Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

FAGGA questions  

RSS
qwerty135
Eminent Member

Hi,

I recently met an orthodontist(who I was consulting regarding my underbite) who recommended the FAGGA appliance for me. Apparently they used to use the Alf Appliance, but FAGGA treatment time is much shorter supposedly. I did some research regarding both appliances, but wasn’t able to figure out: is there any main difference between the Alf and FAGGA methods? Is there any reason for the shorter FAGGA treatment time(ie are there any drawbacks as compared to Alf)?

And also, what is Dr. Mew’s opinion on FAGGA? I couldn’t find any instance of him mentioning it.

Posted : 07/02/2019 9:29 pm
Topic Tags
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Where are you at?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2019 1:46 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

There are SO many factors to consider in this choice. 

The first thing I'd look at if I were consulting a family memeber would be health.  If there are mental health issues... high blood pressure, etc... it would be good to see what the airway looks like.  Does the tongue fit or is there scalloping anywhere?  What's the intermolar width?  The airway is 3D...  Also, any issues with sinuses or nasal allergies?  Mouth breather vs. nose breather?  Anxiety level?  How are the turbinates looking?  Also... what the teeth look like... the arch shape.  What prior treatment, if any, has been done.  These questions do no necessarily result in one option or the other, but together there can be a bigger picture.   Also... any bruxism or TMD?  And very especially, the history of the jaws and their positioning.

Then the second thing I'd consider for a family member is aesthetics.... less so the aesthetics of the teeth themselves, but the aesthetics of the face.  The eye shape and size, the lip shape and size.  The facial changs desired (if any)?  What is the current difference in mm  for difference in forward gains needed?  What does the flesh of the face looks like, smiling and not smiling?  Issues with face length or face width?  Desired aesthetic appearance?  Any issues with tongue tie?  What do the buccal corridors look like?  Male or female?  Issues with weight?  What does the interior portion of the upper maxilla look like?  So many factors.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2019 1:53 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

One thing that may be of help is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMeYJOGo0C0

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2019 2:26 pm
James
Eminent Member

Which were the FAGGA practitioners that you saw?

I considered ALF, but it seemed really slow and I was unsure of whether it would give me enough sagittal growth (I probably need 7-8mm, which ALF cannot achieve). My myofunctional therapist has an ALF, and her treatment time has been 3 years, which just seems way too long. With FAGGA, I already have 4.2mm gaps in the 5th month. 

FAGGA is a long treatment time because of the braces phase, but it gives you more forward growth, and it gives you the forward growth "up front" in the first 6-8 months of the treatment process. Then there is 12-18 months in Controlled Arch braces which give transverse growth, and move the back teeth forward into the gaps left by the sagittal expansion phase.

A disadvantage of FAGGA is that you will lisp more, whereas the ALF is less obvious.

Practitioners tend to favor either ALF or FAGGA, and tend to not use a different appliance with different patients. ALF practitioners are often influenced by osteopathy, where ALF is often used to unravel cranial strains. However, it hasn't been shown that FAGGA can't help with cranial strains, and in fact, David Buck (FAGGA instructor) claims that it does.

Read Ronald Ead's blog for more info on FAGGA, and the big FAGGA thread here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2019 1:40 pm
opelecky

Hi James, I was hoping to reach out to you but I cannot figure how to send an individual message. 🙁 Are you a patient of Kathy's? My 13 y.o. son has been going to her and she mentioned Dr. Loller. His major problem is that his mandible is recessed. We wasted 2 years with Croazat and braces and now are looking into FAGGA. How long have you been the treatment? Thanks, Olga

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2019 10:59 am
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin
Posted by: opelecky

I cannot figure how to send an individual message. 

@opelecky
Top menu bar, My Account > Personal Messages

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2019 12:39 pm
Char
 Char

@james

how did your treatment go?   In my experience Agga was a total disaster and Loller does not  va have real training or experience in braces.   Teeth extruded. Face linger and narrower in the end.  Ruined my beautiful daughters face. We may need surgery. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 2:00 am
Char
 Char

@james

how did your treatment go?   In my experience Agga was a total disaster and Loller does not  va have real training or experience in braces.   Teeth extruded. Face became longer and narrower in the end.  Ruined my beautiful daughters face. We may need surgery.  I asked to stop treating people with this and I guess she didn’t. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 2:00 am
James
Eminent Member

@char My AGGA case also failed, due to relapse and a number of complications. My case turned out similar to the ones discussed in this video.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 2:12 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

I still wonder why people keep having interest in such appliances.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2020 4:42 pm