DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION
This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.
Help please - think mewing made me assymetric and possibly worse looking?
I found out about mewing 2 and a bit years ago. Since then I've been actively trying (not sure if i've always been doing it right) to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth. I notice that I can sometimes be quite aware of this and I feel like the tip of my tongue is pressing too hard perhaps but I am trying to relax my mouth and work on this.
However I used to be a lot more symmetric and feel like ever since I started mewing - on one side of my face the jaw is more developed and lips are higher than the other side. However, weirdly, on this side the eye and eyebrow is also lower than on the other (probably less developed) side. I feel like I've messed up my face as I feel like I used to be more attractive. Another thing is now my upper teeth stick out more in like an overbite but not in a good way - I feel like my teeth look weird when I smile now and it just accentuates my under-projected mandible. Also the upper teeth almost look like they've lowered.
I feel like I want to stop mewing and let go of this completely as it's getting me down as I think about my tongue placement so much that it annoys me and also feel like I've started swallowing weirdly cause of my overbite.
Can anyone help me? Sorry for long post.
Probably due to you pushing on your pallet.
Some options for you…
- You may want to check old photographs and make sure it’s not your imagination. It's an easy thing to do when analyzing yourself in the mirror.
- If you’re not sure if you are practicing proper tongue posture correctly, you can work with a myofunctional therapist. You can work with an online therapist here… https://myfaceology.com/
- Here is an exercise I came up with to help with asymmetries… https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/exercise-to-fix-asymmetries/
- Check your personal messages for a fourth option. 🙂
Thanks so much for your very detailed and helpful response!
1) looking at photographs is what led me to this conclusion so I’m sure it is not my imagination. A lot of things seem to have changed on my face and not in a way which I like either. Although hopefully this means it’s possible to get it back to a place where I’m happy again
2) thanks for that link! I’ll check it out. I wasn’t sure who I should see but I think I may have given myself tmj so I’m going to a tmj physio to try and get a proper range of motion in my jaw again which will hopefully allow my tongue to be in a more natural position
3) your exercise seems useful and I will give it a try.
4) will reply to your PM now!