Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How Can I Shorten My Midface?  

RSS
Spade
Eminent Member

Hey everybody. I'd really like to hear other's opinions on midface shortening. My midface ratio really depresses me.

Any opinions on how to shorten it? Of course it's widely understood that mewing and postural correction can help, but is there anything else I can do?

16 now and have been mewing since May last year.

Posted : 29/10/2019 8:46 pm
Topic Tags
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member

How to shorten it is the 1 billion dollar question. However you said that you are bothered by the ratio and paltal expansion does indeed improve it by widening the midface as you can see here

(homeoblock appliance used for this case)

Now if you can expand trough mewing alone then you are lucky, but if your palate is too smal you will need some help to begin with, whether you chose mewing, a tooth borne palatal expander or a bone born palatal expander is entirely up to you.

If you go with the MSE, you can use a facemask and try to get that counterclockwise rotation as shown here:

Achieving this will definetly shorten your midface but keep in mind that this is a simulation, nobody that i am aware of has achieved that. 

For many reasons i believe that this is possible but i don't personally need something like this

Here is the article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26061987

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 1:50 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Midface shortening happens through widening, not really CCW maxillary rotation. As far as I know MSE pulls the maxilla along the occlusal plane, no?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 2:31 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

@fknasymmetries @eddiemoney

I forgot to mention that my face is already fairly wide and my palate is decently wide as well. By midface ratio I was referring to the large distance of my eyes to my mouth and the short length of my chin. Although I was thinking of going through some palate expansion to make my palate even wider anyway. My maxilla is also forward grown but it's my mandible that needs some upswing.

Would a palate expander help to shorten the actual length of the midface and not just make it wider?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 7:27 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @spade

@fknasymmetries @eddiemoney

I forgot to mention that my face is already fairly wide and my palate is decently wide as well. By midface ratio I was referring to the large distance of my eyes to my mouth and the short length of my chin. Although I was thinking of going through some palate expansion to make my palate even wider anyway. My maxilla is also forward grown but it's my mandible that needs some upswing.

Would a palate expander help to shorten the actual length of the midface and not just make it wider?

Palate expansion may increase your interpupillary distance which shortens the midface by changing the ratio. 

What is your bite structure?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 7:37 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

@eddiemoney

So it would make my ipd greater, shortening my midface by illusion, rather than actually shortening it? The thing is my eye distance is already a bit on wide side.

Also I have a bit of an overbite, nothing too crazy though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 7:48 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@eddiemoney

So it would make my ipd greater, shortening my midface by illusion, rather than actually shortening it? The thing is my eye distance is already a bit on wide side.

If your eyes are spaced wide how is your midface ratio long?

Do do you mean you want a longer lower third? Because I am starting to gather that based on you having an overbite and feeling your chin is back a bit then you could benefit from LENGTHENING your lower third as opposed to shortening your midface .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 8:03 pm
Spade
Eminent Member
Posted by: @eddiemoney

@eddiemoney

If your eyes are spaced wide how is your midface ratio long?

Do do you mean you want a longer lower third? Because I am starting to gather that based on you having an overbite and feeling your chin is back a bit then you could benefit from LENGTHENING your lower third as opposed to shortening your midface .

My eyes are spaced wide but my midface length is long and my chin is short as well. Not sure how having wide-set eyes would automatically make your midface length short, my face isn't narrow but the distance from my eyes to my mouth is long. But yes, optimally, I would like to lengthen my lower third also because it's short but my midface is long as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 8:52 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

@eddiemoney @fknasymetries

my bad if I confused you guys, what I meant by 'midface ratio' was my midface length compared to my lower third length.

My midface length is on the longer side and my lower third length is on the short side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2019 9:22 pm
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member

My eyes are spaced wide but my midface length is long and my chin is short as well. Not sure how having wide-set eyes would automatically make your midface length short, my face isn't narrow but the distance from my eyes to my mouth is long. But yes, optimally, I would like to lengthen my lower third also because it's short but my midface is long as well.

Yeah it was confusing for us because we thought that you were talking about the midface ratio which is IPD by distance from the center of your pupilis to your upper lip. It should be equal to 1 or close, that's why we suggested palatal expansion, expanding your palate and the midface like in this before after i attached on my first post would definetly improve it.

As for your lower third, it is trapped behind that downward grown maxilla, it wants to come forward but it can't due to the maxilla. Depending of how downward grown you are, your lower jaw might have not grown long enough this varies a lot from one individual to another and we can't tell you without photos, but even then, you'de better seek a professional's opinion than our.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2019 6:12 am
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member
Posted by: @eddiemoney

Midface shortening happens through widening, not really CCW maxillary rotation. As far as I know MSE pulls the maxilla along the occlusal plane, no?

actually yes having a wide face gives the appearance of a shorter face, take cavill, remove some of his facial width and boom, all the attention is drawn to his longish philtrum.

As for the ccw rotation of the maxilla, won moon once said it is possible in adult. Then we have this monkey experience from Michael Cole showing that the this phenomenon can happen with the adapted forces.

Now when you take a look at the stress distribution in this article you can see that the stimulation F is what we can call "adapted forces". And we have ronald ead who complained about headaches when using the facemask, which means that something definetly happens with it.

And no if you check his facemask video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptdF2ukctc you can see that you can adjust the force vectors. There are also other facemask designs that are more optimal than this one...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2019 6:26 am
Johncoolj

Hey I get what you mean 

Here is Woody Allen long face 1st pic is him where I made his face wider 

2nd one Is him as he is 

3rd pic I made his face shorter 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2019 3:34 pm
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register