fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How do we correct overbite without professional help?

Meowxilla
Trusted Member

I haven't seen enough information about overbite.

How did you treated yours?

What is theory behind developing overbite?

Is it possible to treat it at 20+?

Any info for this post would be awesome. 

Topic starter Posted : 29/11/2020 7:17 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

Overbite or overjet? I think with an overbite you could theoretically fix it pushing the tongue against the teeth and using the incisors when chewing, this might reestablish proper occlusion. For an overjet I think it might be due to a narrow palate, especially having a low ICW or V shaped palate, this messes up the occlusion of the front teeth and sets the mandible back. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2020 1:12 pm
TheBeastPanda
Trusted Member

@sinned Pushing the teeth with the tongue??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that was a very highly dissuaded and self-sabotaging practice. And what's low ICW, I have a narrow palate and an overjet. So expanding the palate will fix it, and can you expantiate when you say it sets the mandible back. What would be the best way to fix it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2020 1:26 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

@thebeastpanda

Generally it isn't a good idea to push teeth, but pushing teeth isn't bad if the teeth are in the wrong position, in the case of an overbite where the upper teeth are occluding OVER the lower teeth and usually retroclined it might be a good idea to flare them out. Optimally of course you would want to grow the maxilla forward and the occlusion would probably fix itself but that's more difficult than moving teeth. ICW = inter canine width. It depends as well on just how deep the overbite is, if you have a really deep overbite than if you tried to push the front teeth you'd also push the lower teeth as well, so it might be better to position the tongue where the incisive papilla is.

Here's an illustration to get a better idea of what I mean. It's also a good example of what I mean by setting the mandible back, I think the issue with overbites and overjets is suboptimal occlusion on the front teeth forcing the mandible back. The occlusal plane and inclination of the teeth might also have something to do with it but I'm not sure exactly, if you have a better occlusal plane the mandible seems to swing forward.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2020 3:35 pm
TheBeastPanda
Trusted Member

@sinned wait so how does icw pertain to overbites and overjet again? I have a slight overbite- my bite isn't optimal but my lower teeth aren't occluding over my lower teeth lol.  I just have kind've of a prominent overjet, and I don't want to go to an ortho where they retract my jaws. So what should I do?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/11/2020 4:06 pm
Meowxilla
Trusted Member

@sinned

I have simillar condition to your attached picture. I think pushing make sense. I have recessed look. If i do chin tucks there is almost no projection. My face melts with neck. Chin looks recessed due to lower theeth being traped behind upper ones.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/11/2020 5:05 pm