Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Homemade Maxillary Protractor V2.0  

RSS
Neigh

Originally posted by "Facepuller" in 2015

Provides an upwards and forward force on the palate, without touching the teeth and leaving enough space for proper tongue posture to assist the movement. The reaction force is splint between the forehead (70%) and the chin(30%). It also expands the palate from the bone exclusively as the appliance is NOT teeth anchored. I am getting about a total of 2kg of constant force on my maxilla. This is actually dozens of prototypes after the headgear I posted on SH four months ago. I have had ZERO progress as of now, and I blame it to the design of my old headgears which was subpar, delivering low amounts of forces inefficiently. I am actually wearing a newer version of this headgear, which is less bulky and more comfortable during sleep.

The oral appliance is made out of self-curing acrylic, an expansion screw and an orthodontic facebow. I got the materials from internet and from an ortho lab. 

It takes about 1-days work to make the full appliance + headgear, once you have all the materials. In short, you have to make a cast of your maxilla and teeth, and then you build the appliance on the cast out of acrylic and metal. For the headgear you use fiberglass tape and some stainless steel rods.

Runner bands on the side of my head are pushing upwards. Rubber bands on top of my head are creating a lever on my forehead to push my maxilla forward.

I talked to the author of that study and he said that the key is VERY HIGH force and VERY FREQUENT wear, although he doubts it's feasible on humans. In the study, they used 1kg of force (monkey's head is smaller than human's) and a 24h wear for 4 months. Skeletal changes are huge for four months, but it messed up the occlusion as his appliance was anchored to the molars.

Palatal expansion is only 1/3 of the growth I am trying to achieve. I am also going for a forward and upwards displacement. To match this, I would need SARPE, Maxillary Impaction and LF1. Also LF1 gives inferior aesthetic results because it only moves the lower half of the maxilla, rather than the bone as a whole. 

I am not eligible for bimax advancement. I have a mild maxillary hypoplasia and mild mandibular prognathism. A maxfac surgeon said that the could advance my maxilla by 3mm with a LF1, but he told me that the aesthetic benefits would be minimal, and I would have to wear braces for years.

The best proof I have that maxillary displacement is possible in adults is this study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/107807

" 1. The termination active sutural growth is of little significance to the remodeling potential of the sutural articulations and the morphologic adaptability of the facial skeletal complex. 
2. The length of time necessary for resorptive remodeling of the sutural bony projections is partially responsible for the slower rate of detectable skeletal movement in adult animals.
3. The sutural ligament in adult animals is initially less responsive to the effects of extraoral force application, possibly because of a diminished level of cellular activity at older ages. "

I talked to the author of this study on the phone and he told me it is theoretically possible, but hard to achieve and he would not use this as clinical treatment in his practice. 

But yes, I guess that if surgery is too subtle, it will be hard to achieve significant results with this method. I am hoping that the 3-directional movement will have a bigger impact than a LF1, and that since I am trying to move the maxilla as a whole, the eye area will also improve making the whole thing more impactful.

What differentiates my appliance from the traditional orthodontist's is that it is NOT teeth anchored. All the forces are applied directly on the maxillary bone. It is very easy to attach a facemask to a teeth anchored palatal expander, but you will completely mess up an adult bite long before achieving bone growth. My appliance does not touch the teeth at any place, and I can even wear an invisible retainer to maintain my bite while I continue to expand my palate. This is what I am counting on to achieve results.

50 hours a week is actually very little. It's less than 8 hours a day, I am going for at least 14hrs a day + tongue posture when not wearing the headgear, so that there is always a force pushing on my maxilla. Erosion is a very powerful phenomenon and it works the same way: light but constant forces. 

This is the 1 month progress pic

I have a definite space that appeared between my two front teeth.

Also, here is an interesting article showing that slow palatal expansion IN ADULTS increases facial width (measured from cheekbone to cheekbone). 

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0034-72992006000200004&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

There is a lot of research and evidence that suggests the craniofacial sutures are greatly affected by minor forces over time with the mid palatal suture being the most responsive to these treatments. Just look at the skull of this guy that got kicked by a horse and developed cyst that grew for 20 years actually stretching the orbital sutures several CENTIMETERS over that time period.

https://cranialintelligence.com/2012/01/10/the-skull-can-change-shape/

I have consulted several professionals, here is the summary of what they said:

Orthodontist from a local university: You are crazy, there is no way this will work. You palate cannot sustain such high forces comfortably.

Author of an adult monkey study: This is possible in theory, but I wouldn't prescribe it to my patients. You need high forces on a consistent basis for this to work.

Dentist from NYC: This is great, it will work for sure. You only need small forces to provoke bone growth in adults. I will try something similar on my patients.

My orthodontists: This could work, come see me every few months so we keep track and make sure you don't mess up your bite.

Posted : 11/03/2019 7:19 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Neigh

What differentiates my appliance from the traditional orthodontist's is that it is NOT teeth anchored. All the forces are applied directly on the maxillary bone. It is very easy to attach a facemask to a teeth anchored palatal expander, but you will completely mess up an adult bite long before achieving bone growth. My appliance does not touch the teeth at any place, and I can even wear an invisible retainer to maintain my bite while I continue to expand my palate. This is what I am counting on to achieve results.

He is applying all the force to the alveolar ridge part of the maxilla. That's the part that's most likely to change first and foremost. 

Do you know what happened to his experiment?

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 11:46 pm
Sailor87
Eminent Member

Well done, very impressive, looking forward to follow your progress. I would imagine that the human skull would be more sensitive and change faster than a monkey would, since our bones are alot weaker.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2019 6:22 am
Bogdar
Eminent Member

You are the audacious heroes we need 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2019 9:19 am
Facetimeskink

Please let us know how this turned out!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2019 5:33 pm
ladida

If it works can you patent it and can I be put on a list? Lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 10:10 pm
WishIKnewSooner

Please keep us updated

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 10:25 pm
Symbiant

The madman actually did it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 1:07 pm
WishIKnewSooner

I’m actually going to make something myself. Probably a hockey mask with a simple moldable mouthguard as the anchor. I want forward and upward shift in my maxilla.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 4:37 pm
ladida liked
Alexanderr

Great work, keep us updated, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2019 9:56 am
ladida

Please also mention, if you've gotten any relapse after some disuse. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2019 10:15 pm
jimbobape

Could you please make a shopping list of the things that I need to buy to build this (specifically the mouth piece) or could someone else in this thread please point me in the right direct. I am going to build this device and ascend 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2019 10:48 pm
WishIKnewSooner

I’ve already bought a baseball helmet with face guard attached, rubber bands, paper clips, moldable mouthguard. Gonna get some epoxy and wire and order some moldable plastic online and be tinkering for the next couple of weeks.

The challenge will be anchoring the mouthpiece in such a fashion as to ensure the force is directed at the molars primarily. I also don’t want the mouthpiece to inhibit palate expansion. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2019 11:10 pm
ToothMan246

This appliance is only expanding the upper arch. There needs to be a way for the lower teeth to follow, or else you could end up with a scissor bite. Maybe chewing tough gum for a chunk of the day could help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2019 4:58 pm
Neigh
Posted by: @abdulrahman
Posted by: Neigh

He is applying all the force to the alveolar ridge part of the maxilla. That's the part that's most likely to change first and foremost. 

Do you know what happened to his experiment?

This log is a condensed version of everything he posted over the course of several months.

This was his version 2.0 headgear. He mentioned working on a V 3.0 and one of his posts implied he had mostly finished it and began to wear it. But he felt it needed some type of adjustment. Then he stopped posting. That was four years ago, so I'm guessing there will never be an update.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2019 11:54 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: @neigh

This log is a condensed version of everything he posted over the course of several months.

This was his version 2.0 headgear. He mentioned working on a V 3.0 and one of his posts implied he had mostly finished it and began to wear it. But he felt it needed some type of adjustment. Then he stopped posting. That was four years ago, so I'm guessing there will never be an update.

Thanks for replying. I mentioned his experiments in the understanding-the-monkey-experiments-that-inspired-mewing post and was hoping for any update but I guess this means no ever successfully replicated the results of those experiments in humans.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/10/2019 12:17 am
James
Eminent Member
Posted by: @abdulrahman
Posted by: @neigh

Thanks for replying. I mentioned his experiments in the understanding-the-monkey-experiments-that-inspired-mewing post and was hoping for any update but I guess this means no ever successfully replicated the results of those experiments in humans.

This facepulling project seems to have a current website here, and it has a contact page.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/10/2019 9:21 pm
Meowxilla
Eminent Member

Any updates, anything?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2020 5:17 am