Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Helping my 3 years old child  

RSS
bakwan

Hello,

I thought this forum would be the best place to find people with some understanding of why I want the best for my child maxillas. He's 3 years old and has been sucking his fingers since birth. Now his front upper teeth are coming forward, I have a hard time figuring out if it's the maxilla or the teeth. I have the same type of problem and on top of that the problem of long and narrow midface Mike Mew describes. To be honest, I don't have much hope for myself but I think a lot can be done for my child to get a good growth. I thought this thread could centralize discussion on the topic of young-age children, such as helping overcome sucking problem, finding good dental practitioner, help good growth...

If this type of thread already exists, please accept my apologies and indicate me.

Bakwan

(english is not my first language)

Posted : 31/01/2019 7:27 am
Freethemaxilla

From what I read, under 5 years old it a bit hard to make changes with your child. I would stop the finger sucking and then teach lips together. I noticed my 4 year old has a narrow mouth, I am working with her to keep her lips together when not talking and when eating. I think for early intervention the videos online can be helpful to work with your child, and then see a myofunctional therapist or a doctor to see if there is a medical reason for the mouth breathing if there is not improvement. The only think is, at the young age I don't know how am I suppose to know where the child's tongue is at rest, and how to notice improvements. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2019 1:06 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Where are you at?  I would not take everuthing Dr. Mike Mew says literally.  Gopex does & it scares me.  The level of pandrmonium is intense.  Hovering over kids or forcing the lips to stretch is not healthy for anyone involved.  I truly worry about some of these Gopex kids.  One day they may come to the realization that the reason their top teeth don't show is because of the activity their parents forced on them.  Having sagging skin around the lips isn't attractive.  Dr. Mew unfortunately is once again not correct.  Holy fretting!  I get it, though, and cannot judge.  I like Steven Lin - Dental Diet.  🙂  There are way too many factors to even begin to weigh in... I might look for a nearby expert?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2019 4:14 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

The amount of madness abounding in this space in relation to kids keeps me up at night.  Help us all from ourselves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2019 4:39 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

The thumb/finger sucking is said to be part of a self-soothing strategy and perhaps an instinctive attempt toward oral development. As it's an undesired behaviour, it might be stopped by redirecting it somehow. My toddler started biting my husband during their play after she ditched her chew toys, so I considered if that was part of an unmet oral need. With success ceasing the biting for several months now, she eats chewy and crunchy snacks daily (sun-dried raisins, carrots and celery). May still be too early for whole nuts.

Swallowing (which may help put the tongue on the roof of the mouth) can be encouraged with use of an open cup or 360 cup. Sippy and straw cups arent ideal with some speech therapists and dentists saying they negatively impact oral development.

Posted by: darkindigo

The amount of madness abounding in this space in relation to kids keeps me up at night.  Help us all from ourselves.

GoPex is capitalising off of concerned parents who didn't do the painless interventions during infancy for whatever reason. According to occupational therapists that work with infants, mis-use and over-use of baby gear is a culprit behind poor posture and physical development, as is insufficient tummy-time. Where I live, the public nurses instruct parents to feed their children using the "baby-led weaning" technique (in a nutshell, avoiding spoon feeding and reducing puréed foods) to help the infant/toddler develop their fine-motor skills and jaw. Breastfeeding doesn't guarantee nasal breathing, with some lactation consultants knowing that clearing the nose with a snot sucker when need be, avoiding allergens, checking temperature and humidity for ideal, having good bottle and breastfeeding position, in addition to sealing the lips if need be, eg after feeding, prior to rest, all work toward encouraging nasal breathing as a habit early on.

Sandra only briefly hints at the deleterious effects of incorrect use of baby gear in one video, and Mew fails to mention it completely afaik.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2019 7:50 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member