Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How long did your palate expander take to arrive from when ordered off the braces shop  

RSS
Liam1511

After you sent your impressions, how long did it take to arrive?

Posted : 20/08/2020 5:09 am
Mr_Man

About one and a half months

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 9:14 am
Liam1511 liked
dadfa

Yes it was about 1.5 - 2 months process.  I live the in the U.S.  It might take longer, because of Covid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 2:56 pm
Liam1511

@dadfa

have you had any success with it and seen any facial changes?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 11:15 pm
Liam1511

@mr_manhave you had any success with it and seen any facial changes?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2020 11:16 pm
Mr_Man

@liam1511

Yes, some.  I've done a lot of hardmewing too, so it's hard to say if my changes are due to the mewing, the expander, or both.

Although I expanded transversely a total of about 5 mm from Dec 2019 until July 2020, I would say that at least half of that was just molar tipping.  I do believe though that my palate itself expanded for the remainder.  My upper incisors appeared to have moved forward about 1 mm (again, not sure if the mewing or the transverse-only expander combined w/ reverse headgear contributed more).

I definitely notice a bit of a change in my bite looking at pictures before and after.

My nose above the nostrils has gotten wider (others have noticed).  Cheekbones slightly wider; I can feel this much more than I can see it.  I notice this in the mirror but no one else has said anything about this yet.  My guess is that these mid-face changes are due more to the mewing than the expander.  I also have exceptionally thin bones which probably makes this a bit easier for me.

I also have a midline diastema of about 1/2 mm (and had none before).  During the expansion, the diastema had been as big as 1 mm.  Not sure if the transverse acrylic expander simply moved incisors sideways or if the diastema is due to the palate itself having been expanded.

At this point, I still need to come forward a few mm (having edge-to-edge incisors) and expand transversely upwards of 10 mm (having posterior crossbite), but I was worse off before the mewing/expander.

I stopped using the expander in mid July, as the tipping scared me.  I am now beginning to work with a provider that practices MARPE/MSE but my first consult was inconclusive as to whether I'm eligible or not (I'm a very rare case, as they've told me).  I'll find out more hopefully within the next few weeks.

The tipping, thankfully, seems to have reverted back.  The angle of my molars looks to be the same as before I ever used the expander, but my upper IMW seems a bit wider, due to the aforementioned increase in width of the palate itself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2020 1:15 am
Liam1511 liked
Mewem143

@mr_man you said you did hard mewing, what was your frequency/ schedule for using the expander and mewing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2020 9:31 am
Mr_Man

@mewem143

I started mewing May 2019; back then my tongue force wasn't what it is now.  I'd so the suction hold for maybe a minute or two, several times a day.  When I began the expander, I'd turn 1/4 turn about every 4 days or so, or sometimes 1/8 turn every two days or so.  There were times when I'd have to go backwards due to discomfort, and a few times when I'd leave it out for a couple days or up to a week. I got up to a total of 21 turns (5.25 mm) by the end.  Generally though, I'd wear it most if the day, so mewing, when it was out, was only once or twice a day.

Since I stopped the expander, I stepped up the mewing to where I push as hard as I can, for a whole minute, focusing intensely on my posterior third.  I'll do this anywhere from 3 to 10 times a day.  That's all I'm doing until I hear more from my ortho.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2020 6:07 pm
Kilroy

My expander arrives today, and it has been a little more than a month since I sent off the impression.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2020 3:07 am
Liam1511

@kilroyant results so far?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2020 10:21 am
S1m0
 S1m0

2 weeks to make from when impressions were recieved and 5 days delivery to the uk got the y-plate Schwarz currently on 8.75mm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2020 6:48 pm
Liam1511

@s1m0 noticed any facial changes?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 10:53 am
S1m0
 S1m0

@liam1511 firstly I noticed my cheeks are more prominent and my eyes look less tired. I think I also have gotta some forward movement of the maxilla but can’t be 100 percent but it seems like I have. Also my nasal breathing has dramatically improved and I noticed this after 4mm of expansion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 12:49 pm
cliffbars

@s1m0 have you gotten a diastema? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2020 12:23 am