Notifications

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Help in addressing methods to correct asymmetries?  

RSS
Azrael
Trusted Member

I have some really weird facial asymmetries and I would love to hear your thoughts on addressing those issues if possible. The list goes as follows:

1. Left ramus shorter than right causing a greater gonial angle in the right.
  2. Right cheekbone being higher than the left.
  3. Left eye having a negtative Canthal tilt (probably because of 2.).
  4. Upper arch tilted more towards right.
  5. Lower lip tilted very slightly towards left (probably because of 1. and 4.)

I have an x-ray I took like a year ago and I illustrated my asymmetries in the below manner (excuse my poor sketching skills):

I think what contributed to the longer ramus on the left is chewing on the left for practically my whole life. As a solution I am now exclusively chewing on my right to try to balance the two sides out. I am not entirely sure if that is a good/recommended idea, though.

As for my history with orthodontics, I had an overbite, got fixed with four extractions, braces and elastics which straightened my teeth but gave me a massive gummy smile with an asymmetric smile and upper arch.

Posted : 27/02/2020 1:23 pm
Sergio-OMS
Eminent Member
Posted by: @azrael

I have some really weird facial asymmetries and I would love to hear your thoughts on addressing those issues if possible. The list goes as follows:

1. Left ramus shorter than right causing a greater gonial angle in the right.
  2. Right cheekbone being higher than the left.
  3. Left eye having a negtative Canthal tilt (probably because of 2.).
  4. Upper arch tilted more towards right.
  5. Lower lip tilted very slightly towards left (probably because of 1. and 4.)

I have an x-ray I took like a year ago and I illustrated my asymmetries in the below manner (excuse my poor sketching skills):

I think what contributed to the longer ramus on the left is chewing on the left for practically my whole life. As a solution I am now exclusively chewing on my right to try to balance the two sides out. I am not entirely sure if that is a good/recommended idea, though.

As for my history with orthodontics, I had an overbite, got fixed with four extractions, braces and elastics which straightened my teeth but gave me a massive gummy smile with an asymmetric smile and upper arch.

I’m afraid only surgery can address this 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2020 12:00 am
max iller
Eminent Member

@sergio-oms

whoa settle down I don't think surgery is the only way man.

give this site a read @Azrael it might give you a deeper understanding of asymmetry 
https://tmdocclusion.com/

Living a more symmetrical life will in the long run help with crookedness, maybe biasing your chewing on the less developed side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2020 3:07 am
Azrael liked
Elwynn
Estimable Member

Personally, I think it's at least feasible that an improvement in posture could lessen this asymmetry given enough time. Unless your asymmetry is causing health problems, I don't think there's any need to rush to surgery. I mean, if you have the money, you can go to a surgeon at any point, so why not try the less-costly, less-intense option first?

What is crucial in addressing symmetry is developing acute body awareness. Practice being keenly aware of any imbalances in your posture and any preferences you may have in regard to what side you sleep on, what side of the mouth you chew on, etc. Then, work to resolve those habits.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2020 4:36 pm
Azrael liked
Azrael
Trusted Member
Posted by: @elwynn

Personally, I think it's at least feasible that an improvement in posture could lessen this asymmetry given enough time. Unless your asymmetry is causing health problems, I don't think there's any need to rush to surgery. I mean, if you have the money, you can go to a surgeon at any point, so why not try the less-costly, less-intense option first?

What is crucial in addressing symmetry is developing acute body awareness. Practice being keenly aware of any imbalances in your posture and any preferences you may have in regard to what side you sleep on, what side of the mouth you chew on, etc. Then, work to resolve those habits.

Yeah, I have a forward neck, rounded shoulders and an anterior pelvic tilt I'm currently trying to improve by chin tucking, sitting and standing properly without slouching, sleeping on my back etc.

I used to chew on the left exclusively and now I've switched to the right because of the asymmetries. Do you think this will have a positive effect on correcting the ramus and gonial angle asymmetries?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/02/2020 4:05 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@azrael

Do you think this will have a positive effect on correcting the ramus and gonial angle asymmetries?

In theory, it should. But the treatments we discuss here are largely experimental, and so there are no guarantees. Still, I think that you're on the right track.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/02/2020 1:59 pm
Azrael liked
MaxillaMarch

This is a post I wanted to make but instead I will post it here:

I’ve been lurking the photos of other users recently and noticed that we have all the same pattern of asymmetry, but more or less severe:

- One side of the jaw is longer than the other. The same side has a higher cheek and a more visible ear. Philtrum is longer and the nose is pointing to the opposite side.

- The opposite side is overall shorter and more compressed. The eye is droopy. Head is turned towards that side (= ear less visible on that side).

Examples:

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/is-mewing-real-with-pictures/#post-19108

https://imgur.com/a/gZFIVhj

My first assumption is that we prefer the narrower arch to chew on. That’s how it starts.

-> Right now, I am chewing on the longer side more. I hope that it will balance out.

-> Stretching would be a possibility

-> Long term I consider Alf and myofunctional therapy (after fixing the posture below)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2020 6:25 pm
Azrael liked