Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How many hours a day do you guys chew?  

RSS
HyperMewer

Let me know please.

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 26/11/2019 1:30 am
HyperMewer

Push.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/11/2019 4:27 pm
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

I do maybe 1-hour chewing of mastic/regular gum mixture. Starting to feel as though it's making my face look fat since my face is recessed a bit though...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/11/2019 5:35 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Zero. Chewing does little to nothing positive for facial development. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/11/2019 5:54 pm
RamonT liked
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: @eddiemoney

I could not agree with you more.

I personally believe that chewing one's food well, like 35 or 40 times on each mouth full is all you need.

I never chew gum in my entire life, I always thought it was unhealthy, I still believe so.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/11/2019 10:15 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Just because you have a severe underbite so that chewing, in your case, physiologically implies an eccesive rotation of the maxilla, doesn't mean that other people with a way different occlusion, won't benefit of chewing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 5:24 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @kyte

Just because you have a severe underbite so that chewing, in your case, physiologically implies an eccesive rotation of the maxilla, doesn't mean that other people with a way different occlusion, won't benefit of chewing

Ok, so how would someone with a deep bite benefit from it?

Personally I haven't seen any aesthetic transformations due to chewing. Just blown out masseters. Spacing between facial features remains unchanged so they remain disharmonious but with a big mandible. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 8:34 am
RamonT liked
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

I don't know because I am not a professionist and you neither. Mike Mew is, par excellence. So if he says that chewing big bolus can bring some benefits, I'd listen to him rather than a random Person on the internet.

Then, It is up to me and my intelligence to consult different experts, put together their observation, frame which are my bad habits properly , developing a certain proprioception and deciding what treatment it is suitable for me or eventually how to personalise It on my own.

I said a way different occlusion not the opposite and I agree that it could worsen the situation. But how did It end up to develop that kind of malocclusion? Too many factor to evaluate...

I can only try to guess why I ended up to have a slight class III and openbite. 

I'd like to achieve an high efficent chewing, but I concluded that due to my kind of occlusion It Is too risky trying to parsuit It throught mastic gums chewing, at LEAST, as long as my last molars don't make contact enough in order to excert the forces I require to fix my bite, associated with ICW expansion as you said

At the moment i limit myself to this

Posted by: @ramont

"I personally believe that chewing one's food well, like 35 or 40 times on each mouth full is all you need."

To sum up, chewing Is NOT miracolous, but if It Is done in the manner that suits to each individual, can promote combined effects such as expansion and minor teeth alignment. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 10:51 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I have never seen Mike Mew prescribe lots of chewing as some sort of solution to crooked teeth or narrow palates. Tongue chewing, yes. Where has Mike Mew said that heavy chewing brings amazing facial benefits?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 11:50 am
RamonT liked
printfactory
Eminent Member

@eddiemoney at least for children he recommends heavy chewing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL8di_NoQgU

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 12:22 pm
Kyte liked
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

He states that humans beings are supposed to have a way harder diet in plenty of his videos (@printfactory posted a good one of them) . So my conception of "hard chewing" consists in using a tough gum Just to make up for the lack of masticatory effort that our modern average diet requires.

It Is up to us to understand how much we need It. That's the reasons why I consider uneffective trying to give an answer to this kind of questions

https://youtu.be/MNuVYBYfbps

https://youtu.be/6ouWzTKbTiM

https://youtu.be/vGWc03HxMG0

There are probably some other

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 12:28 pm
HyperMewer

After each chewing session, mewing is hundred times easier for me. The tongue literally elevates and sticks there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 7:30 pm
Mewed

@eddiemoney

What about when you are expanding your upper jaw, would you still say its pointless?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/12/2019 3:52 pm
J3tze

@ramont

How would you know if it's unhealthy if you have never even tried it? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2019 6:55 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: @j3tze

@ramont

How would you know if it's unhealthy if you have never even tried it? 

Good question!

You got me there, bro =_=. Of course, I have chewed gum at a young age, as we all do, but never liked it and did it just because it was" kool". I stopped doing it in my early teens when I became more health-conscious. I guess I should've said IMO I find chewing gum unhealthy for several reasons. Although now they use different ingredients to make it less health risk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2019 9:59 am
J3tze

@ramont

I get that, I never liked gum either when I was little. If you ever feel like trying it again I'd recommend mastic gum, it's made of tree resin and has no added sugars. I find that chewing makes keeping an oral vacuum way easier. After a long session my tongue is practically glued to the roof of my mouth. It has also made my jawline sharper so that's nice too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2019 10:41 am