Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Getting my wisdom teeth removed, what should I expect?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
GenerationDoomer
(@generationdoomer)
Topic starter

So, I’ve tried for the past two years to save my wisdom teeth. First, I mewed. Then, I used palatal expanders both on my lower and upper jaw. While I now have much wider jaws and a much better face to match, my lower wisdom teeth are still impacted up against my second molars and my upper ones are pointing towards my cheeks.

It seems like a futile task to try and get them to come in straight, and I’m worried that the lower ones might destroy the other teeth in front of it, so I’ve got them scheduled to be removed in a month. It’s kinda depressing but I’ve grown to accept it at this point. At the very least, I still have all of my other teeth and my palatal expansion saved me from needing to get any premolars removed. 

I’ve read that wisdom teeth removal can cause negative changes, but I also wonder if it’s fear mongering and it’s not as important to have them as we think. Someone mentioned that having them removed if they’re not coming in correctly will not impact you if you already lack the growth for them to come in correctly. That’s definitely true with me.

I have always had relatively short and broad jaws with good cheekbones. Even before my wisdom teeth came in, that’s how my facial structure looked. But of course, now I’m worried that removing them would lead to negative changes. 

If saving my wisdom teeth were possible, I would do it. But I’ve already tried everything from mewing, chewing, palatal expansion, facepulling, and nothing really seems to be helping with the lower wisdom teeth. Of course, if nothing bad will happen except that I will be without 4 teeth, I’m ready to cut my losses and be happy that I still have all my other teeth. 

What do you think? Should I go ahead and yank the wisdom teeth?

Posted : 05/02/2022 6:38 pm
GenerationDoomer
(@generationdoomer)
Topic starter

My face is already kinda “recessed”, it doesn’t have much forward growth. I’ve never had much pain with them, but they’re impacted up against my molars. I’m worried that they might eventually break them as they try to erupt. 

I have an xray of them though, maybe it’s not as bad as I think but I’ve been told to get them pulled by multiple people.

Posted : 06/02/2022 8:02 pm
GenerationDoomer
(@generationdoomer)
Topic starter

My two year old x-ray. My top wisdom teeth erupted fine even though they’re pointing towards my cheeks, but my lower ones never did. They’re still stuck against my molars.

IMG 20200114 184608748

I’ve never had orthodontic treatment but I’m ready to get Invisalign done to expand my arches. No extractions besides wisdom teeth will be done. 

Posted : 06/02/2022 8:17 pm
GenerationDoomer
(@generationdoomer)
Topic starter

I think I’ve expanded my lower teeth about 5mm so far. It hasn’t done much at all to fix the lower wisdom teeth, they were still angulated the same against my molars the last time I went in for a visit. 

As much as I don’t want to pull them, I might have to because it’s been 2 years now and I don’t want them to destroy my other teeth. If I could afford it I would do MSDO to expand the lower jaw, but I don’t see how I could get anyone to agree with it for the sake of saving my wisdom teeth. 

If there’s anything else I could do to save them let me know. But it looks like I have to get them pulled in a month anyway, simply because of how they’re at a bad angle and a lack of room on my lower jaw.

Posted : 07/02/2022 10:06 pm
Help
 Help
(@sheeesh)

I agree with the sentiment that if your wisdom teeth are not coming in correctly there will not be much of an impact, I feel that the damage of removing wisdom teeth is only significant in those who have had them extracted when they shouldn’t have and it was not causing them any problems. The bone that extracted wisdom teeth sat in are absorbed by the body leading to smaller jaws, if your jaw is already too small to hold your wisdom teeth, taking them out shouldn’t have much of an impact as they were not sitting in much bone to begin with.

Posted : 27/03/2022 2:44 am

THE GREAT WORK