NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How do you contract the palatoglossus?  

RSS
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Does anyone have a link to an explanation or a video?

Posted : 29/06/2019 3:52 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

The pataglossus raises the back of the tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2019 4:53 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

So by mewing properly, you are automatically contracting the pataglossus?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2019 6:07 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

Yes, that's what I assume at least. I suspect for that reason getting the posterior third of the tongue is the most important aspect of mewing/tongue posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2019 7:17 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

If that's the case, that would make sense.  I keep reading advanced mewers stressing the importance of "contracting the palatoglossus" and was confused as to whether that was an advanced technique.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2019 7:26 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: drunkwithcoffee

Does anyone have a link to an explanation or a video?

He talks about it at the 6:11, but i suggest you watch the whole video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lATWhP0wJ5c

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2019 9:30 pm
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

Personally I feel like good upper back and cervical posture and allowing the mandible to jut forward in a comfortable enough position is what makes me able to have a much better mind/muscle connection of the palatoglossus. Hyiod position has a lot to do with it. If it's relaxed and up and your airway is more expanded you contract the palatoglossus a lot better. That's why I keep saying posture needs more attention than mewing alone. It's very symbiotic. Mewing alone will start correcting your posture but you get to a point where you need to make an active effort on body posture if you want to really get the benefits of mewing. Hard mewers for example think that pushing it hard up there is what will strengthen the tongue so eventually they will be able to consistently hit the anterior third but it won't. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2019 8:59 am
RamonT liked
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

@RamonT thank you, very helpful video!

@Roflcopters I've been gradually reaching the same conclusion - posture FIRST.  99% of people with good facial development have near perfect posture and it's much more than just correlation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2019 10:35 am
RamonT liked