Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Having teeth In contact for recessed jaw.

LACHRIS
  • So if I’ve never had teeth in contact could that correct my downswung jaw 
Topic starter Posted : 29/01/2020 11:11 am
Topic Tags
Elwynn
Estimable Member

I'm in the same boat. I was a mouth-breather growing up, and throughout most of the day, I had my mouth open. It was very difficult for me to keep my jaws together when I first started mewing, but it got much easier over time. There are some users here who are skeptical of keeping teeth in contact, but in my experience, it is what feels most like "what my oral posture should naturally be". I would caution against clenching, however. The trick is to keep the teeth together NOT with force, but through a balanced resting position, with a good tongue suction hold, and lip seal (at least, that's what works in my case). It may be the case that you will need to use some light force initially, to build up your muscles, but ideally, keeping your jaw closed should not require force - so, aim towards that. And again, avoid clenching.

Good luck.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2020 12:00 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@elwynn

Exactly. For me, I am unable to keep them together without clenching.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2020 12:20 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@elwynn when you say "lip seal" do you also mean "lip suction" as in you're gently sucking your lips against your teeth?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2020 4:50 pm