Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

Will braces hinder palate expansion?  

RSS
Noodles
(@noodles)

Hello,

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed!  I found ‘mewing’ and palate expansion after I had already started orthodontic treatment.

I will have had braces on a full 1 year and 8 months to date. I have been definitely committing to proper tongue posture, swallow technique.. etc. I really feel I have trained myself well (it feels second nature at this point).  I have been ‘mewing’ for maybe 8 months? 

My question is- will braces prevent any results? It seems logical to me that the wires would restrict movement... but maybe not?  I feel like I notice SOME changes, but I’m definitely not where I want to be.

Any thoughts or opinions are certainly welcome!  Thank you! 

*edit: I forgot to mention I am 26. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2018 4:57 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

What kind of braces are you using? I have been using Damon self ligating braces for the last 9 months to expand my arch. Both arches have expanded 1.5mm so it is possible but depends on what you have installed.

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2018 11:37 pm
Noodles
(@noodles)

I have traditional wire braces installed. They did put some expanders in my molars initially to create more room. I feel like my arch has broadened slightly. I still do not have enough room horizontally to fit my tongue.  The edges are scalloped from my teeth as a result. 

I don’t know- maybe if I hadn’t been mewing through the duration of my treatment I would have seen things go backwards and be more recessed?

Although I see a lot of people who have had traditional braces have well-developed faces too... so maybe they had it to begin with and braces only straightened the teeth. 

I will be curious to see what happens d once my braces are off

*also- congrats on your progress! That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience 

This post was modified 1 week  ago by Noodles
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 10:12 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

Thanks, though I am a bit disappointed with my braces. The shape of my arch has improved allot but the rate of expansion is underwhelming. That is why I got a small acrylic expander that fits inside my palate. I am seeing fast expansion now.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing what your doctor is doing, but in general braces don't narrow the arch unless the doctor makes them do so.

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2018 2:09 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register