Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Getting the posterior third up pushes the mandible back  

RSS
cobreh

Hi,

when I get the posterior third of my tongue up, my mandible gets pushed back.

I have an overbite + deep bite and have been jutting my lower jaw forward since I was 12yrs old or so and before starting to mew it was just my normal position (except when chewing of course).

Unfortunately getting the posterior of my tongue up pushes the mandible back as far as possible, whichs makes me look much worse. That would be ok, because I could simply only mew when I'm alone, but I fear that keeping the mandible in this far back position could have a negative impact. It just feels extremely bad.

When starting with tongue posture it's hard to keep it while pushing the mandible forward.

When starting with pushing the mandible a bit forward (into a position that looks more natural) there's not nearly enough space for my tongue. I think I have long tongue (can put it in my nostrils lol). This is the way I will continue to mew from now on.

I'm wondering, if I maybe just choke on my tongue too much (i.e. puling it back too much).

I think when I try to get the posterior third up, my mandible gets pulled further back then when making the "ng" sound. This is indicative of a wrong position (too far back), I guess.

Edit: just remembered that this could be indicative of a tongue tie, but mine doesn't look like it's problematic

Posted : 18/05/2019 3:39 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcI8CvoFxfQ

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2019 3:17 am
elevee
Trusted Member

My guess is that you're pulling your mandible back because your tongue isn't as mobile as it should be. It might be just poor awareness and control of the tongue rather than an physical restriction. Maybe try these exercises daily for a little while and see if your ability to control your tongue improves at all. https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-myofunctional-therapy-3015256

I also had a very hard time getting the posterior third up, despite what my dentist says is an unusually good range of motion in my tongue. I have overbite and deep bite like you, too. The way I learned how to do it, is to make a seal on the palate as far as I can, relax the tongue, and then suck gently to raise the back end. After a few weeks it became more natural as I became more familiar with the sensation of allowing the posterior third to rise and gained awareness of all the little muscular movements to make it happen.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2019 7:01 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Work your tongue more. This isn't ideal. In fact I can assure you it is user error. 

Jaw jutting only helps me with my posterior third touch. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2019 7:10 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@violetgrey6

I'm struggling with something similar too. My mandible should be positioned more forward, but when I jut it, my teeth align at the incisors, which is obviously not good. While in this position, I can keep my tongue up, but it requires much concentration (otherwise, my tongue just slides out and drops), and the suction hold is weak. If, however, I keep my mandible positioned backwards (where it naturally rests) with my molars aligned, keeping my tongue plastered to the palate is much easier, and its suction hold is much stronger. Furthermore, when I push-swallow in this position, I feel a natural inclination to bite backwards with my molars. I do not have to act on this inclination, but as of late I've been choosing to, because Progress' post regarding the masseter vs. temporal activation pattern has lead me to suspect that biting backwards may have some benefits for certain types of CFDs. I'm still not 100% convinced that it's the right approach, but I'm giving it a shot. Maybe it would be better to discuss this under that post rather than this one, but I'm wondering if anyone here has found that biting backwards benefits them.

For the record, I think that biting in all directions is necessary for healthy development, but from what I recall, I've always tended to bite either forwards or up-and-down, so it stands to reason that I may be deficient in the tendencies of biting backwards and side-to-side. Over the past year and a half, I've been focusing on biting as far forward as I could without pushing my bite too far, to align at the incisors. I did this thinking that it would result in forward-growth, but honestly, I don't think it has done much, except for maybe slightly worsening my incisor procline (which has been bad since I got orthodontic "treatment"). So, now, I'm trying something different. Our bodies are complex, with many interlinked parts, and many relationships between those parts and processes which we fully don't understand yet, so it may be that solutions aren't always as simple as "forward biting = forward growth". Perhaps sometimes, solutions appear counter-intuitive on the surface. I don't really know; just throwing this out there.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2020 5:25 pm