Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Healthy wisdom teeth extractions.  

RSS
Ordinary

Hi,

My ortho (apparently one of the best in region) wants to fix my edge to edge bite (incisors are touching) with regular braces which I could agree on, BUT... she said I have to get all 4 wisdom teeth removed as there's crowding.

The best part is my all teeth are straight and x-rays have shown wisdom teeth aren't impacted, they're fully erupted and perfectly straight just like all the other teeth. There haven't been a single black spot on them since age of 19 (I'm 27 now), basically the healthiest teeth out of all, oh irony .To be honest I am afraid that my jaws will collapse if they get extracted. Also we all know how much orthos love pulling those teeth out because of easy money. How should I approach this situation?

Posted : 21/06/2020 2:40 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Your wisdom teeth are the columns that support a healthy less painful life. When you get your wisdom teeth removed, they will later have to retract both sets of teeth and your jaws along with it using railroads. Just find something that doesn't compromise your face and health. For the love of good, bite down on a branch and pull it, if you have to. I'm kiddin' there, that will be worse for you.

Check out this Youtuber by the name of ccarrieb. She has documented her experience of wisdom tooth extraction with retractive braces. She has touched every health complication you need to know and also cosmetic aspects.

Just do not pull your wisdom teeth, please.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2020 10:57 pm
Ordinary

Here's the cast of both arches. The lower arch is "narrowish" but I don't understand why they want to extract the wisdom teeth to widen it. Upper arch doesn't look abd as well, am I right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2020 5:46 am
ForTheFuture

Keep in mind most orthodontists have zero knowledge and zero regard for facial structure. If you want perfectly straight teeth, I'm sure her option is good and she knows what she's talking about.

But, keep in mind she has zero understanding of the bone loss and facial structure changes that come after extractions, and that the bite and straightness of your teeth in a vacuum are her only concerns.

Palatal expansion is far superior for expanding the upper jaw to fix crowding, although a bit invasive. The best options are palatal expanders or MSE, the latter being better if it does its job, and as Ronald Eads case has shown in can give true skeletal expansion even in adults. But the risk is high and it could tip, uproot and impact your  teeth if it doesn't manage to split the suture.

The lower jaw is much harder to expand due to it not having a suture, but this is about the incisors.

Personally if I had space for all my teeth and no serious health complications I'd not go for the extractions. I've maintained my bite and palatal width for almost 2 years now without using my retainer, so as long as you have proper lip seal, posture and oral posture you should be able to maintain these arches without health complications.

In the end it's up to you but I wouldn't do it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2020 4:42 am
bentspoon

If you research a dentist called Dwight Jennings DDS, he advocates for 'fair arc' bite patterns. And he says most fair arcs end in a edge to edge bite, this correlates with most ancient skulls we find. Check it out and see if it makes sense to you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2020 5:40 am
Ordinary

Thanks for the answers guys. I definitely don't want to extract them. The point is there's literally nobody in my region who offers MSE. Should I talk to her about other expansion methods? Also IMW in the pic above is 40mm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 5:59 pm
bentspoon

@ordinary Within reason I'd travel to someone who does it if you want to get rid of the crowding, I wouldn't worry too much about the edge to edge unless you feel uncomfortable. If your aim is to bite something in two is there really a better way than "><" ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2020 6:27 am
Ordinary

@bentspoon

Teeth grinding and ugly smile is why I want it. In a couple of years my incisors will disappear 🙂 , they're already shorter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2020 6:31 am
bentspoon

@ordinary

M. Mew say the tongue is the antagonist of the clenching muscles so perhaps you can gain from tongue chewing. If you don't have access to the falim gum everyone's talking about you can sip cold water or dunk the gum in the water for firmness. And if you have a lot of crowding perhaps the myobrace is a good fit for you, if you search the forum there's threads that go in depth on this site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 5:51 am