Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Has anyone changed their sleeping to better facilitate mewing? E.g. floor sleeping, no pillow  

RSS
Arkey

I've been in the process of revising how I sleep in order to help with my posture. I've read from a number of members that half the battle of mewing is getting to a point where your body mews automatically, and remembers to do so when asleep. This meaning that one mews 24 hours a day rather than 12, and therefore makes substantially faster progress.

Mew himself suggests floor sleeping without a pillow, and there's a theory that sleeping on the floor without a pillow for two years was a contributing factor to Brad Pitt's great posture and facial structure.

I have now been sleeping without a pillow for two weeks, and have made attempts to floor sleep, but damn, its uncomfortable. When I sleep on the floor I can definitely feel my body easing out into its proper form, I feel little cracks and pops, and I feel very relaxed. However, I find it really hard to sleep the whole night in that position.

I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with the process of sleeping on the floor, and whether they understand how it goes. Is there anything that helps to facilitate getting more comfy on the floor.

- Mewing for 6+ months
- IMW: 35mm (no expansion)
- Sleep on the floor without a pillow
- Tape mouth at night
- Continue to emphasise chin-tuck/occipital drive for extended periods
- Chew Mastic Tears for 1 hour every other day

Posted : 05/12/2018 9:18 am
Topic Tags
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Moving to floor sleeping right away, is too hard as you noticed. Try to transition to that point in steps instead. I, for example, stopped sleeping on my mattress and replaced it with a natural latex mattress topper.

It's only 4cm thick. You can place it directly on the floor or for better hygiene and practicality place it on a raised hard surface. I made two solid wood frames that insert into my bed inner space to provide the same floor support with the raised bed benefits.

Once I am fully used to this I might transition to removing the pillow and then maybe the topper.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 9:30 am
TGW liked
Arkey

@Abdulrahman

Yeah, I think I might have to give in to using the pillow for a while at least!

Have you noticed any substantial differences upon changing your sleeping habits in relation to posture, mewing or facial form?

- Mewing for 6+ months
- IMW: 35mm (no expansion)
- Sleep on the floor without a pillow
- Tape mouth at night
- Continue to emphasise chin-tuck/occipital drive for extended periods
- Chew Mastic Tears for 1 hour every other day

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 11:19 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

I noticed incremental changes to my body posture that mount to something substantial, but it's not all due to sleeping position.

When I started semi hard surface sleeping, I noticed my back was being flattened. Some ribs felt tight. Overtime everything sorted itself out and I was hunching forward less. 

Soon after, I started sleeping on a slim pillow but that proved too early as I was getting tension in my suboccipital area. So I had to move to a medium pillow. Later I was able to incorporate a slim pillow without issues, though I didn't see a noticeable change there.

Now I am sleeping without a pillow under my knees. My pelvis has become flexible enough to accommodate flat sleeping and I am seeing results. I wake up more straight. Hunching forward feels very unnatural. 

Key to moving to every next step is stretching, especially right before going to bed.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/12/2018 10:18 pm
ghoskiller1
Posted by: Arkey

I've been in the process of revising how I sleep in order to help with my posture. I've read from a number of members that half the battle of mewing is getting to a point where your body mews automatically, and remembers to do so when asleep. This meaning that one mews 24 hours a day rather than 12, and therefore makes substantially faster progress.

Mew himself suggests floor sleeping without a pillow, and there's a theory that sleeping on the floor without a pillow for two years was a contributing factor to Brad Pitt's great posture and facial structure.

I have now been sleeping without a pillow for two weeks, and have made attempts to floor sleep, but damn, its uncomfortable. When I sleep on the floor I can definitely feel my body easing out into its proper form, I feel little cracks and pops, and I feel very relaxed. However, I find it really hard to sleep the whole night in that position.

I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with the process of sleeping on the floor, and whether they understand how it goes. Is there anything that helps to facilitate getting more comfy on the floor.

Hey there! I had critical health problems with my back (scoliosis). And I strongly recommend such a method as sleeping on the floor. Here is a good article with useful tips for this topic ( https://sleepmentor.net/benefits-of-sleeping-on-the-floor/ )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2019 5:15 am
ForTheFuture

I've been floor sleeping for a while. I've slept without a pillow for many years. As mentioned, easing into it is a good idea if it's too hard in the beginning. I also think a thin blanket or something to provide just a tiny layer between the ground and your pelvis is good. My pelvis gets fairly sore at least, but this also seems related to the position I put it in.

As Abdulrahman mentioned I also think it is quite important to somehow find a way to sleep on a hard surface, but also be elevated from the floor. That way, you don't get any dust in your lungs, which can make you develop a dust allergy, stuffy and congested nose, etc etc. In short, dust is terrible to get in your airways if you want to be able to nasally breathe at night (Which of course you do, to ensure a good nights sleep and retaining your mewing progress)

If you can sort out congestions caused by dust, I think floor sleeping has plenty of benefits. Better spine alignment, better support for the back so you can take deeper breaths (I notice this at least when compared to lying in a soft bed), better posture, better neck posture too. It's very good for the body overall, the only real issue is dust and discomfort, but discomfort gets better with time, and dust you can do something about.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2019 12:34 pm
fistashkins

Because no pillow is a pretty serious thing, I'd first suggest starting slowly. Down your pillow size by 20% each week, to eventually go to no pillow at week 5. From week 5 on it's really important to stay hydrated, drink a lot of water. I would also inform your friends, family, and doctor that you are on no pillow, to keep an eye on you.

No pillow really did wonders for me. I got a new job, got new friends, and even got a girlfriend now.
My gains in the gym are insane, everyone asks if I'm on steroids.

I like to drink juice!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2019 12:13 am
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

I've been sleeping mostly on my back for a few months now and it's been good, I'd say.

More recently (1 month ago), I implemented another change in regards to my sleep, and that is to sleep without a pillow. First 2 weeks, I remember waking up with a stiff neck since doing this, now I'm good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2019 3:23 am
Yegor_L
Eminent Member

Personally, I tend to stack two pillows and sleep on my back in order to simulate a mckenzie chin tuck in my sleep.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2019 6:23 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member
Posted by: Yegor_L

Personally, I tend to stack two pillows and sleep on my back in order to simulate a mckenzie chin tuck in my sleep.

but you're tho. if you think about it that is about the same thing as as a slouched forward back and forward head posture. 

rather sleep on your side than do that tbh

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2019 7:59 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Yes, 

i sleep on my back bacause I breath better and because I think I can Mew during sleep now.

I used to lay on the belly and I guess It deviates my nose septum making my breathing more difficult causing me to wake up

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2019 8:40 am
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member
Posted by: Yegor_L

🤣 🤣 That's not a chin tuck if your neck is not completely aligned horizontally.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2019 10:07 am
bergamot liked
jimbobape

I've done both nopillow and nobed with great results. I currently am only doing nopillow waiting for my futon to arrive 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2019 3:28 am
bergamot

Yes, I sleep with a very thin pillow now. Sometimes I sleep without a pillow at all; it depends on how I'm feeling. And I sleep chin tucked as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 2:10 pm
thomasthane
Posted by: bergamot

Yes, I sleep with a very thin pillow now. Sometimes I sleep without a pillow at all; it depends on how I'm feeling. And I sleep chin tucked as well.

I did no mattress when my back hurt and honestly never got better sleep in my life, also it fixed my back. Never tried no pillow but it's worth a shot. As for now, I use a thinnest pillow I could find, I hope it counts. 
upd: two nights without a pillow, I'm on my way to improvement. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2019 2:09 am
justdoit

I've been sleeping without a pillow for several years now. Before I knew about orthotropics at all, I still felt better without a pillow than with one, because I found that I'd tuck my arm under the pillow, raising my head excessively. Without the pillow, I just use my arm to support my head when on my side, and when I roll on my back, there's no need for head support.

I made the move from mattress to a much harder surface (no-formaldehyde/PureBond plywood with a thin blanket as padding) about three months ago, and I feel much better. I can only go to sleep on my side but I frequently wake up on my back now which is great. According to Mike Mew, the best thing to do when sleeping is to move around, not stay in one configuration.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2019 3:04 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member
Posted by: justdoit

I've been sleeping without a pillow for several years now. Before I knew about orthotropics at all, I still felt better without a pillow than with one, because I found that I'd tuck my arm under the pillow, raising my head excessively. Without the pillow, I just use my arm to support my head when on my side, and when I roll on my back, there's no need for head support.

I made the move from mattress to a much harder surface (no-formaldehyde/PureBond plywood with a thin blanket as padding) about three months ago, and I feel much better. I can only go to sleep on my side but I frequently wake up on my back now which is great. According to Mike Mew, the best thing to do when sleeping is to move around, not stay in one configuration.

@justdoit Could you elaborate on how sleeping on a harder surface with no pillow helped you? Im considering just sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag and no pillow. Im just afraid that nasal congestion from the dust on the floor might be an issue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2019 5:06 am
ToothMan246

I wish my throat wouldn't clog up when I on my back without a pillow. It opens when protruding my lower jaw though. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2019 5:52 am
justdoit

@Pame For me, the major difference is that when sleeping on a mattress, my body seems to "sink into" the mattress more than my neck does, thus essentially creating a forward head posture. The hard-surface on the other hand is very conducive to straight-line posture with chin tuck. I created an illustration for this (green is hard surface, red is on mattress):

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2019 2:11 pm
evanssophiya
Posted by: @ghoskiller1
Posted by: Arkey

Hey there! I had critical health problems with my back (scoliosis). And I strongly recommend such a method as sleeping on the floor. Here is a good article with useful tips for this topic ( https://www.talkaboutsleep.com/best-orthopedic-pillow/ )

Hello everyone! I also had critical health problems with my back. I visited a lot of different really good doctors and had different types of therapy;

massage
wear a corset
special exercise

And about half of the year, I slept on the floor without a pillow.  And I had a pain every morning, there wasn't a noticeable good result. 

I was tired of daily pain and went to another doctor who advised me to buy a high-quality orthopedic pillow. He said that on orthopedic pillows in a dream, the body is constantly in the right shape, which positively affects the health of the back, neck, and  FACE. On the same day, I chose the best among all the reviews on the Internet and bought it. A year later, I had back pain (of course, there were additional procedures), my neck straightened, my chin also took the right shape.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2019 5:16 am
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

Floor sleeping is awesome. If I wasn't so scared of roaches (like every few months I'll see one scutter across the floor and that's enough to put me off), I'd do it all the time. I'll never forget staying at a friend's house in Edinburgh one night and there was nowhere to sleep but the floor, not even a pillow. I lay down on my back and woke up exactly that way 8 hours later feeling like I'd had the best sleep of my life. 

I've slept without a pillow for some time now. I'll never go back. If I try to sleep on my back with a pillow, I'll change positions during the night and wake up on my side. Without a pillow, I fall asleep on my back and wake up that way. I would advise you to experiment a little with head position. You can do a sort of McKenzie tuck where the back of your head moves further behind you, and your neck sort of stretches into a straighter position (i.e. smaller gap between curve of neck and mattress). This is the position I sleep in and it works for me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 1:11 am
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register