Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Help, strong temporalis burn

Soulrack

Why do I feel my temporalis muscles working hard when chewing hard gum but not my masseters? What am I doing wrong?

Topic starter Posted : 26/02/2020 5:34 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

It's likely your occlusion that decides whether it's the masseters, the temporalis, or both that get activated. Try to move your jaw back and bite backwards (be careful with this if you're at risk for TMJ), and then jut your jaw forward and bite forwards. You may also try biting side to side. Do you notice a difference in what muscles are activated?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2020 1:50 pm
max iller liked
max iller
Eminent Member

As Elwynn says masticory activation is based on how forward your mandible is related to your maxilla. a maxilla that is set back usually is more temporalis type bite, the more forward, the more masseter activation. 

Nobody wants this to happen to their head:

I have been jutting my jaw and pushing forward on my premaxilla, with a slight suction at the back of the palate. hoping to drag the maxilla forward. This activates my masseters with almost no temporal burn. With a more forward position of the jaws the muscles should engage more evenly, preventing excess head meat.

This thread should put light to the relationship between masticory muscles if you haven't already read it.

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/jaws-masseter-pattern-vs-temporal-pattern/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2020 3:47 pm
Elwynn liked