Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Getting deep bite from Mewing? Here’s why.  

RSS
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member

Dr. Mew is all about the tongue way back.   Mewing it in the back part of the mouth can cause a clockwise rotation of maxilla.  The issue with a deep bite is that the tongue isn’t far enough forward.  He says so himself.  Taking things to extremes and under no supervision is not recommended.

Posted : 06/03/2019 12:12 pm
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member

The other reason is because theory and practice don’t always sync.  Keeping teeth together isn’t the way to fix deep bite.  Widening tongue by applying pressure up is not the way to fix it, either.  As we age, deep bites become more pronounced.  Mewing created a deep bite for me and many others.  The more I listen to this guy, the less I can stand it.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2019 12:16 pm
Kolibri liked
Kolibri
(@kolibri)

@darkindigo #darkindigo

Idk how to tag u

I didnt rly start mewing yet but thank you now I realized I have deep bite, while my twin doesn't.

Like Mew said my nose is bigger = grows downwards and has a bump. My twin bro has perfect nose. Our chin is the same but his jawline is better and upper. 

Mew says I shouldn't keep my tongue just between my teeth (like night time braces made get used to that position sadly). Should I only mew forward then? But it always slips backwards, my bottom teeth is often in the way to mew forward.

What do you think I should do? How do you try to fix it? Did you stop experimenting?

Maybe this bite has something to do with the "barely started and already clicking" thing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2019 6:44 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

That could be true I remember reading about how brad pittt only really had his tongue on the front of his pallete. Ive also noticed it in Jake paul as well. Jake has a aligned bite even though his back of the tongue isnt up. I have a 40mm pallete but i stille have a deep bite so I believe it takes both things. First you must have a certain IMW to let you mandible go forward and number 2 you have to have the front of your upper arch expanded. I notice thats where im lacking i have good IMW but the front of my upper pallete isnt very expanded so my upper teeth trap my lower jaw back. Plus I had a tongue tie and thats the direction i had very poor ROM in I could put it up and back but I didnt reallly expand forward.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2019 11:24 pm
mr.mewing
(@mr-mewing)
Eminent Member

so you say that it shouldn't be all the way up to the soft palate

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 2:27 am
mr.mewing
(@mr-mewing)
Eminent Member

but the madible grows forwards by muscle density by the masseter muscles isn't it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 2:30 am
mr.mewing
(@mr-mewing)
Eminent Member
Posted by: darkindigo

The other reason is because theory and practice don’t always sync.  Keeping teeth together isn’t the way to fix deep bite.  Widening tongue by applying pressure up is not the way to fix it, either.  As we age, deep bites become more pronounced.  Mewing created a deep bite for me and many others.  The more I listen to this guy, the less I can stand it.

But why does everyone metion to keep the full tongue up to the palate instead of of just at the front ridges

And if you just keep good oral posture with some great hard chewing to get that under arch forwards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 4:15 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

everything is imporant but it seems having the tongue at the spot in the front pallete is very important and is needed to not have a deep bite. and yes @darkindigo your bite will get deeper until a certain point it gets worse before it gets better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 6:07 pm
Redbird
(@redbird)

So to correct a deep bite focus on the anterior third and keep the teeth apart?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 10:50 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

@redbird mewing can seem complicated but just focus on cheesy swallow until its natural for you. Look up mew push swallow for that. Then notice what direction of growht your missing on your pallete and focus on stretching and strengthining your tongue in that directions. for example i lack the front of the pallete growth and my tongue pushes weakly  in that direction its not used to it. So I have to push more in that direction. Best idea is just to stretch the tongue a lot and swallow good and youll make progress. just always keep the topngue supporting the pallete

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 4:19 am
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Kolibri

@darkindigo #darkindigo

Idk how to tag u

I didnt rly start mewing yet but thank you now I realized I have deep bite, while my twin doesn't.

Like Mew said my nose is bigger = grows downwards and has a bump. My twin bro has perfect nose. Our chin is the same but his jawline is better and upper. 

Mew says I shouldn't keep my tongue just between my teeth (like night time braces made get used to that position sadly). Should I only mew forward then? But it always slips backwards, my bottom teeth is often in the way to mew forward.

What do you think I should do? How do you try to fix it? Did you stop experimenting?

Maybe this bite has something to do with the "barely started and already clicking" thing.

I got deep bite from failed Mewing attempts.  I'm going to try to close it a few different ways (super scientific - lol!)...

First) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTYFWKR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FTYFWKR   I figure, since I'm on a budget and actually just saw this in a toy bin, I'd go for it!  It's kind of a cheap method... and I have high hopes that wearing this will work.  I want the primary pressure to be between my central incisors, so these may suit the bill.  The problem with aligners generally is that they are easy to misplace as they are transparent.  If mine falls out at night, I'll probably lose it.  However, with the glow-in-the-dark version it may be easier to find?

Second) Stick tongue out a lot (straight out).

I'm wondering if this will actually work or just scare people?  I want to look beautiful, in all seriousness.

This post was modified 7 days ago by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 11:42 pm
Kolibri liked
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Kolibri

@darkindigo #darkindigo

Idk how to tag u

I got deep bite from failed Mewing attempts.  I'm going to try to close it 2 ways (super scientific - lol!)...

First) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTYFWKR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FTYFWKR   I figure, since I'm on a budget and actually just saw this in a toy bin, I'd go for it!  It's kind of a cheap method... and I have high hopes that wearing this will work.  I want the primary pressure to be between my central incisors, so these may suit the bill.  The problem with aligners generally is that they are easy to misplace as they are transparent.  If mine falls out at night, I'll probably lose it.  However, with the glow-in-the-dark version it may be easier to find?

Second) Stick tongue out a lot (straight out).

I'm wondering if this will actually work or just scare people?  I want to look beautiful, in all seriousness.

Quick update.  The Amazon product may come with a money-back guarantee, but not a teeth back guarantee.  It appears to have worsened my deep bite, as the plastic that is first to hit is just behind the canines.  Also, it didn't fit well, and it also rubbed against my teeth wrong and I got some cool blood to go with the appliance.  I will have to contact the suppliers and let them know to remove the FDA approved facility status.  Also, on second thought, my "aligner" was better, because apparently the glow-in-the dark additive is toxic after more than 3 minutes.  So, I hope this update catches you in time!  (This is for those who found it in the utility drawer).  Otherwise, there may be irreparable harm to you, your neighbors and the world.  Happy Halloween in 232 days.

I am learning ways to not fix a deep bite.   Thomas Edison would be proud!

1. Thumb sucking / tongue biting (figured it might help since tongue thrusting and thumb sucking or pacifier use can cause an anterior open bite).  At my age, all it did was hurt my teeth (they told me to quit being a baby).  More rightfully, their nerve endings told me that.  FAIL  (we're getting there!)
2. Dracula bite.  FAIL (worsened deep bite and made gums bleed... also my teeth were not in Class 1 and I feared it may lengthen my skin tissues or dry out my mouth).  I could not close my mouth, my bite was more class 3.  Possibly a good option for a MAD device in a pinch?  Like an unplanned Halloween sleepover party - where a sugar coma takes over, and you crash at your friend's among a heap of Kit Kat wrappers.  Speaking of Kit Kat bars, you could see where it's hitting...  See other post "kit kat".
3. Sticking out the tongue may make it grow forward.  Since Mewing can widen arches by going big and wide with the tongue, I figure why not fix close bite by making it long and forward?  Still undergoing human trials.  No conclusion.
4. Revisit plan 1 with Jawzercise.
5. Revisit plan 1 with vegetables.  Ew... not eat them, just bite them and spit them out.
6. Ask my little brother what he thinks.
7. Look up more Mewing videos.
8. Call 411.  Ask them.
9. Design my own appliance.
10-1997... not shown here for privacy/patent reasons.
1998. Get a free othodontic consult with a dentist.
1999. Get a free orthodontic consult from an orthodontist.
2000. Get several orthodontic consults from several orthodontists. (Probably go with the cheapest)

This post was modified 7 days ago 8 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 11:56 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member

Upper canines need to expand in order for a deep bite to go away. Upper incisors must also incline forward.

Take care of these things and your deep bite will lessen because of the counterclockwise rotation of the maxilla. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 10:56 am
Kolibri liked
AlphaMinus
(@alphaminus)
Trusted Member

Dr. Mew is all about the tongue way back.   Mewing it in the back part of the mouth can cause a clockwise rotation of maxilla.  The issue with a deep bite is that the tongue isn’t far enough forward.  He says so himself.  Taking things to extremes and under no supervision is not recommended.

You consistently mischaracterize things that Dr. Mew has said and it's unfair. Dr Mew is not "all about the tongue way back," he's very clear about what the tongue should be doing, and he says that it should be in contact with the palate from the tip all the way to the back. And he is very explicit about where the tip of the tongue should be, at the front of the palate in the 'n' position. With the tip of the tongue right here at the front where Dr. Mew says it should be, I fail to see how this could possibly be described as "too far back." 

Also, Mew has never said that proper tongue position involves the application of the kind of pressure required to make such negative changes in your mouth. He's never advocated "hard mewing" or any other variation of the correct tongue posture. With your tongue in a neutral position on the palate from front to back as Mew describes, you're not distributing any unwanted pressure anywhere. And indeed the correct tongue posture (not "hard mewing")  in adults will NOT move the maxilla. It just won't, and nobody's ever been able to demonstrate that it will. In fact the only difference I can see it ever making to the position or size of your maxilla is if the tip of the tongue has the same effect as the acrylic pad on the FAGGA device, i.e. pushing against the palatine nerve. Maybe you could achieve 2-3mm of forward growth from that? But rotating the maxilla through normal *correct* tongue posture as an adult? NOPE. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 5:29 pm
tumbandjumb
(@tumbandjumb)
Posted by: AlphaMinus

You consistently mischaracterize things that Dr. Mew has said and it's unfair. Dr Mew is not "all about the tongue way back," he's very clear about what the tongue should be doing, and he says that it should be in contact with the palate from the tip all the way to the back. And he is very explicit about where the tip of the tongue should be, at the front of the palate in the 'n' position. With the tip of the tongue right here at the front where Dr. Mew says it should be, I fail to see how this could possibly be described as "too far back." 

Also, Mew has never said that proper tongue position involves the application of the kind of pressure required to make such negative changes in your mouth. He's never advocated "hard mewing" or any other variation of the correct tongue posture. With your tongue in a neutral position on the palate from front to back as Mew describes, you're not distributing any unwanted pressure anywhere. And indeed the correct tongue posture (not "hard mewing")  in adults will NOT move the maxilla. It just won't, and nobody's ever been able to demonstrate that it will. In fact the only difference I can see it ever making to the position or size of your maxilla is if the tip of the tongue has the same effect as the acrylic pad on the FAGGA device, i.e. pushing against the palatine nerve. Maybe you could achieve 2-3mm of forward growth from that? But rotating the maxilla through normal *correct* tongue posture as an adult? NOPE. 

You definitely can. I've had dramatic change and its been under a year. People have been even commenting more (including my gf) about how I look (in a good way). I'm not even trying to brag, but just think about it... if you force your body to work the way it was wired to work, then you'd eventually get to the point where that is natural. Now how uncomfortable, and uneasy that is, I think it's person dependent. I will say this, I've put tremendous effort into fixing my habits (everything from oral posture and overall function) and I've noticed changes in my body and skull. I'm not denying that it won't work for everyone, but I'm about to be 26 and things are still changing over time as I adapt to the ideal I want to achieve. It's so slow, but overtime, with persistence, change has to happen, if it didn't you would defy biology and how things work. And to just throw this in, I'm a dental school student and I'm learning the traditional approach to dentistry and orthodontics and I'm also researching the other end to have a greater perspective. Also, alongside the notable physical changes, I can breath better and haven't needed my asthma inhaler in almost a year, if this wasn't related to underdeveloped airway passage that was altered over time, then I dunno how to explain it but I've needed an inhaler since I was 6-7 years old in grade school and I just got off it for the first time in my life and the only thing I've really changed this past year is habitual changes to my oral posture and function. 

I wrote this paragraph to share my positive experience from adopting proper habits so that other people can also benefit. I have nothing to gain from this, I just want to help because I thought for my entire life i was genetically off or something. It turned out poor orthodontics deformed throughout development and yeah that with improper oral posture for 24 years ends up with some pretty bad consequences. I've been persistent (some would call obsessed but I care about it a lot, it's important in every aspect of life even how people perceive you by how you stand), but it has been less than a year and I'm already benefiting, so in the end, given my perspective, I just don't think you're doing it right (whatever that may be, it could be A LOT).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 10:50 pm
AlphaMinus
(@alphaminus)
Trusted Member
Posted by: tumbandjumb

You definitely can. I've had dramatic change and its been under a year. People have been even commenting more (including my gf) about how I look (in a good way). I'm not even trying to brag, but just think about it... if you force your body to work the way it was wired to work, then you'd eventually get to the point where that is natural. Now how uncomfortable, and uneasy that is, I think it's person dependent. I will say this, I've put tremendous effort into fixing my habits (everything from oral posture and overall function) and I've noticed changes in my body and skull. I'm not denying that it won't work for everyone, but I'm about to be 26 and things are still changing over time as I adapt to the ideal I want to achieve. It's so slow, but overtime, with persistence, change has to happen, if it didn't you would defy biology and how things work. And to just throw this in, I'm a dental school student and I'm learning the traditional approach to dentistry and orthodontics and I'm also researching the other end to have a greater perspective. Also, alongside the notable physical changes, I can breath better and haven't needed my asthma inhaler in almost a year, if this wasn't related to underdeveloped airway passage that was altered over time, then I dunno how to explain it but I've needed an inhaler since I was 6-7 years old in grade school and I just got off it for the first time in my life and the only thing I've really changed this past year is habitual changes to my oral posture and function. 

I wrote this paragraph to share my positive experience from adopting proper habits so that other people can also benefit. I have nothing to gain from this, I just want to help because I thought for my entire life i was genetically off or something. It turned out poor orthodontics deformed throughout development and yeah that with improper oral posture for 24 years ends up with some pretty bad consequences. I've been persistent (some would call obsessed but I care about it a lot, it's important in every aspect of life even how people perceive you by how you stand), but it has been less than a year and I'm already benefiting, so in the end, given my perspective, I just don't think you're doing it right (whatever that may be, it could be A LOT).

It has to be said, that unless you have actual proof that you permanently moved your maxilla into a new position, it's far from clear that this actually happened. What I've seen from months of browsing this site and others is that people will swear blind that they've seen skeletal changes, but nothing ever pans out in the way of proof. Nobody posts infallible before/after photos which have the same lighting, angles and pose. Nobody offers any irrefutable x-ray proof. 

What I have seen, is that quite drastic changes can be made to one's appearance through exercise and good posture. Masseters become more pronounced. Posture changes how the jawline looks and improves health to the point where you can look more radiant, better circulation etc. But none of these things have anything to do with bones having moved. It's also worth pointing out that quite drastic changes can happen to your appearance between the ages of 20-40 without any intervention whatsoever. In my case, my face became far more muscular and "chiseled" looking from the ages of 25-30, and I had people commenting on that all the time. This was way before "mewing" was a thing. The fat redistributed in my face and my cheekbones started looking more prominent. My jawline became more prominent. As I've gotten into my 40's, things have changed even more. Cheekbones even more prominent, cheeks more hollow. Nothing has happened on the bone front. It's just that your face naturally changes because of the way the fat changes on your face. Many people start losing their "puppy fat" in their 20's and their face takes on a more chiseled appearance. This happens whether you mew or not. 

I don't doubt that you've had changes to your appearance, or that some of them are as a result of improved posture. What I would dispute - in the absence of any scientific or medical evidence - is that you moved your maxilla to a new position and it stayed there.

This post was modified 6 days ago by AlphaMinus
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2019 10:03 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

Lots of great points @AlphaMinus

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2019 1:33 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

@alphaminus I hear you that's definitely a part of it. I think the face does start to lose fat its like learning how to stand up straight the proper muscles start to get used properly.  But it still will change over time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2019 12:14 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

@eddiemoney its true my front teeth have proclined from my appliance. But theyre only proclining my front two teeth but not the teeth next to it which is still entrapping my mandible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2019 12:18 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Rockyp33

@eddiemoney its true my front teeth have proclined from my appliance. But theyre only proclining my front two teeth but not the teeth next to it which is still entrapping my mandible.

Canines must also expand for mandibular clockwise rotation (this is what opens the bite). Did your doc plan on doing this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2019 9:14 am
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member

That's fine.  BUT!  He doesn't say NOT to hard Mew when asked (according to interview notes of one of the few people who could get his time).  And, what you are saying was NOT evident from the MANY Youtube videos that I've watched from him where he speaks on posterior third.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2019 9:47 am
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member
Posted by: tumbandjumb

It has to be said, that unless you have actual proof that you permanently moved your maxilla into a new position, it's far from clear that this actually happened. What I've seen from months of browsing this site and others is that people will swear blind that they've seen skeletal changes, but nothing ever pans out in the way of proof. Nobody posts infallible before/after photos which have the same lighting, angles and pose. Nobody offers any irrefutable x-ray proof. 

What I have seen, is that quite drastic changes can be made to one's appearance through exercise and good posture. Masseters become more pronounced. Posture changes how the jawline looks and improves health to the point where you can look more radiant, better circulation etc. But none of these things have anything to do with bones having moved. It's also worth pointing out that quite drastic changes can happen to your appearance between the ages of 20-40 without any intervention whatsoever. In my case, my face became far more muscular and "chiseled" looking from the ages of 25-30, and I had people commenting on that all the time. This was way before "mewing" was a thing. The fat redistributed in my face and my cheekbones started looking more prominent. My jawline became more prominent. As I've gotten into my 40's, things have changed even more. Cheekbones even more prominent, cheeks more hollow. Nothing has happened on the bone front. It's just that your face naturally changes because of the way the fat changes on your face. Many people start losing their "puppy fat" in their 20's and their face takes on a more chiseled appearance. This happens whether you mew or not. 

I don't doubt that you've had changes to your appearance, or that some of them are as a result of improved posture. What I would dispute - in the absence of any scientific or medical evidence - is that you moved your maxilla to a new position and it stayed there.

Exercise and posture are better in my opinion, as well.  Also, pranayama.  The force on the maxilla to widen must be high compared to the light force from air that reshapes the palate through the type of nasal breathing done with Pranayama.  In my experience, the maxilla may be widened from below or from above.  From above, through air, is set off a series of innate biological processes.  These help to widen and/or drop palate without any orthodontics.  However, the mandible is still the limiting factor.  I will try to bring to light/market the #1 top fave mandible widening device.

This post was modified 4 days ago 2 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2019 9:50 am
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Rockyp33

Careful!  I hear it's hard to fix proclined teeth.  What device are you using?  An appliance should always have something to keep the front teeth from tipping out.... usually a bar to adjust.  I don't know much about that, though... be careful for root absorption, etc.  I might see an ortho with CBCT to check on things?  You're probably fine, but always good to double check - especially if they don't charge for CBCT.  Some may.

This post was modified 4 days ago by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2019 9:57 am
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Reputable Member

Mewing (in my experience)... only successfully moved forward the mandible by pushing the maxilla up.  I guess that's the point of the whole thing... but NOT what I was after.  My maxilla did not advance (actually retruded), so yeah... I have an open-bite and deep bite.  Anyway, I'm going to call that a fail.  Maybe I did it wrong?  I tried my best and I'm generally a very careful person.  I see many others who tried their best and end up needing surgery.  I feel for them.  Luckily, to fix the fallout from Mewing attempt, I "only" have to pay thousands of U.S. dollars.  I would like an apology from Dr. Mew, but he didn't even reply to the emails I'd sent regarding the concerns.  This is from the "cover my buddies" video.  Dr. Mew & son know what's going on.  They know people are getting hurt.  They've known it for years.

This post was modified 4 days ago 4 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2019 10:01 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register