Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Has anyone with a torus palatinus expanded their palate without an appliance?  

RSS
Silver
(@silver)
Eminent Member

I stopped trying to mew because I'm pretty sure I can't expand my palate to actually apply the correct force vectors to grow my maxilla forward 🙁 I think I was previously just rotating it one way or the other.

Is mewing possible for those of us with the cursed fused transverse palatine suture?

Also! I think everyone on this forum would find this interesting:  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47631835_On_the_Etiology_and_Significance_of_Palatal_and_Mandibular_Tori  

EDIT: Still no idea about tori, but the reason I was merely rotating my maxilla was because I had a tongue tie. Get your tongue tie lasered! 5 min painless procedure and the benefits I got from that alone were incredible.

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Silver
Posted : 16/05/2018 12:55 am
Skull
(@skull)
Trusted Member

There's only one way to find out I guess, try it. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 2:29 am
Apollo
(@apollo)
Reputable Member

I was encouraged by your previous thread reporting a reduction in your torus palatinus (  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/as-my-face-has-improved-i-can-feel-and-see-that-my-torus-palatinus-has-decreased/ ), so I'm sorry to hear that you now don't think it has changed. I submitted a question to Dr. Mew on this topic in the last Q/A.

Posted by: Apollo

Does a torus palatinus and/or buccal exostoses have any impact on adult palate expansion? Is it still possible to separate the midpalatal suture with a torus palatinus? Will palate expansion reduce the prominence of either a torus palatinus or buccal exostoses?

I've increased my intermolar width by 4mm using a removable palate expander. In a recent summary of my progress, I reported little change in the appearance of the torus itself but maybe less prominence because the rest of the roof of my mouth might have flattened out a little closer to the level of the torus.

Posted by: Apollo

I think my torus palatinus looks about the same, but maybe the roof of my mouth around the torus has flattened out slightly closer to its level.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 3:41 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Silver

I stopped trying to mew because I'm pretty sure I can't expand my palate to actually apply the correct force vectors to grow my maxilla forward 🙁 I think I was previously just rotating it one way or the other.

Is mewing possible for those of us with the cursed fused transverse palatine suture?

Also! I think everyone on this forum would find this interesting:  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47631835_On_the_Etiology_and_Significance_of_Palatal_and_Mandibular_Tori  

You've managed rotation? See that's what I want. My palate width is fine in and of itself. What besides mewing do you do? I know that's off topic but pm me if you want

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 4:12 pm
Allixa
(@allixa)
Estimable Member

I'm trying to do that right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 4:17 pm
elevee
(@elevee)
Trusted Member

Yes, I am having luck with this. I only just figured it out a week or two ago, but the results are happening really quickly.

The trick seems to be, to form suction (not really pressure) on the hard palate and then slowly slide the tongue *backward* until it starts to engage the soft palate. It's exactly the motion you would use to hawk a loogie (and in fact you do bring up loogies; I am not a congested person and I was stunned by what happened when I began to be able to apply pressure to the soft palate.) Anyway, increase the pressure until you start to constrict your airway loogie-style, then ease off just enough to breathe comfortably.

You do need to have good head posture and the chin tucked in order to do this well. My sister, who has a very forward head posture to deal with, is using gravity by laying flat on the floor to get to know the feeling.

But here is the exciting part. I've been working on head and tongue posture for almost a year and seen some good things happen--my knees straightened, my chest is wider, and the crooked outswing of one foot when walking has disappeared. Neato. But my palate continued to narrow (I had braces with no extractions, beautiful straight teeth and a decently wide palate at one time, but orthodontic relapse was speeded by periodontal disease related to 10-12 years of no dental care. Floss and see your dentist, everybody.)  and the crowding of my teeth was very noticeable. But after just a few days of moving the tongue back behind the torus, I started to see change.

About four days in, I got that mobile, tingly feeling that's familiar if you have ever had braces. My front teeth were shifting. They stabilized, and a week later shifted again. Paper impressions suggested that my intermolar width has increased more than five millimeters in just a couple of weeks. Maybe it's easier because my issue is mostly orthodontic relapse? But this is pretty exciting. See if you can move your tongue way back to make that snorky sound, hold the feeling, and see if it makes a difference.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2019 8:00 pm
Silver
(@silver)
Eminent Member
Posted by: elevee

Yes, I am having luck with this. I only just figured it out a week or two ago, but the results are happening really quickly.

The trick seems to be, to form suction (not really pressure) on the hard palate and then slowly slide the tongue *backward* until it starts to engage the soft palate. It's exactly the motion you would use to hawk a loogie (and in fact you do bring up loogies; I am not a congested person and I was stunned by what happened when I began to be able to apply pressure to the soft palate.) Anyway, increase the pressure until you start to constrict your airway loogie-style, then ease off just enough to breathe comfortably.

You do need to have good head posture and the chin tucked in order to do this well. My sister, who has a very forward head posture to deal with, is using gravity by laying flat on the floor to get to know the feeling.

But here is the exciting part. I've been working on head and tongue posture for almost a year and seen some good things happen--my knees straightened, my chest is wider, and the crooked outswing of one foot when walking has disappeared. Neato. But my palate continued to narrow (I had braces with no extractions, beautiful straight teeth and a decently wide palate at one time, but orthodontic relapse was speeded by periodontal disease related to 10-12 years of no dental care. Floss and see your dentist, everybody.)  and the crowding of my teeth was very noticeable. But after just a few days of moving the tongue back behind the torus, I started to see change.

About four days in, I got that mobile, tingly feeling that's familiar if you have ever had braces. My front teeth were shifting. They stabilized, and a week later shifted again. Paper impressions suggested that my intermolar width has increased more than five millimeters in just a couple of weeks. Maybe it's easier because my issue is mostly orthodontic relapse? But this is pretty exciting. See if you can move your tongue way back to make that snorky sound, hold the feeling, and see if it makes a difference.

I've already figured out the exact same thing on my own! I've gotten absolutely incredible results and my palate has widened a lot, and it seems like the torus is still there, but maybe a little flatter. Haven't made a thread about it because I kind of blew up my credibility with the first handful of threads I made on the forum and I don't want to put my likeness on the internet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 1:10 am
elevee
(@elevee)
Trusted Member

Awesome! I have seen an increasing amount of discussion on this forum since I started lurking about the importance of the chin tuck and soft palate pressure to effectiveness, so it seems like many people are intuiting the same thing. But to see the results in your own body is so incredible. Congratulations.

I haven't started taking pictures yet either, and I def. understand ambivalence about putting your face on the internet. God bless the person who suggested taking regular paper impressions. I use damp watercolor paper, which takes a nice clear impression and holds it well. I wonder if it would work to rub the teeth with a little food coloring to make it more visible?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 6:08 am
Phrae
(@phrae)

@elevee

Are you saying to do that as opposed to maintain the full tongue there? It seems that pushing the facial bone is an independent event from training the tongue to be at it's proper place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2019 8:01 am
elevee
(@elevee)
Trusted Member

I'm not totally sure I understand the question, but I think the answer is no. My whole tongue is pasted gently to the roof of my mouth.

As far as I can tell the key to working with the torus is to keep the tongue relaxed and think "suction", not "push". When I thought to myself, Push the tongue to the roof of the mouth, I just bruised the torus unpleasantly and got very sad. A soft tongue, the idea of keeping the tongue up with suction, and moving the whole operation back behind the torus seems to allow the tongue to mold around it, rather than banging on it like a nail half in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2019 8:14 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register