male mine is 45mm despite the fact that I had severe crowding the point where my two canines looked like vampire fangs. Does this mean that the problem is more a lack of jaw width rather than down and backwards growth? I always have assumed that all dimensions of growth were interrelated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 2:46 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @moonpix1985

I don't know what to think of the mew line indicator because I measured mine last night and as a 34 year old male mine is 45mm despite the fact that I had severe crowding the point where my two canines looked like vampire fangs. Does this mean that the problem is more a lack of jaw width rather than down and backwards growth? I always have assumed that all dimensions of growth were interrelated.

It's possible to be lacking in one mode of growth and have others present. For example, I personally have my left side decently grown downwards but my right side is lacking. My right side has more width however and my ogee curve is pronounced on that side. My left side has more forward growth too since when I brush behind my left wisdom tooth I have more room for the brush than on the right. 

It's possible to also have a low Mew line and crowding simply because the maxilla is vertically short. But the maxilla being vertically short doesn't mean it has to be wide. 

This guy has a vertically short maxilla that is also narrow. So he ends up with a short face/weak lower third but his midface is still long. His maxilla didn't grow downward nor forward nor sideways, but it is still vertically short.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 3:42 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

In his case it's obvious that his maxilla is rotated too much clockwise. Look at under his eyes. It's like it's a straight wall on his face.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 4:37 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@eddiemoney

In his case it's obvious that his maxilla is rotated too much clockwise. Look at under his eyes. It's like it's a straight wall on his face.

Short maxillae tend to have this pattern of growth which is why short faced people tend to be Class 2 Div 2. Their Mew lines are low too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 5:54 pm
max iller
Eminent Member

Posted by: @eddiemoney

Interesting to see how low his under-eye bags sit despite his eyes sitting high up in the orbit, from this I imagine his orbital bones are more oval shaped and long than compact circles.

The idea that the skull narrows and elongates with poor posture seems very obvious here. like it's all stretched down. He has a thin top lip which indicates to me that he speaks with his chin too, from the side his bottom lip probably comes forward from his top.

He gets away with it all though with good symmetry and nice soft-features. He isn't unpleasant to look at. Throw him in a tribe of his neolithic counterparts though... It's all relative

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 8:49 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @maxiller

Posted by: @eddiemoney

Interesting to see how low his under-eye bags sit despite his eyes sitting high up in the orbit, from this I imagine his orbital bones are more oval shaped and long than compact circles.

The idea that the skull narrows and elongates with poor posture seems very obvious here. like it's all stretched down. He has a thin top lip which indicates to me that he speaks with his chin too, from the side his bottom lip probably comes forward from his top.

He gets away with it all though with good symmetry and nice soft-features. He isn't unpleasant to look at. Throw him in a tribe of his neolithic counterparts though... It's all relative

Good symmetry? His midface ratio is horrendous. Symmetry goes beyond just left to right, harmony also matters. And a long nose isn't considered a soft feature. Sure he has a flat forehead/no brow/low hairline and a small jaw but he isn't exactly a pretty boy. Out of all the friends cast he is considered the least good looking/dorkiest in appearance. I am sure the long midface doesn't help either. No lateral growth to be seen, either.

Forget Neolithic counterparts because his costars Matt LeBlanc and Matthew Perry both had way better development. One doesn't need to be Neolithic to have better bones than this guy, just average growth will suffice. 

His skull isn't actually elongated, though. It only appears so due to his lack of width. What his skull lacks is both width and height. The height is low because his forehead and lower third are both short. His midface and middle third aren't terribly long because if his jaw developed more his face would get longer but also much wider. He ends up being one of those people with a skull that is vertically short but so narrow that it looks elongated. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 10:17 pm
Elwynn liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Now that I keep analyzing it, I think Ross' nose may not actually be long. However, because his other facial bones didn't develop much, the middle part of his face looks too large. In actuality his nose may be of average length, while the rest of his skull and features would be below average. He does have a very soft structure which could make him a pretty boy if his nose and middle third didn't grow that much. You never see a "pretty boy" with a big nose, rather they have small (bony) features all around.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2020 10:50 am
Page 2 / 2