Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How can I get the idea to my mother's head that your normal harmless friendly braces are a bad idea?  

RSS
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

I have said things like "Why do dentists take pictures of the patients face without the patient showing their teeth?" Because it changes theform of the skull specifically the jaws of the face. It told her how I've gotten space for my wisdom teeth because of my braces she said "Oh, they must be good than" I said no if the braces can do that they can change your face too negatively. 

If I'm being honest with myself I'm not goodlooking and not genetically fit but I must preserve what little I have of my looks and my airway too. 

And from my mother's side is that she worked her back off to pay the braces off. Shr has a "if everyone is doing it than it must be okay" mentality, look at this family we know and trust they're intellegent they would know if they were messing up their children's life.

Can you guys please send me some convincing arguments. I'm no different in being susceptible to the damage.

Posted : 14/10/2019 12:17 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

Your mom sounds like the type of person who accepts or denies information depending on who's providing it (I don't mean offense here, and correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, then perhaps show her a video of a professional-looking orthodontist talking about the negative consequences of removing teeth for braces. Maybe someone dressed in a lab-coat will appear more credible to her than a young son.

If I'm being honest with myself I'm not goodlooking and not genetically fit but I must preserve what little I have of my looks and my airway too. 

I think that I've seen photos of you, which you posted sometime ago on here, and I honestly find it strange that you don't consider yourself attractive. By all means, practice good oral posture for improving your health and aesthetics, but you're a good-looking lad, and I don't think that you have much to worry about in that regard. Realize that unhappiness about your appearance isn't always rooted in truth, but can rather be a consequence of lack of confidence or other false psychological convictions.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 12:51 am