Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Gap formed between lower front teeth (Possibly from mewing)  

RSS
ansenmus

I'm 30 years old and I tried mewing last couple of months and noticed a huge gap formed between my 2 lower front teeth. I'm not sure what caused this but this happened around the same time as mewing. Anyway, I stopped mewing just because I'm worried where this is leading.

Did anyone else experience this ?

Also, if I stop mewing does the gap close by itself ? Or do I need some special treatment to close the gap ?

I have attached couple of pics of my current status.

Posted : 29/03/2020 7:58 pm
ansenmus

Bump ! 

Anybody know if this is caused by mewing the wrong way ? Or experienced a similar issue ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2020 8:43 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

Mewing is on the roof of your mouth, so a gap between the top teeth would probably be from splitting the midpalatal suture and is a good thing. If you have a gap in your bottom teeth just from posturing your tongue, you're doing it completely wrong. The tongue should be on the upper palate without touching any teeth, not the bottom of your mouth. Any idea if you are touching your bottom teeth when doing this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2020 6:29 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

Have you had any sort of gap there before? I mean, did an existing gap just widen, or did this gap form in a region where there used to be no gap at all?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2020 10:02 pm
ansenmus
Posted by: @paperbag

Mewing is on the roof of your mouth, so a gap between the top teeth would probably be from splitting the midpalatal suture and is a good thing. If you have a gap in your bottom teeth just from posturing your tongue, you're doing it completely wrong. The tongue should be on the upper palate without touching any teeth, not the bottom of your mouth. Any idea if you are touching your bottom teeth when doing this?

I'm not touching any teeth at all. And the tongue is on the upper palate.That's why I'm so confused why I got a gap in my lower teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 4:56 am
ansenmus
Posted by: @elwynn

Have you had any sort of gap there before? I mean, did an existing gap just widen, or did this gap form in a region where there used to be no gap at all?

I didn't have a gap here before. It's been growing since I started mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 4:59 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Your gums look very weak, do they bleed sometimes?

Make sure to brush your teeth correctly and gently

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 5:06 am
ansenmus
Posted by: @kyte

Your gums look very weak, do they bleed sometimes?

Make sure to brush your teeth correctly and gently

Never had any bleeding. At least not that I remember of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 6:32 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Where is the tip of your tongue resting?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 2:03 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

This is the first time I'm seeing something like this. I would say improper technique but then it has to be impossibly incorrect since it has never been seen online anywhere.

Give us a description of your entire routine, please?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 5:07 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

Looks like you have periodontal disease.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2020 3:21 pm
EddieMoney and Kyte liked
ansenmus
Posted by: @eddiemoney

Where is the tip of your tongue resting?

It was on the roof of my palate. But off late as I tried to raise the posterior third of my tongue, the tip started just hanging towards the front. But it still doesn't touch the upper or the lower front teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 7:44 am
ansenmus
Posted by: @azrael

This is the first time I'm seeing something like this. I would say improper technique but then it has to be impossibly incorrect since it has never been seen online anywhere.

Give us a description of your entire routine, please?

Well, I mew quite frequently. Roughly a total of 2-3 hours per day. Maybe more is needed but I'm doing the best I can.

When I mew, I raise my tongue to my palate and I make sure I don't touch my upper front teeth. As far I know, I'm mewing the right way. Although, I would like to meet a professional and have them take a look at it and correct me if I'm doing it wrong.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 7:52 am
ansenmus
Posted by: @greensmoothies

I went to the dentist to check if this is the case. And they didn't have any such feedback. Also, I floss everyday and brush twice.

Can you give me some more info on why you think I have periodontal disease ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 7:56 am
ansenmus

So, I found this video of Dr. Mew's Q&A. He answers a question from Lagi at 30:20 mark. In his answer he mentions about forming gaps, but I hope he elaborates more on this. If the mewing procedure needs to be adjusted (or fixed) if we see gaps forming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMb5OHy2z_s

Can we forward such a request to him?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 9:03 am
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member
Posted by: @ansenmus

I went to the dentist to check if this is the case. And they didn't have any such feedback. Also, I floss everyday and brush twice.

Gingival recession. An infection might be behind this... you'll need to start with bite wing X-rays which include the teeth root tips in the image. Tell the dentist you need the X-rays to show the roots of the teeth because they don't always capture them in the images.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 6:51 pm
ansenmus

Gingival recession. An infection might be behind this... you'll need to start with bite wing X-rays which include the teeth root tips in the image. Tell the dentist you need the X-rays to show the roots of the teeth because they don't always capture them in the images.

I'll get it checked soon. 

But if it comes out to be gingival recession (due to Periodontal disease), do you know if that causes the gaps ? If yes, what can be done about it ?

(Just asking if you might have more info on these things).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2020 3:35 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

But if it comes out to be gingival recession (due to Periodontal disease), do you know if that causes the gaps ? If yes, what can be done about it ?

I'd get those bitewing xrays ASAP to help you start to determine the root cause with your dentist... in the meantime, if this was my situation, what I'd do is go on a paleo/keto diet, with fasting if possible. Eat raw garlic, ginger and turmeric with every meal. Salt rinses are gentle and effective. Pack the teeth and gums with baking soda. Wim Hof breathing can help oxygenate the tissues and blood.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2020 4:51 pm
ansenmus

I'd get those bitewing xrays ASAP to help you start to determine the root cause with your dentist... in the meantime, if this was my situation, what I'd do is go on a paleo/keto diet, with fasting if possible. Eat raw garlic, ginger and turmeric with every meal. Salt rinses are gentle and effective. Pack the teeth and gums with baking soda. Wim Hof breathing can help oxygenate the tissues and blood.

I actually do yoga, workout and generally stay fit. I'll try to add some of your suggestions to my regimen.

But would that close the gap ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2020 3:19 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

I actually do yoga, workout and generally stay fit. I'll try to add some of your suggestions to my regimen.

But would that close the gap ?

They're just some simple steps that may improve oral and gut health and potentially halt further damage, but unlikely to close the gap. You need your dentist's expert eyes on your correctly taken bitewings to start to determine what's going on... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/04/2020 4:43 pm
ansenmus liked
auxiliary
Estimable Member

If you do a lot of mewing, the muscle under your chin will grow, this can expand the lower palate. I'm talking about the genioglossus muscle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 8:09 pm
ansenmus
Posted by: @auxiliarus

If you do a lot of mewing, the muscle under your chin will grow, this can expand the lower palate. I'm talking about the genioglossus muscle.

Thanks for answering, but I have few questions about it.

1) Does this mean mewing was working as it should ?

2) Is the gap inevitable ? Or am I mewing in the wrong way ?

3) How can I close this gap ?

This maybe too much for you to answer. But just trying 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 4:17 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @auxiliarus

Thanks for answering, but I have few questions about it.

1) Does this mean mewing was working as it should ?

2) Is the gap inevitable ? Or am I mewing in the wrong way ?

3) How can I close this gap ?

This maybe too much for you to answer. But just trying 🙂

I don't think this gap is caused by the widening of that muscle, I just said that's one possible way mewing can widen the lower palate. I think chewing on front teeth can help you, it looks almost as if your teeth just want to fall out from their roots. I don't know if you'd be able to ever close that gap though, just try chewing on front teeth some hard mastic gum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2020 2:45 am
TheBeastPanda
Eminent Member

@auxiliarus i have a question for you would you recommend chewing on the incisors for better cheekbones and a browridge. I have seen people recommend this, but aren't the incisors only used for biting and tearing and the molars for mastication.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2020 10:33 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @thebeastpanda

@auxiliarus i have a question for you would you recommend chewing on the incisors for better cheekbones and a browridge. I have seen people recommend this, but aren't the incisors only used for biting and tearing and the molars for mastication.

Define better cheekbones and brow ridge? Typically a "good" brow ridge look is achieved when the eyes are set deep into the head, which is caused my whole mid-face rotating counter-clockwise. Typically a "good" cheekbone look is achieved by many factors :

• Palate more forward relative to the cheekbones, which is achieved by either CCW maxilla rotation or actual absolute forward movement of the lower maxilla forward relative to the upper maxilla.
  • Strong bone growth(Age, healthy lifestyle, good genes).
  • Low body-fat(If your lower ab fat is thicker than upper ab or if you even have a bit of love handles don't expect to look lean in the face).
  • Diet probably has some effect on where fat gets stored.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2020 1:28 pm
TheBeastPanda
Eminent Member

@auxiliarus basically browridge that gives me hooding. Model-esuqe and nice prominent cheekbones like Johnny Depp or Alain Delon. Also How can I achieve these features. You sound very knowledgable do you have discord, snapchat, or any social media.

--

@auxiliarus wow can i achieve ccw rotation of the maxila and/or absolue forward growth of the maxila.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2020 4:31 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @thebeastpanda

@auxiliarus wow can i achieve ccw rotation of the maxila and/or absolue forward growth of the maxila.

Yes, I think I already told you how. Don't obsess over it, just do it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2020 5:11 am
Mars321

@auxiliarus this is refreshing to hear, although I have never heard before. The fact that mewing can work a muscle under the mandible which can therefore widen the mandible sideways. This is definitely something I can use if true. Why is it never talked about as a remedy for achieving mandible width in the context of mewing ? Are you able to cite any research ?

As you can see, I would love what has happened to you, to happen to me @ansenmus

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2020 6:18 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @mars321

@auxiliarus this is refreshing to hear, although I have never heard before. The fact that mewing can work a muscle under the mandible which can therefore widen the mandible sideways. This is definitely something I can use if true. Why is it never talked about as a remedy for achieving mandible width in the context of mewing ? Are you able to cite any research ?

As you can see, I would love what has happened to you, to happen to me @ansenmus

Why do you suppose there's research on everything? I didn't base my assumption on any factual evidence, I just assumed a muscle hypertrophying in the mandible will expand the mandible through low forces over time. Either way, it's been shown that the lower palate follows the upper palate in width. Look at expansion studies, they all report the expansion of the mandible even though there are no forces acting on it by any device.

At the simplest level, simply expanding the palate will expand against the coronoid and the head of the mandible, thus expanding the mandible as well.

I have the same problem as yours, but much lighter in intensity. I only have two front lower teeth not straight, probably because a part of my upper tooth broke.

IMO from your pictures, your palate is very narrow, you should just mew and expand the palate. I don't think your teeth will ever align by themselves though, expand the palate and then get night braces for adults.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2020 8:40 am
Mars321 liked