fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Has anybody experienced the same with MSE?

serbian

About 10 days after my MSE was installed (no screws), I started feeling a slight pain, which I though it was due the suture being split. But as I activated it another time and the pain got worse, I looked to my palate at the mirror and saw that the appliance was shoving into the gum. I couldn't feel the connection of the base with the right wires if I touched it with my fingers. It were two days of intense pain until I went to see my orthodontist today. He said the appliance was expanding faster than my bones (I was doing only 1 turn per day), then started doing reverse turns to bring the molars together again. It finished up that he had to remove the appliance because it was so deeply shoved into my gum that new tissue was starting to grow over the metallic wires. He said he'll wait a few days to see how he'll proceed with my case, but I'm yet very disappointed because pretty much of my achievements was lost.

Is this a signal MSE won't succeed for me? Could the appliance have been moved up due tongue pressure?

Topic starter Posted : 07/06/2021 4:52 pm
Topic Tags
Apollo
Reputable Member

That's tissue impingement. Do you have a picture of what it looked like? Was it the arms or the stabilizing bars of the MSE framework that pressed into your palate? It's possible that the appliance wasn't fabricated with enough space between the arms and the alveolar ridges, or that it wasn't installed with the proper position and clearance. If your palate is very narrow, they will sometimes grind down the stabilizing bars at an angle to fit up into the vault better. You could also use a smaller MSE (i.e. the 8mm or 10mm appliance if you had the 12mm), but that limits your total expansion potential.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2021 5:00 pm
serbian

@apollo Hi, thanks for answering. It was both the bars and the back of the framework that pressed into my palate, on the left side only. I also perceived that the appliance was moved up since I put it. Based on what you said, should I ask my orthodontist to try another appliance if he decide to stop the treatment? I'm meeting with him tomorrow and the scars are almost healed.

And I didn't take any photos unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/06/2021 3:21 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

So you think that back left TAD was shifting? Maybe it didn't have stable insertion. I don't know what to do in your case, especially without seeing it. I don't think they can bend those arms or adjust it once it's already in the mouth. If they want to replace the whole MSE, they would have to refabricate it with a slightly different position because you can't put new TADs in the same place you took old TADs out without waiting for the bone to heal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2021 3:57 pm