Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Help with Tongue Tie

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Klaw267
(@klaw267)
Topic starter

E97E9796 11CC 4635 94DA 7D75DD0830C2

Here is my case. 18M think I have a tongue tie, located in NY.

-First contacted and had a session with a myofunctional therapist to see if they could diagnose. Through talking with them, I came to distrust due to the fact that they mentioned that the whole tongue should not be resting on the palate, only the tip.

-They then diagnosed me with a tongue tie and referred me to laser release. The laser release is estimated to cost freaking 1K. 1K for a damn tongue tie and lip tie release. How much do you guys usually pay for releases? I feel 1K is not justifiable. 
-I’ll attach an image if any wants to see the tongue tie.
-They also diagnosed me with a lip tie, as my resting lip posture puts too much strain on my mentalis, causing open mouth resting posture when sleeping 

-All help is welcome. Thanks for reading 

Posted : 11/01/2021 11:51 am
Klaw267
(@klaw267)
Topic starter

@darkindigo would greatly appreciate your advice

Posted : 11/01/2021 8:00 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)

I don’t know what frenectomy should cost, but that seems high to me too. Did they refer you to an oral surgeon? Do you have a general dentist who you see for cleanings etc. who you could ask about frenectomy options?

Posted : 11/01/2021 9:17 pm
krollic
(@krollic)

I would not have much faith in such a myofunctional therapist, either.

See how much of the tongue can you get on the palate when your teeth are together and you’re doing a chintuck. Do a swallowing motion to test.

Have you attempted tongue tie stretching/release exercises? I would try that for some time before blowing a grand.

Posted : 11/01/2021 9:34 pm
drunkwithcoffee
(@drunkwithcoffee)

Contact Dr. Zaghi at the Breathe Institute to see if he can refer you to anyone. He’s the most knowledgeable doc in the frenectomy field. 

His surgeries cost $1k+ but he uses scissors.  Laser frenectomies should not run that high. 

Posted : 12/01/2021 12:22 am
Thomas22
(@thomas22)

For laser treatment, I was quoted 570. The said it might be lower when they did the final total.

It is a medical procedure, and it can be covered by health insurance. You may need to fight your insurance company though.

Posted : 14/01/2021 3:59 pm
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

In adults scissors are the way to go.

Posted : 15/01/2021 3:30 am
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

Posted by: @sergio-oms

In adults scissors are the way to go.

I mean anyone but babies, really

Posted : 15/01/2021 1:29 pm
toomer
(@toomer)

Posted by: @drunkwithcoffee

His surgeries cost $1k+ but he uses scissors. 

Agreed.  More importantly, from a contact I have who is a Zaghi-trained dentist, he believes that in most cases only scissors/scalpel should be used – much as @Sergio-OMS noted above.  As far as I understand it, Zaghi is almost never an advocate for laser.  He is available for remote consults – about $250 for 30 minutes if I remember correctly.

Posted : 15/01/2021 4:20 pm
dadfa
(@dadfa)

Does anyone know how exactly tongue tie and lip frenectomies are diagnosed.

From my unprofessional opinion you don’t look tongue tied.

Posted : 18/01/2021 1:32 am

THE GREAT WORK